Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Season Date Injury
2014-2015 Feb 9 Lower-body injury
2014-2015 Jan 11 Knee
2014-2015 Jan 7 Undisclosed injury
2014-2015 Dec 19 Upper-body injury
2013-2014 Apr 13 Upper-body injury

He had a rough year last year, but nothing indicates that they are 'prone' to infuries in the future. A good back up would be a good idea, but it's not like Mike Green is playing in net.
Thanks, but is that just with the Flyers, or did he never have any injuries earlier? Also, where did you get that info? I'm not going to call him injury prone just yet, but I'd be hard-pressed to deny that what's been happening this year has been worrying.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm with you on this one. Raanta gets a lot of hype, but lost his spot this year playing behind one of the better defenses in the league. I struggle to believe he would play adequately behind our average at best defense. at least Enroth and Neuvirth played decently when they were in Buffalo, on a really bad team.

Ray Emery went 17-1 .922 SV% 1.94 GAA behind Chicago's defense. I agree, we should not look at those stats as real.

Go after a goalie who has played well behind a bad defense, like ours will be.

pdg123

Apr 21, 2015
I would go for a Lehner if it meant the Flyers could send off a defenceman or two to Ottawa. I suppose they could "go with what they know" and bring back Emery or Zepp, though it sounded unlikely that either would be returning.

The domestic UFA market for backups is pretty miserable for this July, with Budaj, Neuvirth, and Gustavsson appearing to be the best options available. With more than a month to the free agent period, there is a chance none of these goalies are available. What do you do then? There are potential secondary options that may also be gone, like Fasth, Enroth, Greiss, or Ellis. Beyond that you're scraping the bottom of the barrel with guys like Hackett and Lindback, who led the tanking tandem for Buffalo post-deadline because of how bad they were.

Of course, the other option is a European goalie, who likely would come at an even smaller cap hit than Emery's, depending on their age and credentials (players 27 and under from Europe who sign their first NHL contract are subject to ELC rules).

Given these options, the European market seems to be the best option for the Flyers, especially if you can get a guy at around age 23-26. Not saying that you can't get a good veteran goalie aged 28+, but you can guarantee a small cap hit for players 27 and younger coming from Europe.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Thanks, but is that just with the Flyers, or did he never have any injuries earlier? Also, where did you get that info? I'm not going to call him injury prone just yet, but I'd be hard-pressed to deny that what's been happening this year has been worrying.

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/steve-mason-player-injuries

I'd imagine its at least somewhat reliable. And trying to go back throughout the year, those match was was released by the team, to my memory.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I would go for a Lehner if it meant the Flyers could send off a defenceman or two to Ottawa. I suppose they could "go with what they know" and bring back Emery or Zepp, though it sounded unlikely that either would be returning.

The domestic UFA market for backups is pretty miserable for this July, with Budaj, Neuvirth, and Gustavsson appearing to be the best options available. With more than a month to the free agent period, there is a chance none of these goalies are available. What do you do then? There are potential secondary options that may also be gone, like Fasth, Enroth, Greiss, or Ellis. Beyond that you're scraping the bottom of the barrel with guys like Hackett and Lindback, who led the tanking tandem for Buffalo post-deadline because of how bad they were.

Of course, the other option is a European goalie, who likely would come at an even smaller cap hit than Emery's, depending on their age and credentials (players 27 and under from Europe who sign their first NHL contract are subject to ELC rules).

Given these options, the European market seems to be the best option for the Flyers, especially if you can get a guy at around age 23-26. Not saying that you can't get a good veteran goalie aged 28+, but you can guarantee a small cap hit for players 27 and younger coming from Europe.

The problem with Lehner is three-fold.

1) He costs alot for a back up. 2.25 mil, i believe?
2) Sens fans still value him as the goalie of the future. It's unlikely we can get him for any of our current roster d men.
3) This is just my opinion, but, hes just not that good. I feel like he has very hot and very cold periods. And if he enters a cold period when Mason gets hurt, we dont have a Hammonds to come in and take his spot.

Again, give me a Neuvirth/Enroth/Greiss for 1-1.25, and ill be ok. But even then, i wonder if those guys will go so cheap.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah, it looks like that only covers the time he's been with the Flyers.

He had knee surgery before his rookie year, and dealth with a bout of Mono. Outside of that, I don't remember too much going on with him. Any of his missed time outside of that was likely just due to poor play.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Since the Flyers seem to be looking overseas, I wonder if there's any renewed interest in that Austrian goaltender, Starkbaum. Rumors had the Flyers interested in signing him a couple of seasons ago.

SchennSational1022*

Neuvirth is the best UFA goalie this summer for my money, hope they sign him. Great backup

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
I really think that with the situation in Chicago (Darling's good season, cap space), we could get Raanta for cheap.
Just don't want us paying Lehner 2.25, and Neuvirht will probably wan't no less.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Starkbaum is Lindbloms goalie at Brynas...

he does not stink, and he could definitely be a good AHL goalie. IMO he is one of the best goalies in the SHL all things considered. I think he is a pretty similar level to Zepp tbh.

But what I would say is the guy has poor consistency. He can look like a world beater and is capable of winning games on his own, and makes ridiculous saves quite often... but he is also prone to softies and backbreakers.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Starkbaum is Lindbloms goalie at Brynas...

he does not stink, and he could definitely be a good AHL goalie. IMO he is one of the best goalies in the SHL all things considered. I think he is a pretty similar level to Zepp tbh.

But what I would say is the guy has poor consistency. He can look like a world beater and is capable of winning games on his own, and makes ridiculous saves quite often... but he is also prone to softies and backbreakers.
Yeah. Not an NHL goalie.

When they were looking at signing him a couple years ago, he was coming off a pretty good year in his 1st year in the SHL. You could have made the case he was a late bloomer playing in the Austrian League his whole career, but he didn't seem to take the next step. He has been pretty bad every time I saw him play (mostly in international events) and he got torched at the Olympics. He turns 30 this year. I don't see him as a feasible option.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Greiss is the best backup available IMO.

Ramo may well have to take a cut to ~1.5-2 mill to get a deal if he does not resign.

Neuvirth is decent.

McElhinney is prone to awful games but is not that bad, he can do a solid job playing 25 games a year.

Enroth would be ok.

Everthing else out there is either unproven, too expensive, or turd.

Ramo probably doesn't leave Calgary, he's unlikely to move up anyone's ladder by leaving.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Yeah. Not an NHL goalie.

When they were looking at signing him a couple years ago, he was coming off a pretty good year in his 1st year in the SHL. You could have made the case he was a late bloomer playing in the Austrian League his whole career, but he didn't seem to take the next step. He has been pretty bad every time I saw him play (mostly in international events) and he got torched at the Olympics. He turns 30 this year. I don't see him as a feasible option.

we gotta do better than a zepp level backup. im looking at enroth as the low water mark...and in my opinion hes a hell of a lot better than zepp. again id kill for ramo. but im thinking its gonna be neuvirth, greiss or enroth.

saying that it will probably be some off the board euro that even appleyard hasnt heard of...

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm not enamored with Greiss. Like I said, he seems to be inconsistent; had some lousy minor league seasons not long ago; his "good" season was with Tippett, whose teams always seem to inflate goaltender stats; and I seem to recall questions about his work ethic.

If Neuvirth and Enroth both want in excess of $2M, which is probable, I'm really not sure whom to go with. I'd like to think there's a goalie in Europe who wants a crack at the NHL and is backup caliber at $1.5M or less.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
I'm not enamored with Greiss. Like I said, he seems to be inconsistent; had some lousy minor league seasons not long ago; his "good" season was with Tippett, whose teams always seem to inflate goaltender stats; and I seem to recall questions about his work ethic.

If Neuvirth and Enroth both want in excess of $2M, which is probable, I'm really not sure whom to go with. I'd like to think there's a goalie in Europe who wants a crack at the NHL and is backup caliber at $1.5M or less.

nope, me either. just think hes in the group of likely suspects. saw him play couple times for pens, including facing us, he was brutal. seriously did not look half as good as when he was under "tippets system". hope we dont take.

if it does come down to neuvirth/enroth its a toss-up for me as well.

Shadeslayer813

Jul 12, 2009
Fort Drum
is he available? consistent and even played well for habs when price was out in playoffs. love tokarski.

Well they do have Fucale in the pipeline, and im sure Tokarski and his agent know that he will never be getting the starter job in Montreal. As far as available, im sure he could be had for a decent price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad