Babcock vs Blashill

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Babcock is a bad counterpuncher. Give him time to prepare for an opponent and he'll probably come up with a way of winning. Unless that opponent shifts gears at some point in the series and adapts. Instead of turning around and adapting to new circumstances, I think Babcock doubles down and says, "stay this course, work harder, and make it happen." And then it's just up to the players to overcome whatever is being thrown at that.

The example that sticks out for me was the last real run the Wings tried to go on when they had Chicago on their heels. Then Quenville worked to get Toews away from Zetterberg, and suddenly the Hawks' center had new life. And Babcock did nothing to work to get that matchup back. It was bizarre and the entire series seemed to turn when Chicago began getting the matchup they wanted with Toews going against anybody but Z.

The Tampa series that proved to be his last one turned on Cooper adjusting to a deeper drop in the zone during breakouts, it seemed to completely rattle our gameplan. Along with Glendening going down it seemed Babcock couldn't see it and it was very frustrating.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
What year am I thinking of than? A roster in the mid to late 2000's? They had Oates though so that's 2. Maybe Kariya but I have no idea.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What year am I thinking of than? A roster in the mid to late 2000's? They had Oates though so that's 2. Maybe Kariya but I have no idea.
Beats me, I just posted the roster to end the argument. (No offense intended, BTW.)

Oates, Niedermayer, and Kariya are all HHOF, but they were all on the tail end of their career as well as Ozolinsh who is borderline (not in HOF yet). I just remember that was the year Giggy carried that team, the way he played he could have taken just about any team into the finals.

I'm getting too old to remember all the details as well...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Also the year where Giggy wore a three or six inch rod in his back if I remember right. He was really the guy that finally forced the leagues hand on goalie equipment after that run.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Also the year where Giggy wore a three or six inch rod in his back if I remember right. He was really the guy that finally forced the leagues hand on goalie equipment after that run.

It was his chest protector that was particularly ridiculous. The picture of him and Brodeur at the end of the Finals is instructive.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
NUL1c6j.jpg

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Beats me, I just posted the roster to end the argument. (No offense intended, BTW.)

Oates, Niedermayer, and Kariya are all HHOF, but they were all on the tail end of their career as well as Ozolinsh who is borderline (not in HOF yet). I just remember that was the year Giggy carried that team, the way he played he could have taken just about any team into the finals.

I'm getting too old to remember all the details as well...

I think I'm confusing that cup with the Carlyle cup or blending the players together lol.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
yeah that doesn't sound bitter at all. :laugh:

As I was typing that, I thought to myself, "this sounds pretty bitter."

So I should specify, most of us aren't bitter because he left, which I believe was the original statement was arguing. Most of us wanted to move on from him around 2014.

But yes, we are bitter that he underachieved and is an arrogant dick of a coach and is praised as the best coach in the NHL when it is undeserved.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
As I was typing that, I thought to myself, "this sounds pretty bitter."

So I should specify, most of us aren't bitter because he left, which I believe was the original statement was arguing. Most of us wanted to move on from him around 2014.

But yes, we are bitter that he underachieved and is an arrogant dick of a coach and is praised as the best coach in the NHL when it is undeserved.

Babcock is a very good coach, sure he was some flaws , but who doesn't? Babs ran his course in Detroit by the time he left. The writing was also on the wall that Wings were heading into the dumps. Can't really blame him for cashing out and going to a team on the up and up.

Plus, Toronto giving the Wings that 3rd round pick was a bonus, they could have just waited until his contract officially expired.

For coaches, the Babcock contract moved the bar up in terms of salaries.

He's also done a great job with his subordinate coaches.

Am I missing any of his assistant coaches that ended up being heads in the NHL?

Bill Peters - Calgary (formerly Carolina)
Todd Mcllelan - LA (formerly San Jose and Edmonton)
Paul MacLean - formerly Ottawa
DJ Smith - Ottawa
Jeff Blashill - Detroit

Reactions: FMichael

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Babcock is a very good coach, sure he was some flaws , but who doesn't? Babs ran his course in Detroit by the time he left. The writing was also on the wall that Wings were heading into the dumps. Can't really blame him for cashing out and going to a team on the up and up.

Plus, Toronto giving the Wings that 3rd round pick was a bonus, they could have just waited until his contract officially expired.

DJ Smith - Ottawa
Jeff Blashill - Detroit

Brad McCrimmon - Head Coach, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (RIP)
Tom Renney - President and CEO, Hockey Canada
Tony Granato - Head Coach, University of Wisconsin–Madison

Having Babcock has a reference probably goes a long way lol

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The '02-03 Ducks went to the Finals and lost to New Jersey. Kariya was really their only star player. They also had Adam Oates, Petr Sykora, Steve Rucchin, and Steve Thomas and lots of scrubs. That was the year Giguere had the insane run and they beat Detroit in the first round. Babcock was the coach.

The '06-07 Ducks beat the Wings in the Conference Finals. Carlyle was the coach. Selanne, Niedermayer, Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, Kunitz, Penner, and Andy McDonald were their stars. Giguere was still in goal. That team was stacked.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014

DJ Smith - Ottawa
Jeff Blashill - Detroit

Like I said, I don't blame him for leaving and am not bitter about that, we were eager to move on from him.

If I'm bitter about anything it's his underachieving when he was here, 2006, 2009, getting bested by his understudy consecutively in 2010 and 2011, and the series lead collapses of 2009, 2013 and 2015 all stand out. His stubborness with shoehorning guys like Abdelkader on a scoring line, etc etc. Things that could get him run out of Toronto if they bow out early in the post-season again.

Despite all his praise and accolades around the league, he hasn't sniffed a conference final in 10 years. He hasn't won a playoff series in 7. The game has changed and he hasn't adapted, just as he has failed to do so many times in-game, with opposing coaches.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Babcock won at every level he’s ever coached at. Babcock took an ice cold Kariya, red hot Giguire, and a 38 yr Adam Oates to game 7 of the Cup final. It’s Babcock until further notice. I’d say Babcock is slightly overrated and Blash is unproven but that’s it.

Reactions: Mlotek

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The '02-03 Ducks went to the Finals and lost to New Jersey. Kariya was really their only star player. They also had Adam Oates, Petr Sykora, Steve Rucchin, and Steve Thomas and lots of scrubs. That was the year Giguere had the insane run and they beat Detroit in the first round. Babcock was the coach.

The '06-07 Ducks beat the Wings in the Conference Finals. Carlyle was the coach. Selanne, Niedermayer, Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, Kunitz, Penner, and Andy McDonald were their stars. Giguere was still in goal. That team was stacked.

Okay I was confusing the Carlyle cup win than.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Brad McCrimmon - Head Coach, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (RIP)
Tom Renney - President and CEO, Hockey Canada
Tony Granato - Head Coach, University of Wisconsin–Madison

Having Babcock has a reference probably goes a long way lol

In all fairness, Renney had already been an NHL head coach before Babcock. Not knocking your post, just pointing that one out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad