Back up goalie

Fulton44*

Definitely down the list of top priorities for the Flyers this summer but I really think they need to upgrade the back up goaltender position. Ray Emery is pretty much done, just no lateral movement there anymore. With Steve Mason showing to have some injury issues from time to time I think its important that Hextall brings in a really good backup who can carry the load for short periods of time if need be and hold their own. I'm just going to throw a few options out there and am interested to see others thoughts on this.

Trade Market:

Robin Lehner
On the surface he'd be a real nice addition. He is young and has starters upside and could potentially be a starter down the road. Underneath the surface there are some concerns. He hadn't played this season from February on due to concussion issues. His cap hit is 2.25 million for the next two years and he is owed 3 million in 2016-2017 which is kind of high for a backup. Lastly, while the Senators will likely trade him I could see someone like Edmonton or Buffalo who is desperate to upgrade their goalie position give up a 2nd round pick and possibly something on top of that and I don't know if I'd want to give more than a 3rd for Lehner.

James Reimer
I like Reimer and think hes a better goalie than his numbers indicate playing behind an absolute dumpster fire of a team in recent years. That being said, again youd be taking on a high cap hit for a backup at 2.3 million and have to give up assets as well to trade for him. He's also a UFA next summer.

Other
Not sure what other options might be out there besides the two names listed above but I'd be interested to see if anyone has nay other ideas.

UFA Market:

It's a pretty thin market as of right now in terms of even quality backup goalies and some of them coul even re-sign before July 1st. I would rank the best options for the Flyers as follows:

Jhonas Enroth
Michal Neuvirth
Viktor Fast
Thomas Greiss

I guess if you are goin to consider option the last place to take a look at is internally with Rob Zep and potentially bringing Ray Emery back. My own personal opinion is that neither one is the answer.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
We definitely need a backup for next season. I wouldn't go out and get one that has a hit of over $1M. There are plenty of goalies who can be adequate backups for less than that.

That said, Antti Raanta is my guy. He put up a .936 SV% and 1.89 GAA this season in the few games he played. His career totals are about average at .912 and 2.41. I believe he could be had for cheap and he makes barely anything right now. 750K AAV. With Darling looking to be the go to guy to backup Crawford I do believe Raanta is available.

Fulton44*

Raanta is a good idea. Any idea what he might cost in terms of draft pick compensation?

Fulton44*

Raanta is under contract for the next years at a 750K cap hit and then he will be a UFA in July 2017. Would a 4th round pick be enough to get him?

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I'm bad at judging values of players, but I wouldn't imagine that it would cost more than a pick. He was undrafted and seems to be in the dog house in Chicago since Darling emerged. Plus, goalies are cheap anyway.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Raanta's not very good but anything is an upgrade to our backup slot.

I don't think we necessarily need a stud as our back up, and he's more than capable of filling that void behind Mason.

At his cap hit and with the value it'd take to get him, it'd be a huge pick up and a no-brainer, in my opinion.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah this is one of those elephant in the room issues with the Flyers...we def need a solid backup...not to mention some more goalie prospects. Such a tough position to draft and develop for unless you are the Rangers...

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
While i don't think he is the best backup out there, i would give Anders Lindback a try. I would want a backup who has at least played a good amount of games over the last few years in the NHL and he played pretty good to end the season in Buffalo last year. Plus he was making just under a million last year but his cap hit was something like 450k.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I wouldn't go the trade route. No use giving up an asset like a draft pick when there are a handful of fungible backups who can be signed as a free agent.

My top choices would probably be Neuvirth and Enroth.

Lindback was good in his brief Buffalo stint, but before that I had always considered him possibly the worst goaltender in the NHL not named Bryzgalov. Scouts love his size, but he whiffs on a lot of saves.

Fulton44*

I would explore trade options but I wouldn't take on anyone who would require more than a 4th round pick. We need to keep our picks and and is relates to goalies we should probably draft two goalies at some point this year.

I agree that Enroth and Neuvirth are the best options on the UFA market and I seriously doubt they get any consideration as even a split starter this summer. I'm thinking a two year deal for around 1.5 million AAV should be enough to land one of them.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Raanta's not very good but anything is an upgrade to our backup slot.
Haven't seen him play this year, but last year he was really bad. He was pulled probably half the games I've seen him play. Constantly letting in soft goals.

But I don't know. Maybe he was better this year...

Fulton44*

Whom would you guys prefer in free agency, Enroth or Neuvirth? I think they are pretty similar but I still think there is a little bit of upside for Enroth if he's on a decent team.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Haven't seen him play this year, but last year he was really bad. He was pulled probably half the games I've seen him play. Constantly letting in soft goals.

But I don't know. Maybe he was better this year...
Yeah, from what I've seen he was indeed better this year, and I agree that last year he was subpar.

Whom would you guys prefer in free agency, Enroth or Neuvirth? I think they are pretty similar but I still think there is a little bit of upside for Enroth if he's on a decent team.
Enroth seems to be the lesser of the two evils. Hopefully they stay away from both, though.

Fulton44*

Yeah, from what I've seen he was indeed better this year, and I agree that last year he was subpar.

Enroth seems to be the lesser of the two evils. Hopefully they stay away from both, though.
Who do you suggest they go after? They could do a lot worse than Enroth or Neuvirth as their backup goalie.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Who do you suggest they go after? They could do a lot worse than Enroth or Neuvirth as their backup goalie.
I don't really know, I haven't been paying too much attention to who's available, so it's hard for me to give you an opinion that's based on anything more than just liking a player. I just know that from what I've seen Neuvirth, I want him to stay far away, whereas Enroth looked a bit better to me, but I'm just not a fan of him in general. Like I said, I'd just explore other markets, too, before settling on just those that have already seen NHL time.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Enroth and Neuvirth are both borderline NHL starters and more than capable backups.
They both ask for above average backup money and more important significant playing time. Not sure Hextall would go this route but the quality is there.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't know that he would be a backup goalie next year, but whatever happened to Jack Campbell on the Stars? I thought for sure he was going to be a stud but he was playing in the ECHL last season. Does anyone have any insight into this guy? Is a victim of an overcrowded system in Dallas and that's why he is in the ECHL, or doe she just suck? He's an RFA and I imagine there wouldn't be much compensation, if any required to get him. Worth a shot or is he really that bad? He's only 23.

Maybe he'd be good to have in the system along with Stolie?

Other than that, my feelings on backup goalies are well known. You'd obviously like to have a good goalie back there, but in all likelihood it will be an Emery-caliber player.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Best part is we should have a better back up who is also cheaper than Rayzor. Hutch from Jets is still my target, would be strange having 2 lefties though on same team.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
dont know if its doable but if i had a no1 choice it would be jacob markstrom...great backup now that would no doubt be our starter down the road.

instead of getting some half ass backup now but worrying about having a future starter in your system somewhere or having to trade or pay big money to get one eventually.

he was outstanding in the ahl this past season and has all the tools to be a stud in the nhl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad