Rumor: Backlund asked for a trade

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He was our best player this year imo. Best season of his career.

Trade everyone. We are likely stuck with Kadri, Markstrom and Huberdeau even with retention. Huberdeau can bounce back though. Kadri and Huberdeau will lead the blitzkreig to the bottom. I’d hold on to Mangiapane unless someone offers something decent.

We have other pieces that other teams will want. This team will be stuck in the middle for years if we don’t. Andersson, Hanifin, Weegar, Tanev you want a 2/3 D? We got lots.
Lindholm, Backlund. You want a two way center? we got it.
Toffoli. You want a scoring wing? we got it.
Zadorov. You want a physical beast on your blueline, we got it.
I love to have a few of those piece on the Oilers especial Backlund and Tanev, Just don't see anyway the Flames make a deal with the Oilers.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This guy is a great 3C on any team. Honestly everyone rips me for saying the oilers aren’t deep in there forward group. But for me adding Backlund absolutely would change that. They need defensive players in there bottom 6 more then anything ( even more then goaltending imo I seen Campbell play in Toronto and he was anything but the problem)

He'd be a phenomenal #3C for just about any team. Question is...does he want to be a 3rd Line Center? Or is that part of the issue here. He's a really good player, but he's a bit of a "tweener" who can give you Top-6 C type minutes and decent underlying numbers, but isn't necessarily going to give you the raw production you want out of that role. Like he's kind of a #2b Center. Is he going to be content getting moved somewhere else that he'd still effectively be the #3C?

I could see him being a perfect fit somewhere like Colorado, where they obviously have an opening at #2C and seem able to get a bit more mileage out of guys in that role than other teams. It'd also obviously give him that chance to chase a Cup as well.

Carolina is the other team that feels like a natural fit to me. He'd slot in really nicely to the defensive puck possession system they play, behind Aho as the #2C. Ahead of Staal, which would also free him up to play a little bit more offensively skewed minutes.

Boston would be interesting if they have the assets to acquire him and Bergeron and Krejci hang up those skates leaving some pretty massive holes at Center in an otherwise extremely good roster.

Minnesota would be another interest spot if they could figure out how to make the cap work. He'd immediately be their de facto top-line Center. He'd probably see a huge bump in his production if he got the chance to spend a season playing with Kaprizov in top offensive minutes He's a smart player who seems like he'd mesh well with what Kaprizov does in driving offense. Like a better version of what Hartman brings to that mix.

Nashville could also work, depending on where they're headed competitively speaking...where he'd probably take Granlund's vacated role between Forsberg and Duchene who can really carry the play offensively, but need that facilitator and defensive conscience between them. Pretty much exactly what Backlund could be for them.

Columbus is the other place where i could see him stepping directly into a top-line role. Did he ever really have much chemistry with Gaudreau though? I don't really recall that being the case. Mostly Monahan and later Lindholm. Maybe he'd fit better with Laine? There's also obviously questions about how competitive that team can be next year as well. They've got the potential to turn things around quickly with a few savvy moves and getting key players back, and that seems like the intent...but is getting Werenski back going to be enough to completely turn next season around? They also seem kinda zeroed in on Hayes instead anyway.

Reactions: Regal

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I love to have a few of those piece on the Oilers especial Backlund and Tanev, Just don't see anyway the Flames make a deal with the Oilers.
I couldn't do it. They'd fit too well and you guys would probably win the cup. I'd trade you Toffoli.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
3 thing CGY Owner need to do before GM trade any players.
1- Owner need to meet his GM or change him
2- Sutter Case need to be resolve or a lot of players will asking a trade
3- If they move Sutter the GM need to meet his core and decide how they can better next year
There is zero evidence that Sutter is universally disliked and that players will want out if he returns. Zero.

Bond

May 10, 2012
There is zero evidence that Sutter is universally disliked and that players will want out if he returns. Zero.
I mean, I think it is pretty clear there is. It was apparent in Sutter's reaction to getting asked on picking Nick Ritchie in the shootout. Kadri is clearly upset. Walsh calling out Sutter on twitter. Sutter got locked out of the Kings locker room. He has a shelf life.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I mean, I think it is pretty clear there is. It was apparent in Sutter's reaction to getting asked on picking Nick Ritchie in the shootout. Kadri is clearly upset. Walsh calling out Sutter on twitter. Sutter got locked out of the Kings locker room. He has a shelf life.

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Backlund all wanted out after winning the division and making the 2nd round of the playoffs. Rumblings of issues with Huberdeau, Kadri, and Lindholm now too. Additionally Valimaki didn't fancy his time under Sutter either and "enjoys going to the rink again".

I think that speaks volumes about how Darryl is viewed.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Kadri is a spoiled prima-donna so I'd take anything he or his agent says with a huge dollop of salt.

I haven't heard Sutter reply of choosing Ritchie, but it if people want to cry about it I can imagine his response.

I do agree he has a shelf life, but he aslo said he came back to coaching because he wanted to win.

Obviously management agreed with that sentiment before they hired him and even after they extended him this past fall.

Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
When things go bad, who would want to live and play in Calgary. Cold, Dead and then add that decrepit Arena.

just attended one game this season at the Saddledome, and was shocked that an NHL franchise in a hockey city plays in that type of dump in 2023. Go full rebuild and start off by getting an Arena approval. That might help. Just saying.

Feel for Flames fans who want what's good for the team. Don't feel for Flames fans who act like the Flames are just fine as they are.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

When things go bad, who would want to live and play in Calgary. Cold, Dead and then add that decrepit Arena.

just attended one game this season at the Saddledome, and was shocked that an NHL franchise in a hockey city plays in that type of dump in 2023. Go full rebuild and start off by getting an Arena approval. That might help. Just saying.

Feel for Flames fans who want what's good for the team. Don't feel for Flames fans who act like the Flames are just fine as they are.
Yes we have our issues. We refuse to rebuild. We have an old rink. But we didn't soak the taxpayers of the city or have 5 top 3 picks in 7 years. In fact we've never had a top 3 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

I don't think so either given your wording, but he sounds like he lives down the block from Mike Keenan in terms of philosophy and you can shoot that into the sun.

This is also Sutter's second time with the Flames. If players responses are to leave or ask to be traded, well, who else do you blame?

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think so either given your wording, but he sounds like he lives down the block from Mike Keenan in terms of philosophy and you can shoot that into the sun.

This is also Sutter's second time with the Flames. If players responses are to leave or ask to be traded, well, who else do you blame?
2nd time with what, more than a decade in between? I'm pretty confident that there are new players here.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Get rid of Backlund, it’s not like he’s done anything for the franchise. He’s the Swedish Matt Stajan, good player but not good enough to be a difference maker. What has he ever won? Nothing. He won’t be missed.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I’m guessing Backlund wanted out after Gaudreau left and Tkachuk announced he was leaving. He may have rescinded it when Calgary tried to rebuild on the fly. He’s in his early 30s and wouldn‘t want to be around for a rebuild. Can’t blame him.

Reactions: viper0220

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I mean, the problem with the Arena deal in Calgary is that they've refused to get taken to the cleaners to line the owners pockets like Edmonton did, and taxpayers are now footing the bill. There's also a lot of politicking going on, where some of the pieces cracking and falling off the exterior making it look extra decrepit, are being left to try to force the city's hand in getting that new sweetheart deal done. It would be a cheap and easy fix, but it's being deliberately left to look shabby and try to embarrass the city into a new building.

But that probably does have an impact as far as the players are concerned. It probably doesn't feel like they're being invested in the way they'd like when you look down the QEII at Edmonton's shiny new taxpayer burden of a building. It's also a high profile market where the players don't necessarily have a lot of privacy or anonymity. That's particularly a factor if things aren't going well.

But there certainly also is a factor with Sutter as the coach, where his approach might not be a lot of players' favourite. He is a bit "old school" and clearly doesn't believe in "coddling" the players. That can wear thin over time, and especially again...if things aren't going well on the ice like this season.

I think the other factor that gets overlooked in this is Treliving as the GM. The way he manages his roster feels very "businesslike" and "impersonal". Like he's running a Boston Pizza restaurant franchise rather than a sports team at times.

I think you combine all of those factors and it's easy to see where the players may feel a bit underappreciated. More so than the climactic concerns...where Calgary is no more cold and dead than Edmonton or whatever. The chance to play with a pair of generational talents kinda outweighs that...which Calgary doesn't have.

Reactions: McFlash97

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

So what exactly do you know about Calgary? Come on, out with it.

It is apparent you know diddly-squat.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So what exactly do you know about Calgary? Come on, out with it.

It is apparent you know diddly-squat.
He knows that it's a city that consistently makes the best places in the world to live lists. He knows his city only makes the most dangerous cities in Canada to live in lists. The jealousy and insecurity in his posts are obvious.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
He knows that it's a city that consistently makes the best places in the world to live lists. He knows his city only makes the most dangerous cities in Canada to live in lists. The jealousy and insecurity in his posts are obvious.

Calgary? The city with the highest inequality in Canada? That Calgary?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Calgary? The city with the highest inequality in Canada? That Calgary?

This Calgary. Strongest GDP, highest standard of living. Inequality is because there are so many wealthy individuals. Calgary is the strongest city for average wage in Canada. No one is unequal if everyone is equally poor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad