Babcock vs Blashill

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
well weren't his first couple years there during a rebuild? Blashill started out with a playoff team here

still less of a difference than I expected regardless

Reactions: Oddbob

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
The fact that Mike Babcock’s winning percentage in Toronto isn’t even 10% higher than Jeff Blashill’s in the same timeframe is crazy..

Babcock: .563
Blashill: .486
It depends how you calculate the "win %"

The standings are grossly inflated as it is with the loser point. Those appear to be point percentages.

One of the main reasons why I advocate for the 3 point system the rest of the world is already on or moving to.

3 points for regulation win
2 points for overtime/shootout win
1 points for overtime/shootout loss

Or if you want a more fair comparison, use the old rules to calculate the points.

2 for win (regulation or OT)
1 for going to shootout
0 for losing period

Even then those win stats would be inflated cause the 3 on 3 OT rules. There is a reason Holland pushed the league to switch to 3 on 3 for OT. Cause his team was dogshit at shootouts and wanted to avoid it on all costs.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It depends how you calculate the "win %"

The standings are grossly inflated as it is with the loser point. Those appear to be point percentages.

One of the main reasons why I advocate for the 3 point system the rest of the world is already on or moving to.

3 points for regulation win
2 points for overtime/shootout win
1 points for overtime/shootout loss

Or if you want a more fair comparison, use the old rules to calculate the points.

2 for win (regulation or OT)
1 for going to shootout
0 for losing period

Even then those win stats would be inflated cause the 3 on 3 OT rules. There is a reason Holland pushed the league to switch to 3 on 3 for OT. Cause his team was dog**** at shootouts and wanted to avoid it on all costs.

I always agree with this point, I don't understand the logic of basically just being interested in preserving the history books. It is time for us to be in the three point system everyone else uses. I would probably still be cool with 3 points for winning in OT and just having the shootout win or loss in the 1 and 2 slots.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I always agree with this point, I don't understand the logic of basically just being interested in preserving the history books. It is time for us to be in the three point system everyone else uses. I would probably still be cool with 3 points for winning in OT and just having the shootout win or loss in the 1 and 2 slots.
There are a couple additional arguments for keep status quo.

1. Allows GMs to justify their case to ownership the team isn't really doing that bad. Look we are a '500' team. Conveniently with inflation 560 is the new 500.

Many casual fans still think being 500 ain't that bad.

2. 2 points system makes the standings look a lot closer, generates more excitement.

Solution: Use a "games behind stat" in standings to show how many wins team x is behind the standings leader.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
There are a couple additional arguments for keep status quo.

1. Allows GMs to justify their case to ownership the team isn't really doing that bad. Look we are a '500' team. Conveniently with inflation 560 is the new 500.

Many casual fans still think being 500 ain't that bad.

2. 2 points system makes the standings look a lot closer, generates more excitement.

Solution: Use a "games behind stat" in standings to show how many wins team x is behind the standings leader.

That's the main reason and it goes hand in hand with the parity the NHL has been trying to manufacture for years now. While I don't mind parity as a concept, this point system serves to undermine it rather than reinforce it in my eyes. It was their half-assed way of justifying getting rid of ties. The extra point doesn't make sense from a logical point of view. If their reasoning was for the sake of the record books, they've already screwed that up by awarding a point for losing in OT.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Blashill started out with a playoff team here
That's a hilarious way of putting it given Datsyuk retired after one year of Blashill and it was just Zetterberg + Kronwall on 1 leg.

That's a playoff team I guess, but it was a playoff team that even Babcock was barely taking into the playoffs and one that we knew was going to lose Datsyuk, a decision which had nothing to do with Blashill.

Reactions: TheOtherOne

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Babcock left 5 seasons ago. Are people still not over it?

Most people weren’t even mad about it. You see what happened last year against Boston in the playoffs, playing Hyman more than Matthews, he did the same thing here with his grinders. Everyone was over Babs and it was pretty clear his “message” had grown stale.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'll give Babcock the advantage of having his boys ready at the start of the season and will hit the ground running. But also with Babcock, I think he'll start losing his team mid to late season.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'll give Babcock the advantage of having his boys ready at the start of the season and will hit the ground running. But also with Babcock, I think he'll start losing his team mid to late season.

I heard the other night Babcock doesn't believe in icing an AHL team during pre-season, or at least the last week. He wants the real team going. That's pretty hardcore. It's a long season, I wonder how many agree with his strategy.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I heard the other night Babcock doesn't believe in icing an AHL team during pre-season, or at least the last week. He wants the real team going. That's pretty hardcore. It's a long season, I wonder how many agree with his strategy.

Especially with all the powder puff hockey players they have.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Love to give him back if you guys miss him that much :naughty:
It was always funny to read Leaf's posts about Babcock after their playoff exits. Lots of the same complaints we made about him when he was with the Wings. Loves his grinders. Limits minutes of the big guys even when it doesn't make much sense. *Insists* on not playing the hell out of his top guys on the PP. No Ovechkin out for 2 minutes for him.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That's a hilarious way of putting it given Datsyuk retired after one year of Blashill and it was just Zetterberg + Kronwall on 1 leg.

That's a playoff team I guess, but it was a playoff team that even Babcock was barely taking into the playoffs and one that we knew was going to lose Datsyuk, a decision which had nothing to do with Blashill.
The last 4 seasons we made the playoffs, '13-'16 we were a bubble team & 3 of those years were lucky to make it in for various reasons.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Over it? We were over him as a coach when he was still here. The consensus was we couldn't wait for a new coach.
I agree. I thought it was time for a new coach as well.

But at the same time people weirdly seem bitter that he chose somewhere other than Detroit. And Toronto of all places.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
well weren't his first couple years there during a rebuild? Blashill started out with a playoff team here

still less of a difference than I expected regardless

Agree, people seem to forget that Toronto sucked when Babcock went there, they then got extremely lucky in the draft with Marner and Matthews. Without those 2 guys, the Leafs rebuild would look a lot worse. I think Babcock is doing fine with what he has in Toronto as they are absolutely not as good as they are made out to be. Their defence has no depth to it. I am still glad he is gone though, as I had grown tired of some of the ways he uses players. Also one of the reasons I would like someone other than Blashill as our coach as he does some of the same things, like over-using Glendening type players. Glenny is fine, but he should be a 4th line center, who is the top PK guy from the forwards.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Don't need a 3 point system at all. It is very simple, you get 2 points for any win, and 0 pts for any loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->