Back to the drawing board Chia.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
A lot is being made of the Oilers being last place league-wide. It seems silly because WHEN we win tonight, we will be in 5th last place, and from there just a short win streak away from playoff contention. Its early, our GD is improved and we look a lot better most nights.

Tonight is a big night IMO. I hope McLellan gets them pumped up for this.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Well, it took a bit of rabble rousing on my part. But I finally got a response that would typically be expected from you. Took you long enough. :naughty:

Now for a question. Would you not consider McLellan part of Chia's acquisitions so far? He seems to be a pretty solid addition here. Or was that a Nicholson deal?

Also, I consider the way Chia has handled the Reinhart, Nurse and Drai situations in the AHL to the NHL, along with Davidson, very solid GM moves. Not to mention the Scrivs and Niki stuff. The typical argument is over player acquisition, one in which I disagree with you as far as Korpikovski(sp?) is concerned. He's another player that was injured at the beginning of the year, so we haven't had a good read on his merits yet. He seems to be getting better every game he plays though. Other arguments about some of his additions I have no choice but to agree with. There were definitely a couple of boners thrown in there......no pun intended.

I was in dire need of a snickers bar last night. For some reason the Grey Cup gave me a blasting cap sized headache. Love that we won, but felt like I was on edge of my seat for hours getting dental surgery. hard game to watch. Probably for fans of either club.:amazed:

I don't think I'll be too wrong on Korpi. Like a far less talented version of Pouliot. Looks like the board is buying into my take of that off and on player as well. But hey, at least guys like Pouliot, and Purcell are reasonably talented and don't kill offense. Letestu, Korpi, Lander on the other hand...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A lot is being made of the Oilers being last place league-wide. It seems silly because WHEN we win tonight, we will be in 5th last place, and from there just a short win streak away from playoff contention. Its early, our GD is improved and we look a lot better most nights.

Oh I agree. In general terms I'm much more optimistic about the teams fortunes than would appear from this thread. But due to the 5 or so key players I listed. In fairness maybe Eberle gets there as well. maybe he's a more complete player when something is on the line. We've never really seen any of these guys in many meaningful games.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
heh, heh. Its hard, real hard, after all these years not to be impatient. ;)

I wish I could train myself not to care how this team does. That would be easier. :laugh:

I agree; however, the "all that matters is we are currently in last" crowd, context be damned, wears thin after awhile (not grouping you in that lot). Regardless of the current state of the team, I will always care about the Oilers and hockey. The life of a die-hard sports fan means taking the bad (and we've had our fair share) with the good.

Last time I felt there existed an opportunity to be seized they laid an egg against a very beatable Carolina team. Hopefully they can win tonight and get some momentum from back-to-back wins.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Should be obvious. if you read my posts at all you know that at this point if I was running things Krueger would've been promoted to General Manager here by now and would be a fine manager. A very intelligent guy that has since gone on to manage Premiership clubs with 10 times the payroll involved in the most lucrative league in the world. yeah that guy, that this ****tard org gave the bums rush to.

So at this point if I'm running things Krueger would've been coach here for 2- 3 years, would never have been fired. Nelson would be promoted to head coach last year, and Krueger would've been promoted to manager last season.

We'd be a lot better club on ice. The drawback is probably not getting McDavid.

This would be the definition of speculation. U have absolutely know idea how Kruger would have made out as a GM. That is a 100%, out of left field, guess.

Nelson? Whats so good about his record? Was he even .500, in garbage time. Whoop dee la dee da. He'd be no better this year.
To suggest this team would be better if they had Roy and Gordon is a huge reach. There is just as much chance that Roy would have disappeared like 30 GMs think he would. And as for Gordon, a 4th line C that scores 5 goals a year is not the difference.

Here's some speculation: If they had done what you said we should have done, we be just as bad. And I have just as chance of being right. Probably more.
We have the record we have because of below average goaltending and a 2nd line that can't score to save their life. The Goaltending might be coming around, I'm not so confident in the 2nd line, tho.

As for Chia, it's more than a little early to be playing the 'I told ya so' card. 20 flippin games. Really?

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think he has to get back to the drawing board.

I believe PC had a plan and hasn't come close to executed it yet.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't think he has to get back to the drawing board.

I believe PC had a plan and hasn't come close to executed it yet.

I agree.

This thread (like a few other threads on the boards these days) is way premature.
I get that people are impatient but I am honestly surprised that they really expected this turnaround was going to happen this quickly.

This is going to take time and if Chiarelli decides that there isnt a good enough deal out there involving a core piece then this turnaround is going to be delayed even more.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This would be the definition of speculation. U have absolutely know idea how Kruger would have made out as a GM. That is a 100%, out of left field, guess.

Nelson? Whats so good about his record? Was he even .500, in garbage time. Whoop dee la dee da. He'd be no better this year.
To suggest this team would be better if they had Roy and Gordon is a huge reach. There is just as much chance that Roy would have disappeared like 30 GMs think he would. And as for Gordon, a 4th line C that scores 5 goals a year is not the difference.

Here's some speculation: If they had done what you said we should have done, we be just as bad. And I have just as chance of being right. Probably more.
We have the record we have because of below average goaltending and a 2nd line that can't score to save their life. The Goaltending might be coming around, I'm not so confident in the 2nd line, tho.

As for Chia, it's more than a little early to be playing the 'I told ya so' card. 20 flippin games. Really?

In what way am I playing the "I told you so" card. The OP is clearly looking at results to this point because that's all we got to look at. This is intended to be an ongoing assessment of how players signed by Chia specifically perform on this club. This is the closest way in which we can look at how those additions have performed to this point.

That said I'm lacking in patience. I'm just about all done with patience. :laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree.

This thread (like a few other threads on the boards these days) is way premature.
I get that people are impatient but I am honestly surprised that they really expected this turnaround was going to happen this quickly.

This is going to take time and if Chiarelli decides that there isnt a good enough deal out there involving a core piece then this turnaround is going to be delayed even more.

I still think McDavid going down makes everything happen more quickly. It's not just PC, but TM is seeing who he really has as leaders and who should stick around. McDavid being here, just masks everything. I keep hearing the team has improved, which it probably has but in the end it really hasn't improved enough. McDavid is here and we are winning a few more games then the desire to make a big trade might not be there.

Plus it is showing fans that something still needs to be done.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
In what way am I playing the "I told you so" card. The OP is clearly looking at results to this point because that's all we got to look at. This is intended to be an ongoing assessment of how players signed by Chia specifically perform on this club. This is the closest way in which we can look at how those additions have performed to this point.

That said I'm lacking in patience. I'm just about all done with patience. :laugh:

Well, fair enough on that one. I'm out of patience, too. But, because of the house cleaning in management, because of the complete waste of the last 3 years ( you might say 5), and because of McD, I'm looking at this as year 1. The past rebuild was a complete failure. This isn't a continuation. Mcdavid isn't an addition to the core. He is the core.

Just my own way of coping. Cheers.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I agree.

That's true. I suspect this is the biggest reason a deal hasn't been, or won't be, made. I've called for moving RNH; its possible Chia has inquired about a deal involving a core player (unlike past GMs), but he just can't get a top pairing, game changing Dman, even for RNH.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

Playoff contention is a mirage, even this early in the season.

Remember last year when the Senators record breaking last year 22-3-3. That was to barely squeak into the 8th spot. They only had to make up 10 points.

The Sens had 54 points in 55 games at the start of their run. The Oilers right now are at 18 points in 24 games and are arguably worse off. They have more time, but are playing worse, and arguably have more roster holes.

90-98 points is the typical cutoff for the playoffs. To make it to the average, 94, the Oilers would have to get 76 points in the last 58 games.

For perspective, that is a 107-108 point pace over a whole season. That is the pace of a top-5 team in the NHL. They have to play that well to have a CHANCE at a playoff spot .If 98 points in the cutoff, they would probably have to be the best team in the NHL starting tonight.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
He's not even being that. Certainly not an anchor in the solidifying sense. In the sinking sense, then, yes...;)

He is improving, I'm noting that, but still turned the puck over at least half a dozen times last night. 3of them really bad picks.

I disagree he is number 3 guy. He did not do well with Fayne who is at best number 6 guy.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
For sure it is good be for playoffs. I want to see the Oilers to get 82 pts otherwise they do not make playoffs in the next year too.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Should be obvious. if you read my posts at all you know that at this point if I was running things Krueger would've been promoted to General Manager here by now and would be a fine manager. A very intelligent guy that has since gone on to manage Premiership clubs with 10 times the payroll involved in the most lucrative league in the world. yeah that guy, that this ****tard org gave the bums rush to.

So at this point if I'm running things Krueger would've been coach here for 2- 3 years, would never have been fired. Nelson would be promoted to head coach last year, and Krueger would've been promoted to manager last season.

We'd be a lot better club on ice. The drawback is probably not getting McDavid.
This has been bugging me since you posted this. Krueger is not the GM of the Southhampton Football C?lub. He's the chairman. Last I checked, a chairman of team doesn't do trades.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
On April 24, 2015, Bob was appointed as Chief Executive Officer of OEG overseeing all aspects of the company’s operation including expansion of the group’s sports and entertainment offerings, delivering outstanding fan experiences, securing major new sponsorships and events, and operating Rogers Place. Currently under construction, Rogers Place will be North America’s leading sports and entertainment venue when it opens its doors in September 2016.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=100848

I don't remember the exact date but Nicholson took over the hockey ops and neutered Mactavish approximately a year ago. It happened right after the game that Perron ripped management and criticized some "core" players in a radio interview on Ched following a tough loss. That weekend there were all kinds of rumors that Mactavish was ready to start dealing players and nobody was safe. That following Monday, Nicholson appeared on Primetime Sports with Bob McCowan and announced he was now working in hockey ops for the team and no trades involving "core" players were coming soon. That was when he announced he was conducting an audit of everything involving the team. It wasn't long after that when Eakins was fired. Mactavish had been saying that he was safe up to that point.

Going off this, it's clear Nicholson was in charge of hockey ops long before April 24, 2015. Unfortunately, he isn't a hockey guy. Replacement brings up a good question as to why Mactavish was allowed to deal Petry. I'd also ask why he was allowed to deal Perron. My guess is that the organization didn't care about the fate of or couldn't comprehend any value of players that weren't named Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz or Yakupov. It shows how little hockey IQ was residing in that bloated management structure and how there really never has been any plan to build a team outside of acquiring high draft picks.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Going off this, it's clear Nicholson was in charge of hockey ops long before April 24, 2015. Unfortunately, he isn't a hockey guy. Replacement brings up a good question as to why Mactavish was allowed to deal Petry. I'd also ask why he was allowed to deal Perron. My guess is that the organization didn't care about the fate of or couldn't comprehend any value of players that weren't named Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz or Yakupov. It shows how little hockey IQ was residing in that bloated management structure and how there really never has been any plan to build a team outside of acquiring high draft picks.

Because he'd already poisoned the well at that point. Petry was a goner the minute MacT refused to offer him a long term deal in the summer.

As for Perron, I suspect he asked to be dealt.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Because he'd already poisoned the well at that point. Petry was a goner the minute MacT refused to offer him a long term deal in the summer.

Agreed with your assessment of what went down with Petry. I've got no idea what happened with Perron.

The point in all this is why do you let the guy you've stripped most of his power from make deals regarding the future of the team? I get there was some urgency to trade Petry at that time because he was a UFA. The team didn't want to lose him for nothing. There was no such urgency for Perron as he was signed for this year. His future could have been decided by Mac T's replacement. It looks like the decision to replace Mactavish was made last December. it's odd that he was allowed to decide the future of any assets after that point unless the others higher up in the organization only considered a select few players to be assets. That in itself is a sobering thought.

Most organizations fire guys when they make the decision to strip them from power. They name an interim GM if they do it in the middle of the year if moves still need to be made. Allowing the guy you have no confidence in to continue making moves for the future doesn't make any sense. Of course, keeping them around to work with their replacements makes even less sense. This team is still exactly where it should be considering the amateur way they run their front office.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Even with a chance to cool down, last night was an embarrassing performance. I think the needle moved as much as it can over a single game towards Chiarelli trading one or more of the core players.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
It appears the plan is to do nothing and hope the team magically starts winning. Maybe rotate another handful of #2 goalies into the #1 position next season and discover that they are in fact #2 goalies. Continue to sit on a relative wealth of offense and stunt their development while defensive depth glaringly lacks, and fail to attract UFAs to the Edmonton region.

Are Chia's hands tied by ownership? Why are Lowe & MacT still on the staff? Or does Chia honestly believe icing this roster has the potential to suddenly be successful? Puzzling is an understatement.

McDeathbyCheerios*

For Perron I think it was he was calling out the team for garbage play, then would go out on the ice and personally **** the bed.

McDeathbyCheerios*

It appears the plan is to do nothing and hope the team magically starts winning. Maybe rotate another handful of #2 goalies into the #1 position next season and discover that they are in fact #2 goalies. Continue to sit on a relative wealth of offense and stunt their development while defensive depth glaringly lacks, and fail to attract UFAs to the Edmonton region.

Are Chia's hands tied by ownership? Why are Lowe & MacT still on the staff? Or does Chia honestly believe icing this roster has the potential to suddenly be successful? Puzzling is an understatement.
Chia said before that playoffs wasn't the goal this year. It was going to be a year for him to personally assess what we have and not hastily break things apart. You can tell he is trying to make moves but also not wanting to get fleeced either.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Chia said before that playoffs wasn't the goal this year. It was going to be a year for him to personally assess what we have and not hastily break things apart. You can tell he is trying to make moves but also not wanting to get fleeced either.

How can you tell he is trying to make moves?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

The way some of the players are playing, they sure as hell aren't helping Chia in the "getting fleeced" department....are they.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad