Back to the drawing board Chia.

McDeathbyCheerios*

How can you tell he is trying to make moves?
Cause him and McLellan have often said lately that they need to get bigger and stronger.

We also haven't seen or heard from Chia much this year, he must be doing something.

Plus most of the trade rumors ivs heard this year seemed to involve Edmonton in some way.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It appears the plan is to do nothing and hope the team magically starts winning. Maybe rotate another handful of #2 goalies into the #1 position next season and discover that they are in fact #2 goalies. Continue to sit on a relative wealth of offense and stunt their development while defensive depth glaringly lacks, and fail to attract UFAs to the Edmonton region.

Are Chia's hands tied by ownership? Why are Lowe & MacT still on the staff? Or does Chia honestly believe icing this roster has the potential to suddenly be successful? Puzzling is an understatement.

No. Chia said he wanted at least 20 games to evaluate, and it turns those 20 games have revealed some unexpected surprises.

For example, did anyone think, back in September, that RNH would be the odd man out? But, we now see that moving him might be the first move.

Davidson. A pleasant surprise, possibly making Schultz (or Reinhart) expendable.

Nilsson. Might be the long term starter.

And most importantly, we now see, without a shadow of a doubt, that the Hall core is not good enough, and not worth waiting for any longer. The jury is out and they have been found guilty.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Cause him and McLellan have often said lately that they need to get bigger and stronger.

We also haven't seen or heard from Chia much this year, he must be doing something.

Plus most of the trade rumors ivs heard this year seemed to involve Edmonton in some way.

I would love to work for you. Are you in a hiring capacity by any chance? ;)

"We haven't heard or seen of Replacement for sometime. He must be working hard doing something.":laugh::popcorn:

Sorry, but what an odd assumption. Usually a lack of due diligence is just that. Chia had to be called out by several of the local media to even step in front of a microphone and deliver the latest state of the union address. I think people just don't get it. This place is, and always was (since the dynasty) been a country club atmosphere. You think the management of this team are suddenly working harder than the players? Fat chance. Theres so many managers in this org they trip over each other grabbing the coffee and donuts.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I would love to work for you. Are you in a hiring capacity by any chance? ;)

"We haven't heard or seen of Replacement for sometime. He must be working hard doing something.":laugh::popcorn:

Sorry, but what an odd assumption. Usually a lack of due diligence is just that. Chia had to be called out by several of the local media to even step in front of a microphone and deliver the latest state of the union address. I think people just don't get it. This place is, and always was (since the dynasty) been a country club atmosphere. You think the management of this team are suddenly working harder than the players? Fat chance. Theres so many managers in this org they trip over each other grabbing the coffee and donuts.
Or maybe he isn't doing tons of media stuff because unlike past guys,he is busy working?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Or maybe he isn't doing tons of media stuff because unlike past guys,he is busy working?

Well, like I say that's a nice assumption. I'm not, obviously, as charitable with benefit of doubt. Chia in recent years was accused of doing next to nothing a lot, except for when he was trading away the clubs best players.

When a guy has to be dragged to the microphones to deliver a much needed state of the union address in the context of this org and respect of its fans it doesn't exactly tell me this guy is diligent or really that much on the ball. Could you imagine a Calgary GM going months without speaking to the media while his team was in last place? Or a GM in Toronto, Montreal? Yeah I can't either. They'd burn the Arenas down by then.

Don't entirely discount that coming to Edmonton is a nice cushy lifestyle job. Like it is for any of the other managers still employed here. The country club is real and they're all still tipping back the margaritas with Katz blessing. Theres no accountability with this org, none.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think we're so used to MacTavish's weekly press conferences that we forgot what it's like to have a real GM.
GMs don't normally talk to the public much in any city.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think we're so used to MacTavish's weekly press conferences that we forgot what it's like to have a real GM.
GMs don't normally talk to the public much in any city.

In any red blooded Canadian City GM's talk to the fanbase a whole lot more when things aren't going well. Of course we have no basis in which to compare to what extent they would have to speak to placate and deliver damage control. No other Canadian club in the history of the NHL has ever been this bad, or for this long.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Well, like I say that's a nice assumption. I'm not, obviously, as charitable with benefit of doubt. Chia in recent years was accused of doing next to nothing a lot, except for when he was trading away the clubs best players.

When a guy has to be dragged to the microphones to deliver a much needed state of the union address in the context of this org and respect of its fans it doesn't exactly tell me this guy is diligent or really that much on the ball. Could you imagine a Calgary GM going months without speaking to the media while his team was in last place? Or a GM in Toronto, Montreal? Yeah I can't either. They'd burn the Arenas down by then.

Don't entirely discount that coming to Edmonton is a nice cushy lifestyle job. Like it is for any of the other managers still employed here. The country club is real and they're all still tipping back the margaritas with Katz blessing. Theres no accountability with this org, none.

does placating fans and media improve the GMs ability to make a favourable trade? Sure, it's nice an all, but what does it really do for him?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
does placating fans and media improve the GMs ability to make a favourable trade? Sure, it's nice an all, but what does it really do for him?

Like I said its damage control and its done more just to calm the masses and buy some time. For most markets this would be a necessity. In "Hockey heartland" and "Oil Country" it seems as if its not demanded nearly enough.

For any org its a basic expectation to keep shareholders informed (in pro sporting world this be fans) and especially in cases of ongoing turmoil, poor productivity, poor return etc.

In most markets accountability and full explanations is demanded by abject dissatisfaction pronounced clearly at games, rallies, media, etc. In a lot of cities in Canada they have riots when hockey isn't going so well. Namely Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary. Not that I'd want any of that but over here its complain, yawn, fund new arena, dig ever deeper for tickets while not so much as doing anything effective to demand real change. This market is an easy mark for the Oilers. Always has been.

Last edited:

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Like I said its damage control and its done more just to calm the masses and buy some time. For most markets this would be a necessity. In "Hockey heartland" and "Oil Country" it seems as if its not demanded nearly enough.

There hasn't been a year in the last five that I can remember where we haven't had the GM of the day to mumble a bunch of platitudes into the cameras about how unacceptable the results are and how they are working on it blah blah blah. After so many empty words from Lowe, Tambo, MacT et al, I find the silence to be refreshing.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

For any org its a basic expectation to keep shareholders informed (in pro sporting world this be fans) and especially in cases of ongoing turmoil, poor productivity, poor return etc.

In most markets accountability and full explanations is demanded by abject dissatisfaction pronounced clearly at games, rallies, media, etc. In a lot of cities in Canada they have riots when hockey isn't going so well. Namely Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary. Not that I'd want any of that but over here its complain, yawn, fund new arena, dig ever deeper for tickets while not so much as doing anything effective to demand real change. This market is an easy mark for the Oilers. Always has been.

I think the fans have just stopped caring. What's the point in getting upset about the sun being hot, snow being cold, and the Oilers sucking?

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I'll agree with replacement on accountability. Do you guys really think a place like Montreal would allow for this much losing to continue? I'm sorry but I honestly think Montreal fans would riot if their team was this bad for 3 years straight let alone 10. However, replacement, you're as out to lunch as this "country club" you speak of. Don't forget, while the oilers floundered away with mact and Tambo, Chiarelli single handedly made the Bruins a contender and a Stanley Cup winner. He knows what he's doing, and you're jumping too quickly on a guy whose going to make you look foolish soon

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'll agree with replacement on accountability. Do you guys really think a place like Montreal would allow for this much losing to continue? I'm sorry but I honestly think Montreal fans would riot if their team was this bad for 3 years straight let alone 10. However, replacement, you're as out to lunch as this "country club" you speak of. Don't forget, while the oilers floundered away with mact and Tambo, Chiarelli single handedly made the Bruins a contender and a Stanley Cup winner. He knows what he's doing, and you're jumping too quickly on a guy whose going to make you look foolish soon
Like I've said. Chia is looking to do this right by spending time evaluating.

If by this time next year we have mostly the same lineup, and not in a playoff spot or close to one. Then I'll jump on the hate train.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Like I've said. Chia is looking to do this right by spending time evaluating.

If by this time next year we have mostly the same lineup, and not in a playoff spot or close to one. Then I'll jump on the hate train.

I agree although I would suggest a little tighter timeline. This team was never going to make the playoffs this season even if McDavid wasnt injured. That said this team needs to be competitive at some point in the 2nd half. They need to consistently execute the system and force other teams to beat them instead of giving away games.
That should be the goal this season IMO.
So this notion that Chiarelli should be held accountable for the team after 25 games is just a wee bit premature.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
For those who don't get it, this is what Chia is actually doing:

Teddy Purcell - $4.5m
Nikita Nikitin - $4.5m
Ben Scrivens - $2.3m
Eric Gryba - $1.5m
Ference buyout -$3.25m
(from what I understand this means Katz has to pay him two-thirds of double the amount of his last contracted year's salary, but all of it comes off the cap. Maybe he'll retire in exchange for a gig in the front office)
Justin Schultz - RFA - 3.9m

Also a ton of lesser players hitting RFA and UFA, considering the names I'd at least estimate $2m more coming off the cap.

That totals $18.05m more cap room without Shultz, unless we walk away from Schultz instead of either re-signing or move him as part of a big trade. If we walk or take on prospects for Schultz the cap room would then be $21.95m.

We'll have to pay at least one goalie, Talbot is UFA, Nilsson is RFA.

That would be more than enough room to make a huge trade or two - possibly for a quality RFA, sign at least one top free agent and bring in less expensive FA veterans to fill in spots. All of which are going to want to play with McDavid.

So why would he break up the core and take on other GM's cap problems to mess up this golden opportunity to remake the roster?

I get the fan urgency, 10 years is a long time. But bad moves by Lowe, Tambellini and MacT put us in a huge hole, and it will take some time to undo. I'd rather us have one more iffy season with the team getting better towards the end and Chia really fixing things this summer, hopefully when MacTavish and Howson are gone.

THIS. How people are unable to realize how much more productive it is to just let these ridiculous contracts come off the books rather than use buyouts/take on other cap dumps is beyond me. This was always going to be an evaluation year with (hopefully) some measure of improvement. A really significant goal differential improvement (despite a lack of corresponding standings improvement) is something at least. People are so short-sighted. I get it, we haven't had a sniff at playoffs in forever, it's frustrating. Let's not get jumpy as we near the real window for a major standings jump. That is all.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
THIS. How people are unable to realize how much more productive it is to just let these ridiculous contracts come off the books rather than use buyouts/take on other cap dumps is beyond me. This was always going to be an evaluation year with (hopefully) some measure of improvement. A really significant goal differential improvement (despite a lack of corresponding standings improvement) is something at least. People are so short-sighted. I get it, we haven't had a sniff at playoffs in forever, it's frustrating. Let's not get jumpy as we near the real window for a major standings jump. That is all.

All these are fair points regarding the mess in support players Chiarelli has to clean-up. Nonetheless, it remains disappointing to see our young "core" players like Yakupov (sans McDavdi), RNH, and Eberle flounder on the past road trip. I think it has been clear from watching them for years that hoping they could be the key components of a #1 line in the Western Conference was wishful thinking; however, to watch them struggle as a #2 line against Eastern Conference teams is a clear blow to the hope that this group can form the core of successful team. I know on the road McLellan doesn't get to choose the match-ups, and yet a good team needs to adapt to tough situations. The thing that perplexes me is that Pouliot-RNH-Eberle formed a strong line down the stretch of 2014-15 when they also faced a heavy Eastern Conference schedule. The mercurial nature of these Oilers players is frustrating to watch as a fan.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
All these are fair points regarding the mess in support players Chiarelli has to clean-up. Nonetheless, it remains disappointing to see our young "core" players like Yakupov (sans McDavdi), RNH, and Eberle flounder on the past road trip. I think it has been clear from watching them for years that hoping they could be the key components of a #1 line in the Western Conference was wishful thinking; however, to watch them struggle as a #2 line against Eastern Conference teams is a clear blow to the hope that this group can form the core of successful team. I know on the road McLellan doesn't get to choose the match-ups, and yet a good team needs to adapt to tough situations. The thing that perplexes me is that Pouliot-RNH-Eberle formed a strong line down the stretch of 2014-15 when they also faced a heavy Eastern Conference schedule. The mercurial nature of these Oilers players is frustrating to watch as a fan.

Sure Nuge and Eberle had a tough road trip. Nuge is up there in player points at his position despite this and doing literally ALL of the heavy lifting down the middle for this club the last couple of years. Eberle (as noted earlier in the thread) is one of the very few (2 to this point) proven scorers on this team. You do not move these guys for peanuts as in some of the laughable proposals around HF. I am not saying they are untouchable but some people need to get a grip. Yak tries hard but he is tough to watch; not a piece moving forward in my books. Anyways, appreciate your measured response.
Back on the thread topic, I am adamant that there was never going to be a quick fix this year and Chiarelli landed some coveted players (league-wide, not just by Oilers media) this offseason without handcuffing himself as his predecessors did. The idea that the answer now is to "blow it up" once again must be getting put forward by some real suckers for punishment. We are closer than most people think, there is tremendous flexibility in player personnel decisions beginning as soon as this summer, let's not be hasty :)

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

well, that is true. And you are correct in that the culture of no accountability may still permeate Oilers offices. We don't know, either way, but either way is possible.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013

Tough to reconcile this with an eye towards actual business operations. Like it or not, fans are not proxies for shareholders in professional sports teams when they act as Oilers fans do (firing money at the Oilers results or not). Katz is making money hand over fist; from a business viewpoint that does not equal poor productivity/return. Little nitpicky, just not a fan of the relationship you drew up there. :dunno:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Sure Nuge and Eberle had a tough road trip. Nuge is up there in player points at his position despite this and doing literally ALL of the heavy lifting down the middle for this club the last couple of years. Eberle (as noted earlier in the thread) is one of the very few (2 to this point) proven scorers on this team. You do not move these guys for peanuts as in some of the laughable proposals around HF. I am not saying they are untouchable but some people need to get a grip. Yak tries hard but he is tough to watch; not a piece moving forward in my books. Anyways, appreciate your measured response.
Back on the thread topic, I am adamant that there was never going to be a quick fix this year and Chiarelli landed some coveted players (league-wide, not just by Oilers media) this offseason without handcuffing himself as his predecessors did. The idea that the answer now is to "blow it up" once again must be getting put forward by some real suckers for punishment. We are closer than most people think, there is tremendous flexibility in player personnel decisions beginning as soon as this summer, let's not be hasty :)

I agree that a quick fix was never in the cards and Chiarelli will use the year as an evaluation period. As mentioned, this off-season flexibility will be useful in adding a hopefully improved group of support players. Nonetheless, I hope McLellan can find a way to get the like of RNH and Eberle playing consistent hockey because, as we all have witnessed, they are good players when playing to their potential. I guess I should phrase my point in a way that relates to the thread topic - if Pouliot is not the long-term option to support these two (based on his contract term), what type of player is? and do we have the financial flexibility to add this type of player on line 2 along with meeting the needs of the defensive group and bottom-6? Or will be moving one of RNH or Eberle be part of acquiring a different type of player that may be more of style that McLellan has been preaching (i.e., bigger, stronger, harder, and physically win more battles than we lose)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad