Rumor: Backlund asked for a trade

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Would love to have him on the Jackets, but if he's making the request I'd assume it's because he's chasing a Cup, so...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Most teams can't afford to have a 3rd line center making $5.3 million next year was my point.

Lindholm has real value.
Backlund isn't a 3rd line center. He's closer to a 1st line center than a 3rd line center. He shuts down elite players and puts up 50 points. He wins the battle against 1st lines every single year for the last 7 to 8 years. 5.3 is nothing for what he brings. Guys like Danault, Backlund and JEE make teammates better and win you games. He's very close to Lindholm in terms of on ice value. He's better defensively and possession wise. He's still good offensively.

Would love to have him on the Jackets, but if he's making the request I'd assume it's because he's chasing a Cup, so...
Lindholm extended would be a good fit for the Jackets actually. Backlund would too but I think it's unlikely he extends there.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Backlund isn't a 3rd line center. He's closer to a 1st line center than a 3rd line center. He shuts down elite players and puts up 50 points. He wins the battle against 1st lines every single year for the last 7 to 8 years. 5.3 is nothing for what he brings. Guys like Danault, Backlund and JEE make teammates better and win you games. He's very close to Lindholm in terms of on ice value. He's better defensively and possession wise. He's still good offensively.

Lindholm extended would be a good fit for the Jackets actually. Backlund would too but I think it's unlikely he extends there.
Funny that Backlund is defacto the 3rd line center in Calgary then eh?

The "problem" is that any team wanting to add him will see him as a 3rd line guy to complement 2 scoring centers much like how Bo got moved out from here.

The difference being that Backlund will be 35 next year.

This year was a lso an offesnvie bump that went agasint the trend for the last 5 or 6 years for him.

Ironically the Flames signed the MVP of the bump year last year in Kadri.

Backlund is a fine player and we could use him in Vancouver but we can't afford him and also aren't just 1 player away either

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Lindholm would be solid but depending on the lottery not their most pressing need. Backlund fills the same role for us he does For Calgary. If Columbus gets a top 3 pick they have Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson-Johnson as top 6 centers.

The much bigger need is defense

Reactions: majormajor

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

The "problem" is that any team wanting to add him will see him as a 3rd line guy to complement 2 scoring centers much like how Bo got moved out from here.

This year was a lso an offesnvie bump that went agasint the trend for the last 5 or 6 years for him.

Backlund is a fine player and we could use him in Vancouver but we can't afford him and also aren't just 1 player away either
He’s second in the Flames amongst all forward in Even-Strength TOI/GP and in total TOI/GP. He plays more at ES than Lindholm. He plays more in total than Kadri. So it’s kind of factually incorrect that he’s the Flames third line center.

He’s not a traditional third line center by any means and would be the second line center on any number of “good” teams around the league. Just because he doesn’t fit the typical scoring profile doesn’t mean he is utilization isn’t higher or more efficient than a ton of centers that are traditionally called “second line” centers. He’s a top six center in the Danault, JEE, Cirelli mold.

His age is pretty much negated by his having only one year left. If the Flames do 50% retention he becomes an extremely valuable rental asset.

C7-EC0221-BF9-A-42-F3-95-A1-5515-F5-E5-CD2-E.jpg

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He’s second in the Flames amongst all forward in Even-Strength TOI/GP and in total TOI/GP. He plays more at ES than Lindholm. He plays more in total than Kadri. So it’s kind of factually incorrect that he’s the Flames third line center.

He’s not a traditional third line center by any means and would be the second line center on any number of “good” teams around the league. Just because he doesn’t fit the typical scoring profile doesn’t mean he is utilization isn’t higher or more efficient than a ton of centers that are traditionally called “second line” centers. He’s a top six center in the Danault, JEE, Cirelli mold.

His age is pretty much negated by his having only one year left. If the Flames do 50% retention he becomes an extremely valuable rental asset.

C7-EC0221-BF9-A-42-F3-95-A1-5515-F5-E5-CD2-E.jpg
I know the depth charts and with those 3 centers and they very good back end one would think the playoffs would be happening eh?

Also good luck getting value in a trade in the off season that's the reality of the NHL salary cap and the NHL right now not a knock on him as a player.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I know the depth charts and with those 3 centers and they very good back end one would think the playoffs would be happening eh?

Also good luck getting value in a trade in the off season that's the reality of the NHL salary cap and the NHL right now not a knock on him as a player.
Im not a Flames fan so don’t really care what is value is. I do know the defending Stanley Cup champs would jump at the chance to add Backlund at $2.6 million for only a one season commitment given that he averages 19-20 of excellent play per night including the ability to log one v one minutes against other top lines while being a great possession player with skating, insane grit, good playmaking and the ability to contribute on both special teams. Backlund is basically the least of the Flames problems.

He’s a great player. Calling him a third liner or suggesting that retained he can’t generate interest is selling him far too short. A rental of his caliber at $2.6-3.5 million is an absolutely pittance.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Backlund is the prototypical CGY player to me, he represents their organization better than Johnny or Tkachuk ever did.

He is fine. Not very offensively gifted, but above average defensively. Not particularly exciting to watch but doesn't make many mistakes. Doesn't have a high ceiling, but a high floor. You get no sense from him that there is more, he just is what he is.
I felt until they lost him in the expansion draft that it was Giordano.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Im not a Flames fan so don’t really care what is value is. I do know the defending Stanley Cup champs would jump at the chance to add Backlund at $2.6 million for only a one season commitment given that he averages 19-20 of excellent play per night including the ability to log one v one minutes against other top lines while being a great possession player with skating, insane grit, good playmaking and the ability to contribute on both special teams. Backlund is basically the least of the Flames problems.

He’s a great player. Calling him a third liner or suggesting that retained he can’t generate interest is selling him far too short.
I never said that he can't generate interest retrained but it seems that me calling him a salary dump created a storm here and most players look way better at half retention sure.

The thing is that if he gets moved it's for a 3rd line center type of role and he isn't going to bring back very much.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I’d take him on Vancouver if you want a scoring winger back. It would solve our 3C issue without using extra cap, costs us a younger player tho.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

He isn't the Flames defacto 3rd line center. Take a look at their ice times. Kadri is their third line center. He was 2C for the cup Champs last year. Backlund played slightly more than Lindholm.

Lindholm would be solid but depending on the lottery not their most pressing need. Backlund fills the same role for us he does For Calgary. If Columbus gets a top 3 pick they have Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson-Johnson as top 6 centers.

The much bigger need is defense
It was more his chemistry with Gaudreau. Lindholm is similar to Backlund in a lot of ways. Not quite as good defensively or possession wise. But still good. Better shot and finish.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

. 890 goaltending. Kadri and Huberdeau. Dutter using Lucic and Lewis continuously inappropriately. These were our issues. Backlund was fantastic. Like he is every single year.

Reactions: wetcoast

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Given how many folks left the organization and they not making the playoffs, I'd expect Nutter Butter Dutter Sutter to be fah-fah-fired. Losing the players he did is unforgivable, especially if he's the cause.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Also I think that's a misuse of the word rescind.
Usually you can't rescind something someone else does, you can only rescind what you've done. Sorta like revoke.
So Backlund can rescind his trade request, but the Flames can't rescind the request, because they didn't make the request. The Flames can deny the request.
hey...it's hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad