GDT: Back to Criticality | Jackets vs Bruins | 7 PM | 3/12/19

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Really good game sans the last 10 minutes of the 2nd period.

I thought we were okay last Thursday in Pittsburgh but I think Torts/the team were overrating the performance there, maybe to try to keep confidence up after the disaster in New Jersey. But of the last 180 minutes of hockey (starting at home against Pittsburgh) I’d say we’ve played strong hockey for 160 of them (the first 10 minutes against NYI and last 10 of the second period against BOS as the outliers). Hopefully we can keep it going; Friday’s game could be the most important of the year.

Anderson was a beast, the best player on the ice. Great for Boone, but a bit of a shame Josh couldn’t have been first star. One of Z’s best games of the year. Hopefully Bob got his ‘meh’ game out of the way tonight, with no harm, no foul. Panarin still seems a little off but loved to see him drop the gloves (and not get hurt...).

Pittsburgh won, but the odds are very slim we’re gonna catch them anyway, and we obviously gained on Carolina and Philly (still not extremely concerned about the Flyers but doesn’t hurt). And even though Montreal also won, we played Boston and they played Detroit. Earning the same amount of points as they did on the evening is a “win” for us.

Reactions: majormajor

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
That was weird.

I keep going back to when it was 2-1. Boston was on the 5-on-3 and hit the post, about :02 before the first penalty would have expired. If that’s an inch the other way, it’s a tie game, the Bruins are still on the powerplay, and who the hell knows where that game goes. Instead, it becomes the Boone Jenner shorty.

Then, when it was 5-4, Bobrovsky made a save on the 4-on-4 about two seconds before Panarin’s penalty expired. Instead of a tie game, a Werenski PPG.

Those are things that were going against us in the last couple weeks.

Jody Shelley said what I was thinking: Last night, Jenner was ill. Tonight, he was SICK.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just watched the postgame interviews, and man were those guys tired. Normally you see more smiles after a hard fought win. Two long hard games.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
What's crazy about the Nash TOI is that it was almost all 5v5 ice time. Did he fool Torts into thinking he was actually a younger Rick Nash?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
We were protecting a lead, Riley Nash can do that. Set up a goal too. What are we complaining about again?
Also when you have a bigger lead you play lower lines more to try and protect your stars. Nothing worse then having an important player lost in a 5-1/2/3 game. Then at the end of the game the bottom line of nash dubi Wennberg all are great defenders so it makes sense to play them. Just like how Murray used to always finish out the game with Jones when people said he was a bottom pair guy.

People are really focusing hard on TOI in a game we scored 7 in its nuts.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I just watched the postgame interviews, and man were those guys tired. Normally you see more smiles after a hard fought win. Two long hard games.
Better rest up... have a feeling this Friday/Saturday B2B is going to be just as tough.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
So has Torts finally found line combinations that work well together?

Bread - Dubois - Cam
Dzingel - Duchene - Andy
Fligs - Boone - Ollie

plus a fourth line of Wennberg - Nash - Dubi / Beerman that can play competently enough to burn some minutes and take some of the load off of the other three lines?

Or at least these lines seem to be gelling?

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So has Torts finally found line combinations that work well together?

Bread - Dubois - Cam
Dzingel - Duchene - Andy
Fligs - Boone - Ollie

plus a fourth line of Wennberg - Nash - Dubi / Beerman that can play competently enough to burn some minutes and take some of the load off of the other three lines?

Except Nash in place of Bjork in your lineup. Wanting something, even it's nearly unanimous around here, can't make coach do it. (Bjork is getting some PP time.)

Bjork with Wennberg and Dubi as the fourth line feels like a collection of "guys I don't have a spot for anywhere else" sort of combination, and I don't like it. But what are you going to do? Sedlak, Robinson and Hanni don't make me feel any better. All those guys offer something but I don't know what's a good set of three.

Andy with the D's has been really good.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Except Nash in place of Bjork in your lineup. Wanting something, even it's nearly unanimous around here, can't make coach do it. (Bjork is getting some PP time.)

Bjork with Wennberg and Dubi as the fourth line feels like a collection of "guys I don't have a spot for anywhere else" sort of combination, and I don't like it. But what are you going to do? Sedlak, Robinson and Hanni don't make me feel any better. All those guys offer something but I don't know what's a good set of three.

Andy with the D's has been really good.

Wenny - Dubi - Ollie = The Land Of Misfit Toys Line? lol

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Why would you put Nash over Bjorkstrand on the Jenner line? Was that the way the lines were last night?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Yep, I win simply by saying 'no.'

Really just disagreeing Nick has been the worst but not really feeling it's worth it, as he seems to be your current whipping boy, to discuss.
Ok he was the worst player last game. You can't argue with that, dumb penalty, missing his shift to allow Bruins 5on4, turnovers, brutal on PP as usual.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Didn't we win this game? Perhaps it is now a matter of tradition on this board, but there seems to be a lot of complaining about a game we won.

Reactions: Monk

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Well maybe this was a sign we're coming out of our funk. Didn't like giving up those goals in the second though.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Why would you put Nash over Bjorkstrand on the Jenner line? Was that the way the lines were last night?
Foligno, Nash and Jenner had the three highest ice times last night. Torts wants a banging, physical line and feels Nash is needed there with Andy's move. He actually started with his old tried and true (emphasis on old, not so much true) Dubi there until he realized what a fiasco that was going to be.

Oh yeah, everyone - no reminder needed. I hear you. "Dubi can take faceoffs".

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Foligno, Nash and Jenner had the three highest ice times last night. Torts wants a banging, physical line and feels Nash is needed there with Andy's move.

I don't mind that line in a vacuum, but I don't like Bjork being on a 4th line that doesn't appear to have much to offer collectively. I know we're supposed to hate Riley Nash, but that could be a slot where he's effective. He looked good last night.

Also, ostensibly Wenny and Bjork could/should be good together, a pinpoint passer and sharp shooter, but I've never seen it in real life. A fourth line of "what Wennberg should be," "what Bjorkstrand should be and was starting to look like he was going to be until the recent lineup shuffling" and Robinson/Hannikainen/Sedlak should be good as a non-trad bottom grouping but...

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
yeah +3 In 23min 2a1g god awful. He played one of his best games of the year tonight. Broke up some plays with his stick as well.

YES.

One game forgives all.

Let's ignore the 20 game stretch of poor play.

Hey he had a great game tonight, all is forgiven.

Seriously? Did you watch the game? He was the direct reason why Marchand scored his 4th goal with half ass attempt to block the shot. Even his good games are not all sunshine and butterflies.

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
YES.

One game forgives all.

Let's ignore the 20 game stretch of poor play.

Hey he had a great game tonight, all is forgiven.

Seriously? Did you watch the game? He was the direct reason why Marchand scored his 4th goal with half ass attempt to block the shot. Even his good games are not all sunshine and butterflies.
I agree with your overall point, but I have a hard time blaming anyone for the 4th goal other than Foligno sitting on the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad