Speculation: Babcock is gone, but will Cleary be back? Also tank talk.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Facts: we have provided a link with a quote from Holland saying it's possible Cleary is back
Facts: Holland's unwritten promise was for 3 years, which includes this upcoming season
Facts: Holland loves Cleary as much as Babcock and preaches loyalty

You're ignoring the facts because you don't want to see him back.

At least hes done after next season

But wait, THERES MORE

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Pack his bags already.

I couldn't care less what handshake agreement took place in an airplane hangar in Traverse City two years ago. The coach (that a mediocre writer is throwing under the bus) is gone, and more importantly, the player has less gas left in the tank than most beer league players.

The Wings have already been FAR more honorable/generous/patient with Dan Cleary than his performance has deserved. I don't want him as a towel boy, let alone a roster spot.

Broom him. NOW.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Does anyone know the reason why they just don't hire Cleary as an assistant coach? If his qualities are leadership and dedication, why not just hire him as a leader? That solution keeps him around the team and keep him in the locker room.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
Does anyone know the reason why they just don't hire Cleary as an assistant coach? If his qualities are leadership and dedication, why not just hire him as a leader? That solution keeps him around the team and keep him in the locker room.

I'm starting to think the Wings are trying to avoid being sued by Cleary for some oral contract they may or may not have entered into. Otherwise, I can't understand why any of this is happening. That said, I totally agree that keeping him around where he doesn't take a roster spot is probably a great thing. Maybe he can coach or fill some other role like the job Cheli might vacate?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Do you really think he would be waved?

Maltby was and I do see this playing out similarly. We will know if his contract comes in under 900K, if in fact it happens at all.

As eluded to in the last post, Chelios joining the bench should open up some sort of special job for Cleary. If he loves hockey enough to ride the bus he can even play in Grand Rapids I have no problem with that whatsoever. But assuming he is beat out in camp (which we all know is a virtual certainty) he must be sent packing.

I actually want Dan Cleary with the organization when he is done. He loves this organization and he loves this town. I know that what he has evolved into as a player is something we all cannot stomach. But think for a second when you rip the guy.... He is proud of the roots he has put down in Detroit and by almost every account from fans, players, management and media he is an exceptional person. It really stinks that it has come to this, I don't want him in a Wings jersey as a player and haven't for sometime but I remain a fan of the person he is and the loyalty he has to the team I love and the city I love.

I appreciate that he virtually destroyed his body for the Wings. Guy gave us a lot of blood, sweat and tears. I hope it ends now, I cannot even say it has ended well already with the last couple years. But it would be nice to root for the guy and hopefully praise his accomplishments in the front office in some capacity soon here.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Maltby was and I do see this playing out similarly. We will know if his contract comes in under 900K, if in fact it happens at all.

As eluded to in the last post, Chelios joining the bench should open up some sort of special job for Cleary. If he loves hockey enough to ride the bus he can even play in Grand Rapids I have no problem with that whatsoever. But assuming he is beat out in camp (which we all know is a virtual certainty) he must be sent packing.

I actually want Dan Cleary with the organization when he is done. He loves this organization and he loves this town. I know that what he has evolved into as a player is something we all cannot stomach. But think for a second when you rip the guy.... He is proud of the roots he has put down in Detroit and by almost every account from fans, players, management and media he is an exceptional person. It really stinks that it has come to this, I don't want him in a Wings jersey as a player and haven't for sometime but I remain a fan of the person he is and the loyalty he has to the team I love and the city I love.

I appreciate that he virtually destroyed his body for the Wings. Guy gave us a lot of blood, sweat and tears. I hope it ends now, I cannot even say it has ended well already with the last couple years. But it would be nice to root for the guy and hopefully praise his accomplishments in the front office in some capacity soon here.

Dan Cleary for GM, Maybe Holland can trade Howard and take his place as Goaltender!

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I'm starting to think the Wings are trying to avoid being sued by Cleary for some oral contract they may or may not have entered into. Otherwise, I can't understand why any of this is happening. That said, I totally agree that keeping him around where he doesn't take a roster spot is probably a great thing. Maybe he can coach or fill some other role like the job Cheli might vacate?

Me too. Its like the Red Wings are afraid of something because his contracts make no sense. I don't think a single team in the NHL would sign him.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm starting to think the Wings are trying to avoid being sued by Cleary for some oral contract they may or may not have entered into.

Doubt it. I doubt that is the motivation factor. What I believe is the motivation factor is holding true to your word. If you don't have your word, you have nothing.

Me too. Its like the Red Wings are afraid of something because his contracts make no sense. I don't think a single team in the NHL would sign him.

No. There are too many loopholes to bury his 'new' contract. I'm certain this isn't about being sued. It's about being true to your word. A new contract isn't going to hurt the team. Cleary being on the opening day roster will hurt the team.

My guess is Holland wants to promote Cleary to front office. Everyone knows he's not playing in the NHL anymore.

any dollar spent on cleary is one less dollar we could spend on someone we could use/need

thats the bottom line

No it isn't. If Cleary contract costs Holland from being able to sign a top 4 dman or a top 6 forward, then I'd agree with you. But that isn't going to happen. So your point is moot.

*if* Cleary re-signs, he will be buried in the minors. Perhaps his leadership will be a HUGE bonus in the minors for the up-and-coming players, namely Mantha who has questionable work ethics.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
*if* Cleary re-signs, he will be buried in the minors. Perhaps his leadership will be a HUGE bonus in the minors for the up-and-coming players, namely Mantha who has questionable work ethics.

no, because cleary if signed takes up cap room unless of course he plays for free, let alone that he is a roster spot against our limit

i dont see holland signing cleary to a AHL only contract

as for whether it has to be a top 4 dman or top 6 forward, that point is moot because its not an either/or situation, almost anyone at any position on the depth chart is better then daniel cleary

cleary is a waste of both roster position and cap space at this point in time

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
no, because cleary if signed takes up cap room unless of course he plays for free, let alone that he is a roster spot against our limit

i dont see holland signing cleary to a AHL only contract

as for whether it has to be a top 4 dman or top 6 forward, that point is moot because its not an either/or situation, almost anyone at any position on the depth chart is better then daniel cleary

cleary is a waste of both roster position and cap space at this point in time

Unless Cleary's "new" contract (which will certainly be a 2-way contract) single-handedly blocks Holland from signing Mike Green, Martin, or the like... then your point is valid.

It won't, so who cares. Clearly will be waived and all this will be a none issue.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Unless Cleary's "new" contract (which will certainly be a 2-way contract) single-handedly blocks Holland from signing Mike Green, Martin, or the like... then your point is valid.

It won't, so who cares. Clearly will be waived and all this will be a none issue.

i suppose you're right

though i dont think holland signs cleary under the premise that he would waive him, i believe it would be to reward for his loyalty him with another 1.5 million dollars for his bank account(if not more)

Actual Thought*

Facts: we have provided a link with a quote from Holland saying it's possible Cleary is back
Facts: Holland's unwritten promise was for 3 years, which includes this upcoming season
Facts: Holland loves Cleary as much as Babcock and preaches loyalty

You're ignoring the facts because you don't want to see him back.

I am not arguing nor dismissing the facts as you see them but there are additional facts that apply.
Fact:The 14th forward on this team will have very little bearing on the success or failure of the team.
Fact: Players don't fully develop by watching hockey games.

Actual Thought*

any dollar spent on cleary is one less dollar we could spend on someone we could use/need

thats the bottom line

So being that cap space isn't an issue the 14th forward is a non issue. It isn't like it would be a better move to have Mantha sit in the press box.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I'd be okay with Toledo, he'd be a waste of a spot in GR.

Eh, this is an overreaction. He'd be a good veteran presence in Grand Rapids. Plus he wouldn't even be the worst player on that team. I'd be happy with a two way deal for him provided he's not in Detroit at all.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
So being that cap space isn't an issue the 14th forward is a non issue. It isn't like it would be a better move to have Mantha sit in the press box.

But it's still nice to have players like Ferraro, Callahan, etc who we don't have top six hopes for getting used to NHL travel, practice, coaching, and action from that spot. At least we can get a glimpse of their ability before waiving them. Them vs Cleary won't have anything more than a negligible impact on the season but it could help the future of the bottom six as we look for guys to replace Miller, Anderson, etc going forward.

Actual Thought*

But it's still nice to have players like Ferraro, Callahan, etc who we don't have top six hopes for getting used to NHL travel, practice, coaching, and action from that spot. At least we can get a glimpse of their ability before waiving them. Them vs Cleary won't have anything more than a negligible impact on the season but it could help the future of the bottom six as we look for guys to replace Miller, Anderson, etc going forward.

I don't see how it helps to have those guys sitting the bench instead of Cleary. How does Callahan sitting the bench help our future or his?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

If Ferraro or Callahan can't make the starting lineup they'll be put on waivers and be sent down to the Griffins. That even assumes they want to re-sign with Detroit.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I don't see how it helps to have those guys sitting the bench instead of Cleary. How does Callahan sitting the bench help our future or his?

It helps us evaluate what they actually can do at the NHL level. Ferrarp is probably ahead of Cleary either way, but there's no further development for Callahan in GR and the 10 games Cleary might get could at least be used to see him play a bit before writing him off as a career non-Wing. The long term impact isn't likely to be huge but it can still be a useful tool to see if we have something.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

cap space isnt an issue?

is the NHL a cap league?

every dollar counts, a dollar spent on one player is a dollar you cant spend on another both at the start of the season and at the TDL

the very idea we would sign cleary to a nhl contract only to waive him is stupid as it flies in the face of everything ken holland stands for..

cleary will either retire(most likely) and be given a job within the organization or he will be given a 1.5-2 million dollar loyalty deal and sit in the pressbox and thus wasting all that money(i dont think pressbox seats at joe cost 2 million a season)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad