News Article: Babcock to Toronto - for all the monies

SaturdayNightSlegr

Jan 2, 2009
Pittsburgh suburbs
People just like venting and complaining. I seriously cannot believe people expected the Pens to match Toronto's offer to Babcock while still paying Bylsma's and Johnston's salary.

Babcock is a better coach than Johnston but coaching is not enough of a problem with this team to justify paying 3 head coaches mad money.

Yes, there's no salary cap on coaching but there 's no cap on scouting either. The major issues right now are poor roster construction, lack of size and skill throughout the depth chart (mostly at Forward/Winger), and poor trades resulting in losing key draft picks.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Over-rated! *clap clap clap clap clap*

Gonna be hilarious when Toronto is still terrible even after signing "god's gift to hockey coaches" for a king's ransom

The Wings were always competitive and even that Ducks team could sqeak out wins. The Leafs are set to be the worst team in the league next season. He better start preparing his post-game speeches now.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
People just like venting and complaining. I seriously cannot believe people expected the Pens to match Toronto's offer to Babcock while still paying Bylsma's and Johnston's salary.

Babcock is a better coach than Johnston but coaching is not enough of a problem with this team to justify paying 3 head coaches mad money.

Yes, there's no salary cap on coaching but there 's no cap on scouting either. The major issues right now are poor roster construction, lack of size and skill throughout the depth chart (mostly at Forward/Winger), and poor trades resulting in losing key draft picks.

Morehouse, Rutherford and company quickly dismissed any interest, so its hard to tell if Babcock would have come wearing a mask and holding a gun like he did with Toronto, if he thought he had a real chance to coach Sid and the rest of this team. Not trying is deeply disturbing and when comes from the village idiots currently in control of this team, it doesn't exactly fill you with hope of getting better but of everything getting even worse.;)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Mario Lemieux is a close friend and Mario would never screw over a friend like Sid. If Crosby becomes unhappy with the situation here look for Mario to give him what he wants.

It seems like for the most part, the team just accepts the injuries piling up as their fate this post season and I agree with that to an extent, I think some trades SHOULD NOT have been made (Winnik, Lovejoy) even with the injuries, but I have zero issues with Mike Johnston until I get to see him next season and see if he's capable of making adjustments to his coaching. The team owes him that much.

I think at this point, I am really hoping Morehouse wants to move on and the team decides to push JR into that role and make Botterill the GM.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
It seems like for the most part, the team just accepts the injuries piling up as their fate this post season and I agree with that to an extent, I think some trades SHOULD NOT have been made (Winnik, Lovejoy) even with the injuries, but I have zero issues with Mike Johnston until I get to see him next season and see if he's capable of making adjustments to his coaching. The team owes him that much.

I think at this point, I am really hoping Morehouse wants to move on and the team decides to push JR into that role and make Botterill the GM.

Morehouse isn't going anywhere unless Ron Burkle decides to sell. More than likely Botterill is the future GM in the next season or two. Not sure how much he (Botterill) wanted Lovejoy (maybe not at all) but Guerin certainly did and that might have soured ownership on how good Bill Guerin would be as GM with all the end of season cap issues and using 5 defenseman.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Morehouse isn't going anywhere unless Ron Burkle decides to sell. More than likely Botterill is the future GM in the next season or two. Not sure how much he (Botterill) wanted Lovejoy (maybe not at all) but Guerin certainly did and that might have soured ownership on how good Bill Guerin would be as GM with all the end of season cap issues and using 5 defenseman.

If these guys are getting the chance to do stupid stuff like this without having Mario being told what is going on, I would be handing out pink slips right now.

I really hope Shero poaches Guerin. For his ties to NJD.

I just don't get how a team can be this blind to stuff. They make the Oilers look good.

Confounding Factor

It Was A Good Day
Oct 12, 2013
Jesus Christ I gotta let this 8 year $50million deal sink in. That is some lunacy.

Such an overrated coach its unbelievable. Wow.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I mean, I don't really give a **** about how much he's being paid. Owners are billionaires, any team in the league could afford to pay him that much, it was all a matter of wanting to. He went for the huge money, good for him. It's a business, and coaching is his job. It's not gonna last forever. Grab it while you can.

That being said, Babcock's not going to turn that dumpster fire around. They need far, far more than a stellar coach. It's a start, but I wouldn't expect them to be anything resembling a legitimately good team for another 5 years.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Morehouse, Rutherford and company quickly dismissed any interest, so its hard to tell if Babcock would have come wearing a mask and holding a gun like he did with Toronto, if he thought he had a real chance to coach Sid and the rest of this team. Not trying is deeply disturbing and when comes from the village idiots currently in control of this team, it doesn't exactly fill you with hope of getting better but of everything getting even worse.;)

are you suggest that we would have had a chance to hire him without paying a ridiculous price? I would have to think they had some idea that Babcock was going to be asking for a ton of money. If we weren't going to give it to him, than there was no reason to say anything but what we said.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What I found hilarious is that he just did a sit down interview with Holland...lol.

Chances are Detroit will be just fine, they'll dust off that "Scotty Bowman's Coaching 101: How to keep winning" coaching guide that Holland gives to every coach to Blashill and they'll probably be better off since I hear Blashill is actually a damn good coach and has been able to adjust and do well with losing talent to the big club. Where as Babcock hasn't been relevant as a coach in the NHL as a champ since 2008, hur dur greatest evar tho!

There's a reason the Wings have let Peters get poached, let Babcock walk but when someone wanted to talk to Blashill they said no. That dude is good.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
That's a huge commitment, i mean 50M for a coach & EIGHT ****in' years...

But hey, Leafs have the biggest market & are probably one of the very few that could afford Babcock at that price.

Oh... & however good Babcock may be, i wish him lots of 'fun' in Congo Toronto! The fans, the media and the team blows toad lickin' goats. :laugh:

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

The team owes him ****. They gave him a chance to head coach in the NHL. If anyone owes anybody I would say Johnston owes the penguins next year but I doubt it will be any different. The guy is a career jrs coach.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Keep believing it won't happen. Crosby has so much respect for this coaching staff he doesn't even bother to listen to Rick Tocchet's advice on the PP. I say Sid in the Summer of 2016 is traded to Toronto at his request.

I'll bet you a $1000 cash that Crosby doesn't get traded, how's that sound??

BobCole

May 21, 2014
ygqMjv2x8KSxW.gif

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly Toronto has thrown/attempted to throw money around for a long time. Their ownership group has it and no problems w/ spending it.

This is nothing but a great move for Toronto. I can't believe people waste their time bickering over how much they are paying a coach. It's one of the best moves Toronto could have made. So what... they over paid and gave too much term for a coach? If they can afford it, who cares?

I'll never get the overall Toronto hate. Their team finally makes a good move.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I want Babcock's agent, 3 playoff series wins in the last 6 years got him 50 million.

It will take Toronto a long time to get the talent Detroit has now, and when they do get that talent Babcock might get them to the 2nd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad