Rumor: Backlund asked for a trade

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
3 thing CGY Owner need to do before GM trade any players.
1- Owner need to meet his GM or change him
2- Sutter Case need to be resolve or a lot of players will asking a trade
3- If they move Sutter the GM need to meet his core and decide how they can better next year

Aug 3, 2010
To be clear about the "Dutter" nickname - I came up with it years ago on the HFFlames board years ago when Brent Sutter coached and Darryl GM'd.

Dutter and Butter to easily differentiate the brothers in their respective roles.

Not really a reason to use Dutter now because Butter isn't around but maybe it's a bit of a pejorative now.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
To be clear about the "Dutter" nickname - I came up with it years ago on the HFFlames board years ago when Brent Sutter coached and Darryl GM'd.

Dutter and Butter to easily differentiate the brothers in their respective roles.

Not really a reason to use Dutter now because Butter isn't around but maybe it's a bit of a pejorative now.
My goal in using it is definitely pejorative. I like his systems. It's the roster decisions and player usage that's puzzling.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Backlund is the prototypical CGY player to me, he represents their organization better than Johnny or Tkachuk ever did.

He is fine. Not very offensively gifted, but above average defensively. Not particularly exciting to watch but doesn't make many mistakes. Doesn't have a high ceiling, but a high floor. You get no sense from him that there is more, he just is what he is.
Agree but that being said the only way they trade him is for another bad contract one would think?

Lucic is off the books I think he might be done as an NHL player.....

• Haha
Reactions: Conbon

Bond

May 10, 2012
Agree but that being said the only way they trade him is for another bad contract one would think?

Backlund doesn't need a bad contract coming back. Solid defensively and got 55 points this season and has one season left. He has value.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
tdl is over. you're looking at the offseason.

yea at half he'll get interest.
Why are we looking at offseason when he's under contract for another year? At full salary there would be tons of interest. Backlund is one of the best shutdown centers in the league and he just scored 20 and 55 points. He's also an elite PKer. He leads our forward group in ice time and everyone who plays with him is better for it. I'll repeat, I don't want to trade him unless he won't re-sign.

Backlund is not even close to being a cap dump. Seravalli reported multiple teams offering multiple assets for both him and Lindholm. He's a great value contract for any team that does more homework than looking at the back of a hockey card. He's top 10 in possession every single year. Doesn't matter who he plays with, they become better. He turned AHLers like Colborne and Bouma into 20 goal scorers. He turned Mangiapane from a 15 goal guy to a 35 goal guy. Backlund is a flat out great hockey player.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Why are we looking at offseason when he's under contract for another year? At full salary there would be tons of interest. Backlund is one of the best shutdown centers in the league and he just scored 20 and 55 points. He's also an elite PKer. He leads our forward group in ice time and everyone who plays with him is better for it. I'll repeat, I don't want to trade him unless he won't re-sign.
offseason is the next big trade period.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Not going anywhere, Treveling (contract not renewed) and Sutter will be fired this weekend. End of story.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He's still a helluva hockey player. Frankly he's getting better with age.

55 points in 81 games for a career high with only 12 of those points on the PP and frankly a low shooting percentage of 7.4%, +23 on a mediocre team, awesome defensively and a warrior on the ice.

He may not strike you as a typical #2 scoring center but he's an elite metrics guy who can log 18-21 minutes a night as one of your best centers in the mold of a Phil Danault.

If the Flames are willing to retain I would hope the Avs would be all over this for a rental for next year...he's exactly the kind of play driver that the Avs' analytics team would peg as a target and he's a bargain at $2.6 million. I'd say it's a really, really good bet he has at least one more very good year left in the locker. And after that you can walk away or sign him to a veteran 35+ deal for cheap.

Third straight year he's been outstanding across the board:

G2hkmKX.png

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He was our best player this year imo. Best season of his career.

Trade everyone. We are likely stuck with Kadri, Markstrom and Huberdeau even with retention. Huberdeau can bounce back though. Kadri and Huberdeau will lead the blitzkreig to the bottom. I’d hold on to Mangiapane unless someone offers something decent.

We have other pieces that other teams will want. This team will be stuck in the middle for years if we don’t. Andersson, Hanifin, Weegar, Tanev you want a 2/3 D? We got lots.
Lindholm, Backlund. You want a two way center? we got it.
Toffoli. You want a scoring wing? we got it.
Zadorov. You want a physical beast on your blueline, we got it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Backlund is not even close to being a cap dump. Seravalli reported multiple teams offering multiple assets for both him and Lindholm. He's a great value contract for any team that does more homework than looking at the back of a hockey card. He's top 10 in possession every single year. Doesn't matter who he plays with, they become better. He turned AHLers like Colborne and Bouma into 20 goal scorers. He turned Mangiapane from a 15 goal guy to a 35 goal guy. Backlund is a flat out great hockey player.
Most teams can't afford to have a 3rd line center making $5.3 million next year was my point.

Lindholm has real value.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
This guy is a great 3C on any team. Honestly everyone rips me for saying the oilers aren’t deep in there forward group. But for me adding Backlund absolutely would change that. They need defensive players in there bottom 6 more then anything ( even more then goaltending imo I seen Campbell play in Toronto and he was anything but the problem)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad