Back up goalie

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They also have former Flyer property Joacim Eriksson who is getting close to being ready to be in the NHL. They have a log jam in the nets and someone is going to have to go or be lost to an RFA offer sheet. Markstrom is an RFA with a $1.4M deal and Ericsson is at $925K.
No he's not.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
Well they do have Fucale in the pipeline, and im sure Tokarski and his agent know that he will never be getting the starter job in Montreal. As far as available, im sure he could be had for a decent price.

Maybe something around Tokarski + Mtl 1st in 15 for Brayden Schenn. I think Mtl would have to add, but I'm not too sure how much.

Also we have Mike Condon as well, he is NHL ready now, less proven than Tokarski, but still a very good goalie. He will be relegated to splitting time with fucale next season, which isn't so great for either tendy.

Last edited:

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
All Trades are just idea's, some may overpaid/underpaid. Feel free to adjust.

Luke Schenn + Brayden Schenn to MTL for Dustin Tokarski + Beaulieu + 1st (26)
Mark Streit + 2nd + Vincent Lecavalier (50% retained) to FLR for Vincent Trocheck +
Draft (7) Barzal + (25) + Carlo + (27) Bittner

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Troceck-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Laughton
White-Bellemare-Vandevelde
Umberger

Beaulieu-Streit
Del Zotto-Schultz
Macdonald-Medvedev

Mason
Tokarski

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
All Trades are just idea's, some may overpaid/underpaid. Feel free to adjust.

Luke Schenn + Brayden Schenn to MTL for Dustin Tokarski + Beaulieu + 1st (26)
Mark Streit + 2nd + Vincent Lecavalier (50% retained) to FLR for Vincent Trocheck +
Draft (7) Barzal + (25) + Carlo + (27) Bittner

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Troceck-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Laughton
White-Bellemare-Vandevelde
Umberger

Beaulieu-Streit
Del Zotto-Schultz
Macdonald-Medvedev

Mason
Tokarski

Yeah, I don't think Mtl will be moving Beaulieu any time soon as he is the hier apparent to Markov. Also we have no need for Luke Schenn as we are trying to move a d man to open space for Petry's resigning.

I know the Flyers need a LW, which in turns makes the Habs a bad trade partner. I really think the flyers will have an easier time signing a LW, therefore the pick is more valuable than anything we can offer up in terms of cheap NHL ready talent.

The Habs don't really need to move a goalie, but, if it opens up a door to negotiate with flyers, I'd be all for it.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Maybe something around Tokarski + Mtl 1st in 15 for Brayden Schenn. I think Mtl would have to add, but I'm not too sure how much.

Also we have Mike Condon as well, he is NHL ready now, less proven than Tokarski, but still a very good goalie. He will be relegated to splitting time with fucale next season, which isn't so great for either tendy.

You would trade a guy that is scoring over .5PPG over the last three seasons, and really getting better each season, and is only going to be 24 next year...for a backup goalie and a late first round pick (who, in all likelihood will wind up to be a player comparable to Brayden Schenn...in 3-4 years)? That seems like a bad trade. There is no reason that Schenn can't be a 50-60 point player in this league. **** he scored 47 last year and all anyone did was talk about how much he sucks. Imagine if he improved only slightly.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Vancouver are paying nearly $10 mil on goalies with Miller and Lack. They will either move one of them and bring up Markstrom or trade Markstrom as he will not want to stay in the AHL.

Question is how much would you give up for him as a RFA as he has not been very good in his NHL starts but has a ton of potential??

I think Markstrom is one of those guys who could emerge quite well if given a chance to play as the steady backup. Plus, it's an ideal time to try him because the bar for competition is arguably low this coming season: they could compete for a playoff spot and as much as the FO publicly commits to being a playoff team, I don't expect anyone to be jumping out of windows if they miss again.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
You would trade a guy that is scoring over .5PPG over the last three seasons, and really getting better each season, and is only going to be 24 next year...for a backup goalie and a late first round pick (who, in all likelihood will wind up to be a player comparable to Brayden Schenn...in 3-4 years)? That seems like a bad trade. There is no reason that Schenn can't be a 50-60 point player in this league. **** he scored 47 last year and all anyone did was talk about how much he sucks. Imagine if he improved only slightly.

I see what you are saying, I've followed him for a while since he's come to Philly. It seems like a lot of fans wouldn't mind seeing him traded as he doesn't have a place in the lineup. His best position is RW, and that's where the Flyers have the most depth. They don't need D or C either. So as a Habs fan I know we aren't great trade partners because we are both looking for the same thing in wingers. But we do have a bunch of high skill LW prospects, the only trouble is that they are small. Originally I thought the 1st and Reway (he has the highest upside of all our LW prospects but is a year or two away) might work, but then seeing you need a goalie got me thinking. Also the Flyers have a much easier time attracting free agents, so it would come as no surprise to see you sign Belesky or MSL for a year until a better crop becomes available.

More on topic, why don't you guys just throw a pile of cash at Alex Lyon and try to get him to turn pro?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I see what you are saying, I've followed him for a while since he's come to Philly. It seems like a lot of fans wouldn't mind seeing him traded as he doesn't have a place in the lineup. His best position is RW, and that's where the Flyers have the most depth. They don't need D or C either. So as a Habs fan I know we aren't great trade partners because we are both looking for the same thing in wingers. But we do have a bunch of high skill LW prospects, the only trouble is that they are small. Originally I thought the 1st and Reway (he has the highest upside of all our LW prospects but is a year or two away) might work, but then seeing you need a goalie got me thinking. Also the Flyers have a much easier time attracting free agents, so it would come as no surprise to see you sign Belesky or MSL for a year until a better crop becomes available.

More on topic, why don't you guys just throw a pile of cash at Alex Lyon and try to get him to turn pro?

Ahhh, a Habs fan...now I get it. Haha. I would prefer to keep Schenn here, as I think he gets a bad rap because he was once labeled the best player not the in the NHL. He's not going to live up to that hype, and I don't envision him as a PPG superstar, but I think he is solidly improving into a 50-60 point player. If the right deal came along, I'd be fine with moving him, but a backup goalie and a late first rounder is not the right move.

I am not familiar with Alex Lyon.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware

If he ever reached 60 points I'd be completely shocked, his hockey iq is flat out pathetic, when he doesn't have the puck he is lost and doesn't seem to find open spaces very often, that in itself will make it damn near impossible for him to be a 60 point player, however I wouldn't make that trade either

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
Ahhh, a Habs fan...now I get it. Haha. I would prefer to keep Schenn here, as I think he gets a bad rap because he was once labeled the best player not the in the NHL. He's not going to live up to that hype, and I don't envision him as a PPG superstar, but I think he is solidly improving into a 50-60 point player. If the right deal came along, I'd be fine with moving him, but a backup goalie and a late first rounder is not the right move.

I am not familiar with Alex Lyon.

He plays for Yale, and is probably the best goalie in the NCAA. He will have a bidding war over his services next spring after his junior season. He also played for team USA at the world championships this spring.

True to the 1st and Tokarski, I wouldn't make that move either. The Reway + 1st +would be more along the lines I would consider, especially with the way Hextal wants to compile young assets. The trouble with my proposal is exactly that, Schenn is a young controllable asset. Oh well, good luck with the offseason, hopefully you guys can move some of the cap anchors so that the flyers can get back on track. Getting rid of berube was a good 1st step.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If he ever reached 60 points I'd be completely shocked, his hockey iq is flat out pathetic, when he doesn't have the puck he is lost and doesn't seem to find open spaces very often, that in itself will make it damn near impossible for him to be a 60 point player, however I wouldn't make that trade either

I think that all of Brayden Schenn's shortcomings are magnified due to the hype and the fact that the trade was controversial at the time. He's not a superstar, but it is a strange argument to make that a player with such low hockey IQ is still somehow scoring a point every other game. The dude was 5th on the team in scoring, right behind Wayne Simmonds, who played a handful of games less than Schenn. If his hockey IQ is that bad...how is he doing that?

And keep in mind I am not saying he is this great player that should be kept at all cost. I said a 50-60 point player...not 60+ point player. He's a good player. He should be able to consistently score in the 50s. The Flyers were a bottom third scoring team and he nearly got there. If the right deal came along I'd be fine trading him, but this isn't a situation of trading some dead-weight player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hextall will find a suitable back-up in UFA. There is no reason to trade any valuable asset for one. If he can't find a suitable backup via UFA, Vancouver is reportedly asking for a 2nd round pick for Eddie Lack. Now that we have Chicagos 2nd in 2016, they could always offer either their own 2nd or Chicagos for Lack.

Brayden Schenn will never be traded for a package involving a back-up goalie and a late 1st.

The only way I see him moved is in a package to get an upgrade at LW that is a similar age.

I.E. Schenn brothers for Ryan O'Reilly (of course we'd have to dump Lecavalier or Umberger on someone first)

SchennSational1022*

Guy trying to knock Brayden Schenn saying he sucks at finding open spaces, do you even watch him :laugh:?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Guy trying to knock Brayden Schenn saying he sucks at finding open spaces, do you even watch him :laugh:?

Yep. If there is one thing Brayden Schenn does not lack it is an instinctive ability to get completely free around the net for tap ins. He has a Ruud van Nistelrooij-esque ability to get free with no marker at exactly the right moment.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Yeah, I was about to make a similar comment. I don't think any trade should be made for a backup goalie, let alone one involving B. Schenn. Tokarski isn't bad, but goalies like that are (almost) a dime a dozen. We can certainly do at least as well on the UFA market (not restricting ourselves to just the current NHL goalies).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad