News Article: Babcock to Toronto - for all the monies

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
he's been pretty much I'd expect from a rookie head coach. Can't really blame him for being a rookie; its not like we didn't know that going in. The key will be whether he actually ever improves or not.

I think he will, he's too much a student of the game not to. I think how much autonomy he's given will be a big factor in how quickly that happens, though. But, you know me, I think the hydra spoils everything :laugh: #FireMorehouse

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
My issue with MJ is that I see a lot of the same **** I saw with Bylsma. Terrible line combos, terrible usage of players, terrible TOI allocation, no accountability with horrendous players, etc.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So if Buffalo signs Bylsma, are we going to play nicey nice again and say, "nah you keep the draft pick compensation, we're good over here"?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I can't decide if I think he is unwilling to sit/demote vets, or if he's told he's not allowed to.

which is part of my argument for wanting a bigger-named coach. Someone LIKE Babcock wouldn't be subject to that.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
The inexperienced coach thing wouldn't bother me as much if it weren't for the their complete lack of patience with inexperienced players.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
For all of the people who can't get by the whole "Babcock loves vets! omg! Cleary! CLEARY!"

Watch his goodbye presser. He talks to no end about how he almost went to Buffalo because of the young players they have. He talks to no end about how jealous he is of Blashill of all of the young guys coming up in the Detroit system.

Coaches favor vets 99% of the time. That's not an excuse for not being interested in the consensus best coach in the NHL over the past 10-15 years.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
For all of the people who can't get by the whole "Babcock loves vets! omg! Cleary! CLEARY!"

Watch his goodbye presser. He talks to no end about how he almost went to Buffalo because of the young players they have. He talks to no end about how jealous he is of Blashill of all of the young guys coming up in the Detroit system.

Coaches favor vets 99% of the time. That's not an excuse for not being interested in the consensus best coach in the NHL over the past 10-15 years.

besides, he chose Toronto. Even if it was for the money, Toronto is NOT going to be rife with Vets for him to heap playing time on.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
besides, he chose Toronto. Even if it was for the money, Toronto is NOT going to be rife with Vets for him to heap playing time on.

He talks about that as well. Says he is in it for the long haul, cuz that's what it's gonna take to restock that team and do it right. He addressed the money issue, too. Said people are fools if they don't think money wasn't a big factor, but it wasn't the only factor. He wanted a new challenge, and a team to build his way. He was also very excited about coaching another original six team, and that meant a lot to him.

I hope he does well. He seems like a Hell of a good guy, and he's a phenomenal coach.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
No, Therrien was the coach of WBS. He did have NHL experience though with Montreal. What I'm wondering is who was the last one who's last job wasn't in a minor league somewhere.

MT was the best coach they had since, Bowman.

The 5 between Bowman and MT were not all that great for the team, even Herb Brooks. Some trying times masked by Mario coming back, and then the actual slide/down-fall from grace.

Constantine
Brooks
Hikinka
Kehoe
Olczyk

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So if Buffalo signs Bylsma, are we going to play nicey nice again and say, "nah you keep the draft pick compensation, we're good over here"?

More than likely. Still can't believe we didn't ask for a 2nd from NJ. Odds are that even in 3 years it's somewhere in the 40-50 range. Not that I really trust the org to draft and develop that pick... but at least we'd have it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
MT was the best coach they had since, Bowman.

The 5 between Bowman and MT were not all that great for the team, even Herb Brooks. Some trying times masked by Mario coming back, and then the actual slide/down-fall from grace.

Constantine
Brooks
Hikinka
Kehoe
Olczyk

Brooks and Constantine were both fully competent NHL coaches.

Constantine actually had a pretty tremendous track record considering the rosters he saw in his career in both Pitt and San Jose. He picked off a 1 seed in the playoffs with a wretched club at least twice. I don't think he ever missed the playoffs, either. By all rights, he should have missed on 3 or 4 occasions.

Unwatchable brand of hockey, though. Zero forechecker trap, concede the line on rushes, 5 players below the hashmarks in your own zone. D were prohibited from pinching at even strength. All offense was from one and done rushes or special teams. Personality aside (he's one of those guys who talks to people like they're idiots, even if they're his boss) I'm not certain he's not a better coach than Therrien, or, at least, equivalent.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Constantine's issue is not unlike Bylsma and Johnston, albeit they're all vastly different styles: the unwillingness to cater to your superstars.

In my mind, coaching brilliance is a very relative term. If you X and O better than anyone else, but alienate your best player in the process, you're NOT as good of a coach as you think you are.

There's a psychology to coaching that is lost on WAY too many of them at the highest level. The best coaches are those who get their entire roster to believe in him, believe in themselves and believe in each other.

What Bob Hartley did in Calgary this season was nothing short of miraculous. And he's not exactly the master of the X's and O's. But how that team still believed they could make the playoffs without their captain and best player is absolutely mind-blowing. By comparison, we folded like cheap suits once Letang went down.

Sometimes less is more when it comes to coaching. You can be the most brilliant strategist ever, it won't matter if your best players aren't not only on board, but also placed in a position to succeed with said strategy.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Did Johnston have any better options for Sid and Geno? I think its a bit early to put him in that group. Though I guess moving Geno to Sutter's wing and planning to keep Bennett (when he was still playing very well) with Sutter on the 3rd line counter that.

Ok, maybe you're right. Damn.

Still, it was one year. I hope he can change that.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Did Johnston have any better options for Sid and Geno? I think its a bit early to put him in that group. Though I guess moving Geno to Sutter's wing and planning to keep Bennett (when he was still playing very well) with Sutter on the 3rd line counter that.

Ok, maybe you're right. Damn.

Still, it was one year. I hope he can change that.

There is a lot of damning evidence.

Crosby produced 20 fewer points, for one thing. And HE gained Hornqvist at the expense of Malkin (Neal).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad