Back to the drawing board Chia.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
BoychukTrade.jpg

Just wanted to take a quick look at the players Chia acquired this off season. Simple analysis, just looking at Goal events for each on ice.

I'm particularly concerned with how much GA the Chia additions allow. Because this has been most striking. Production of these players has been minimal, so not even considered, people can think of it as just another fail.

Anyway, Gryba. Oddly enough the only player Chia has acquired that is actually treading water. Been on for 14GF 13GA +.18differential/60mins. Not bad on pk either with only 3 goals allowed and -6.20GA/60mins.

Sekera. Alleged to be the best D coming here and paid very well to be here. Has been pretty much a dud o this point. At one point in the season Sekera had been on for 11 of the clubs 14 GA on pk. Virtually any time the club was getting scored against on pk Sekera was on ice flaling around. Sekera been n for 13GF 17GA Differ -.65/60mins. pk, absolute disaster. -17.75/60mins 11goals allowed.

Rienhart. -.33EV diff. on ice for 6GF 7GA has not been used on pk. Not bad for a kid.

Korpikoski I don't like the player, people here know that. But even I was surprised at how absolutely abysmal his numbers are. He's not even getting hard minutes on a club that doesn't use checking line assignments much. Still, he's on ice for 2GF and a shocking 9GA EV. Tell me how somebody gives up 9goals while being injured most of the season and playing against mostly scrubs. His dfferential/60mins is -2.42 (fail) meaning each 60 minutes even strength he is on the ice the club is losing almost two and a half more goals than its getting.. this is like a special kind of suck. 3 stars suck. pk he is at -9.50GA/60mins. 4goals allowed in limited play.

Letestu. We all heard it. Supposedly better than Gordon, faster, quicker, has hands, will produce. Has done none of the above. Almost as bad as Korpi. -1.88 differential/60mins. On ice for 3GF EV 10GA. Somewhat reasonable on pk with only 6goals allowed and -6.24GA/60 mins.

Nillson 2.85GAA .906 save %

Talbot 3.17GAA .889 save %

Neither sporting great numbers and neither on the whole looking like starting goalies.

Returns are early, and this is limited analysis, but in a sink or float sense, and that's what I wanted to look at, none of Chia's additions, with the possible exception of Gryba (who has a lot of observed deficits) has made this team better, or more competitive on the ice. The additions, with possible exception of Gryba, have helped this team to sink.

The Chia additions have actually had among the worst GA numbers on the club. With Letestu and Korpikoski to this point just being horrible EV players, shockingly bad, and Sekera being a very high event player that gives up way too many GA considering what this club required to improve.

I think its interesting to continue to look at what Chias additions have done specifically and how they have contributed to this team. To this point they have done nothing other than make this club considerably worse than if they had just gone with the prior incumbents.

DepressLine.jpeg

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think people were always expecting too much of Sekera. He's being asked to be a #1 defenceman when Chia said right from the get-go that he saw him as a 2nd pairing anchor.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think people were always expecting too much of Sekera. He's being asked to be a #1 defenceman when Chia said right from the get-go that he saw him as a 2nd pairing anchor.

He's not even being that. Certainly not an anchor in the solidifying sense. In the sinking sense, then, yes...;)

He is improving, I'm noting that, but still turned the puck over at least half a dozen times last night. 3of them really bad picks.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
All more positives than Mact's yearly additions. :) just saying ;)

Listen to Chia interview today ;) Doesnt say to much, but does say he came here to do some heavy lifting and his in the middle of that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The only one that I've been disappointed in is Letestu. The others are too early to call or have done pretty well all things considered.

Sekera has been much better of late and looks to be worth what he's getting paid IMO.

Gryba started better and has stumbled a bit since.

Talbot has been up and down but I still believe in him, if he doesn't turn it around then it will be a clear loss for Chia.

Reinhart has battled injuries but looked really good to start the season.

Nilsson has been at worst a solid back-up.

Korpi has been hard to play against and has been riddled with duds to play with in the bottom 6.

Letestu hasn't been physical enough or brought enough offense to the bottom 6, as a center he hasn't been creating anything.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's not even being that. Certainly not an anchor in the solidifying sense. In the sinking sense, then, yes...;)

He is improving, I'm noting that, but still turned the puck over at least half a dozen times last night. 3of them really bad picks.

I really think that this is a case of you setting your mind on a player and sticking to it. Sekera was garbage to start the season. Since then he has been very good IMO. He hasn't been putting Nurse in tough spots and has been a very steady vet presence for our young stud defenseman.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I really think that this is a case of you setting your mind on a player and sticking to it. Sekera was garbage to start the season. Since then he has been very good IMO. He hasn't been putting Nurse in tough spots and has been a very steady vet presence for our young stud defenseman.

I agree, but he did play with the puck like a gernade last night ;) Hes been skating hard, playing hard, hes actually pretty darn quick out there now. Its nice to see.

This team has actually missed Schultz.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

He's offensively gifted, I can see he's good with the puck when he's not losing it. But he's not been very steadyin on the back end.

tbh my take on that pairing is that I trust Nurse more.

I'll give it time. As stated this is just a look to this point.

As per your other post I like the idea or Reinhart. Hopefully he gains a step and can cover better. I like whne he has shown some aggression as well. I have hopes.

Korpi has been awful. I gave him credit in the 1 or 2 games h was good but overall the numbers don't lie.
Letestu EV has just been worse than Belanger bad. Gordon looked skiled compared to this guy.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I pretty much agree.

I don't blame Chiareli so much.

It's Oileritis. Nobody comes here and excels.
I don't recall a pickup in the last 10 years that has come in and I've thought. Wow what a find.

This team.. city... drinking water. Just has that magic ability to turn players into dog crap.

The main reason I don't want to see Hall, RNH, Eberle and the likes traded is the heartbreak of watching them flourish on another team.

Pretty selfish I guess.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I agree, but he did play with the puck like a gernade last night ;) Hes been skating hard, playing hard, hes actually pretty darn quick out there now. Its nice to see.

This team has actually missed Schultz.

I hope so. Strangely though the defence has improved since he left the lineup.
It wasn't disgustingly bad the last 10 games like the first 10 games when he was in.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oilers website does have a 10 min interview with Chia this morning.

lol timing. The Oilers presscorps were basically calling out Chia for days to bloody well say something. :laugh:

Was it better than a MacLowe era presser?

" I Have 1 rings, I think I knows some things abouts hockey":D

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
If all GMs should have learned anything its that there is no logic in paying a #4 dman the salary of a #2 dman.

That has never ever worked ever. Sekera Ference Nikitin on this team alone paid way way too much.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Our lack of depth has never been more apparent than on this version of the Oilers 3rd and 4th lines. Yet to acquire those players, we gave up an inordinate number of high picks in a deep draft. Picks that should have been used to fill the future holes.

Either Chia is as bad as the other 3 GM's before him, or he is still taking advice from the same scouts that helped to destroy this team. Personally, I think there was good reason Chia was fired from Boston.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I pretty much agree.

I don't blame Chiareli so much.

It's Oileritis. Nobody comes here and excels.
I don't recall a pickup in the last 10 years that has come in and I've thought. Wow what a find.

This team.. city... drinking water. Just has that magic ability to turn players into dog crap.

The main reason I don't want to see Hall, RNH, Eberle and the likes traded is the heartbreak of watching them flourish on another team.

Pretty selfish I guess.

The following players at least did what they were supposed to do here and played somewhat well.

Gordon, Pouliot, Roy, Hendricks, even Perron played well here.

One of the things I'm noting with Chia is we're getting worse instead of better at bottomsix.

Just think we've gone from wagon line to this kind of junk.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
We all know the Eberle we are seeing right now, isnt the Eberle that he can be. Hes been hot garbage and maybe he gets moved out, but hes still a proven top RW point producer in the NHL.

No arguments from me, I agree with your assessment. However, the pitchforks will be out the first time Schultz misses an assignment or does a lazy stick check.

The natives are very restless right now...haha.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
lol timing. The Oilers presscorps were basically calling out Chia for days to bloody well say something. :laugh:

Was it better than a MacLowe era presser?

" I Have 1 rings, I think I knows some things abouts hockey":D

To paraphrase

Wont make a change just to rush a change

Wants a top 2 or 3 dman

Disappointed in goaltending, and a few other players play.

Sees progress in structure.

Came here to do a lot of heavy lifting and is in the middle of that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Our lack of depth has never been more apparent than on this version of the Oilers 3rd and 4th lines. Yet to acquire those players, we gave up an inordinate number of high picks in a deep draft. Picks that should have been used to fill the future holes.

Either Chia is as bad as the other 3 GM's before him, or he is still taking advice from the same scouts that helped to destroy this team. Personally, I think there was good reason Chia was fired from Boston.

There was but the board wanted to attribute it to Chia being told what to do there.

Its kind of an unfair analysis. Chia wins a cup in Boston =Great GM

Chia makes Seguin trade, Wheeler trade, lets Boychuk walk. =Not his fault, he has no autonomy.

I do worry when Chia does pull the trigger here, and it will happen before trade deadline, what that deal(s) ends up looking like. At best his current acquired players don't speak highly on his ability to recruit players to help this club. His additions have clearly made the Oilers even worse. Even though coaching is better this year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We all know the Eberle we are seeing right now, isnt the Eberle that he can be. Hes been hot garbage and maybe he gets moved out, but hes still a proven top RW point producer in the NHL.

Agreed. But as Chia said this isn't the right time to deal some players because they are playing poorly and their value isn't that high.

He's offensively gifted, I can see he's good with the puck when he's not losing it. But he's not been very steadyin on the back end.

tbh my take on that pairing is that I trust Nurse more.

I'll give it time. As stated this is just a look to this point.

As per your other post I like the idea or Reinhart. Hopefully he gains a step and can cover better. I like whne he has shown some aggression as well. I have hopes.

Korpi has been awful. I gave him credit in the 1 or 2 games h was good but overall the numbers don't lie.
Letestu EV has just been worse than Belanger bad. Gordon looked skiled compared to this guy.

Nurse is better defensively, he is faster, bigger, stronger, covers more ice, etc. That said once MacT screwed the pooch with Petry what was our options? Petry at $4.5 > Sekera at $5.5 but had we not gotten Sekera we'd be in even more of a world of hurt.

If all GMs should have learned anything its that there is no logic in paying a #4 dman the salary of a #2 dman.

That has never ever worked ever. Sekera Ference Nikitin on this team alone paid way way too much.

We needed a vet presence that can play 20 minutes, we got that. I'd also say that Sekera much like Petry is more of a #3 than a #4. MacT's mistake cost us another $1 million towards the cap, we're damn lucky to have landed Sekera because without him we'd have the likes of Reinhart, Davidson or Gryba playing 20 minutes a night while Schultz was out.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Your right. But Eberle generally seems to start slow and finally get it into gear once we are out of the playoffs around Christmas time. Hopefully this year we take advantage of his late December to February hot streak and sell when his value is the greatest.

Don't get me wrong, he has his good points, but we don't need small - soft - offensive only wingers; we need to either replace him with a solid, mature, D-man acquisition, or a physical winger.

Mark my words, if he brings his value up through points prior to the trade deadline, he is the first big name gone from the Oilers.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
To paraphrase

Wont make a change just to rush a change

Wants a top 2 or 3 dman

Disappointed in goaltending, and a few other players play.

Sees progress in structure.

Came here to do a lot of heavy lifting and is in the middle of that.

Somebody should have coughed "Um Sekera" and a hairball at that statement. He paid this guy 5.5M longterm to be what exactly? a 3-4D?

What on Earth would he pay for a "2" which will probably turn out to be another 3-4 D when all is said and done.

"See's progress in structure" This is the new wording of "visually improved". I challenge anybody to watch the last 2 games and conclude the structure is improved.

heavy lifting?. Not to this point. hasn't lifted a finger since July an the club has sunk to the bottom of the sea again. With morale noticeably bad on this roadtrip and the one before it.

FRankly I'm disappointed in the GM's play to this point. Did he take voice any accountability for that? Easy to point fingers. But half the players playing like **** on this team are HIS GUYS.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers are career killers.

There's such an immense amount of suck following this team that Chris Pronger and Lidstrom in their primes couldn't fix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad