Speculation: Babcock is gone, but will Cleary be back? Also tank talk.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What did Dan Cleary do that was so special he deserved a contract no matter what?
Straw poll time!!! Please select from the following options:
• He has photos/other blackmail evidence on Red Wings management
• He has mastered the Jedi mind trick and uses it on the front office
• He actually HAS been cut, but they haven’t “fixed the glitch in payroll†yet
• The offer from Philadelphia was actually to pay him to stay in Detroit, which helps our cap
• Because Holland gonna Holland

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
What did Dan Cleary do that was so special he deserved a contract no matter what?

Darren McCarty, the people's champion, was forced to pay his dues coming back before even being though of on the Wings roster back in 2008.

Or Maltby, who was given a two-way deal and forced to compete after being a famed member of the real Grind Line and an Olympian.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I honestly wouldn't even be upset if they signed him to a two-way contract and made him earn it. Hell if his dressing room influence is half of what they make it to be, having him in GR could be a good thing.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
Why is that absurd? A promise is something you keep even if it is a big inconvenience for the Wings and even if the fans hate it. I for one, am glad that the upper level management is good at giving and keeping their word. That is a good part of Leadership to have!

yeah **** a Stanley Cup, as long as we fulfill those promises to useless plugs. It certainly has helped us sign those big FA (Suter, Parise, etc.) thank God for that loyalty, even if that player refuses to believe they are washed up.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I dunno, but after latest CBA negotiations and this Cleary-saga, I've started thinking that Cleary did sacrifise something from the players union (and what the owners wanted) and Holland has been rewarding him of that act since. Small money thrown for a single player but big things for the whole business...

A real conspiracy. Trojan horse, management favorable man representing players in CBA negotiations.... Dan Cleary, is that you`? All this nonsense promise-crap has to be based for something bigger than Cleary's leadership inside the team, you just can't ignore that bad on-ice efforts. And Babcock was in same ship.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I dunno, but after latest CBA negotiations and this Cleary-saga, I've started thinking that Cleary did sacrifise something from the players union (and what the owners wanted) and Holland has been rewarding him of that act since. Small money thrown for a single player but big things for the whole business...

A real conspiracy. Trojan horse, management favorable man representing players in CBA negotiations.... Dan Cleary, is that you`? All this nonsense promise-crap has to be based for something bigger than Cleary's leadership inside the team, you just can't ignore that bad on-ice efforts. And Babcock was in same ship.

It is telling that the reasons we're coming up with for Cleary's continued relevance in the NHL all revolve around tinfoil conspiracy material.

Because there's no other sane explanation for him to be on an NHL squad.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It is telling that the reasons we're coming up with for Cleary's continued relevance in the NHL all revolve around tinfoil conspiracy material.

Because there's no other sane explanation for him to be on an NHL squad.

The sane explanation is Holland is a man of his word. It's not a good hockey decision, but it is a good human decision. He made a stupid promise.

Actual Thought*

I hope they sew up Cleary on a 3 year deal. Word has it they love him in the press box. He is only 36. I think he can play an hour worth of hockey per season until he is 40.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
So, in order to get a contract with the Wings one only has to have someone in another organization let slip to Holland that they may or may not have offered said person a contract for X money for Y years?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
So, in order to get a contract with the Wings one only has to have someone in another organization let slip to Holland that they may or may not have offered said person a contract for X money for Y years?

That's what it seems like, with the prerequisite being that you were a well-liked Red Wings veteran in the past.

You have to hope that Holland either (a) learned his lesson and Cleary is the last of his kind, or (b) there is some strange, anomalistic facet to this situation with Cleary that it will never happen again. Otherwise, the argument that we have to respect our promises for fear of free agents not trusting us could just as easily be attacked by saying that now Holland is establishing a precedent where, if you are offered X contract with a different team but take less money/term to sign with the Wings, we will make up the difference in the form of a handshake agreement.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Frankly, the Cleary situation just reinforces that Holland is bad at his job now. At least he can draft though, amirite?

Meh. He made a promise, and he's gonna hold up to it. He also made it clear that he wasn't gonna lose assets through waivers again. Cleary will get resigned and then he'll buried from what I've read. If that's the case, then I don't have a problem with the whole thing.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Meh. He made a promise, and he's gonna hold up to it. He also made it clear that he wasn't gonna lose assets through waivers again. Cleary will get resigned and then he'll buried from what I've read. If that's the case, then I don't have a problem with the whole thing.

If Cleary is on the NHL roster and no one is traded then someone will have to be waived.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This bit is new to me (and I hope may definitively silence any remaining Dan Cleary conspiracy theorists):

That's interesting, considering Khan said this today:

You are correct in stating Cleary did not have any guaranteed offers in 2013. He said the offer he received from the Philadelphia Flyers was for a training camp tryout.

Which is exactly how I remembered it. Basically Holland knew Cleary might not have a job and gave him a promise of a 3 year deal.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/06/ask_ansar_on_trades_free_agent.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad