Speculation: Babcock is gone, but will Cleary be back? Also tank talk.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/another-year-of-daniel-cleary

Many people thought the only reason Cleary was back was because of Babcock. Not sure exactly why that is considering Ken Holland's entire career has been based around extreme loyalty and retreads.

This is obviously speculation, but if Kindl, Smith, Weiss etc... all get a fresh start, how about ol' Danny Boy? Because obviously, Holland's handshake agreement has to continue for at least another year.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
As dumbfounding as it was seeing Cleary being brought back after that awful 2014 season, he was at least used a lot and played in the majority of Detroit's games that year. Not trying to defend it, because it was terrible. But I could SEE an angle for why it was done. Plus with how injury prone Detroit is, he could act as a replacement.

But now? He played a whomping 17 games last season and still played mediocre as always. This is the off-season where the ties are cut.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
0% chance. Last year was about going good on the handshake. And I was ok with Holland being a man of his word. Cleary hung around the dressing room. Suited up for the occasional game. Got some pizza money from Illitch. Didn't really block anyone. Wasn't an embarrassment on the ice. Was all good. We were warned about the second year pretty early on by HSJames.

This upcoming year. 0% chance.

Toronto, Grand Rapids, or front office. Maybes.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Cleary can always, as Short suggests, join the front office in a Kris Draper-like "special assistant to the GM" role.
Yup.

I'll be shocked if he's brought back. The same defense minus Zidlicky, on the other hand...

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
I was livid when they briught back Quincey because it was a horrible decision. I'vw been just as angry the last two times they brought ckeary back after he was supposedly gone. Now, hopefully the third time is the charm. He's a nice, well-spoken guy but we hardly have room for Pulks. Pulks is infinitely more valuable than Cleary is, or has been for years. If we have a repeat scenario of two seasons ago where Cleary is signed and blocks up and coming players well. . . I will be quite upset.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Cleary should be a member of the organization, but playing hockey...

giphy.gif

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/another-year-of-daniel-cleary

Many people thought the only reason Cleary was back was because of Babcock. Not sure exactly why that is considering Ken Holland's entire career has been based around extreme loyalty and retreads.

This is obviously speculation, but if Kindl, Smith, Weiss etc... all get a fresh start, how about ol' Danny Boy? Because obviously, Holland's handshake agreement has to continue for at least another year.

I know people have blamed Babcock but he didn't play Cleary much at all these past couple seasons. That's not how a guy who views Cleary as essential utilizes him.

Holland has gone on record saying he wants to get every last bit of hockey out of their guys and you could have claimed MISSION ACCOMPLISHED with regard to Cleary at least two seasons ago.

Loyalty only goes so far and Holland eventually forced Osgood, Maltby and Draper's hand. I can't see him bringing Cleary back, although it could be the Chris Chelios deal where Cleary waits to sign and takes whatever salary is available. I'd greatly prefer that not happen as we are a much different team than we were in 2008 and 2009 when Quincey was waived to keep Cheli's "leadership" on the team.

The youth movement is in full swing, hopefully Holland has learned his lesson when he loaded the roster with crap in 2013 and it was only the "kids who weren't ready for the men's league" who saved our *****.

Actual Thought*

I just don't see the outrage either way. Would people be much happier if Pulks got the opportunity to sit the bench for 65 games a year? Was Cleary being on our roster the difference maker last year? This team has far bigger concerns than the guy who never plays. I think people make far too much of an issue over who is the last forward on our depth chart. I would rather that guy be a veteran presence than a snot nosed dreamer wasting away his career as a healthy scratch. This team put up a 100 pt season with Dan Cleary on the bench. They lost in the first rd with Dan Cleary on the bench. Would it be better if we lost in the 1st rd with Pulks on the bench? Should we sign another cheaper free agent to sit the bench so we have cap space to buy nothing? Who cares who the 14th forward is?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Would not be even remotely surprised. But I sure as hell hope not.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Who cares who the 14th forward is?

That was my attitude last season, but when I think of him getting another free season to be useless and stink up the ice on the rare occasions he does play, for some reason I get angry.

It's like that guy at the office who's stealing paychecks and everyone knows it. You're not doing anything. You're taking up space that a useful person could be occupying. And even if we didn't replace you, at least we could use your desk for storage. At some point, enough has to be enough.

He got his free season, and even got his horse **** free bonus. That's enough. If they feel his presence is that important, he can be present in the front office.

Actual Thought*

That was my attitude last season, but when I think of him getting another free season to be useless and stink up the ice on the rare occasions he does play, for some reason I get angry.

It's like that guy at the office who's stealing paychecks and everyone knows it. You're not doing anything. You're taking up space that a useful person could be occupying. And even if we didn't replace you, at least we could use your desk for storage. At some point, enough has to be enough.

He got his free season, and even got his horse **** free bonus. That's enough. If they feel his presence is that important, he can be present in the front office.

I just don't concern myself about what someone else is getting. I think they used his spot as a assistant coach's assistant. I think they like Cleary and feel that he brings other positives even as his body has aged. You don't get stud young guys to sit on the bench. It doesn't enhance their game. I don't expect Cleary to sign another player contract but I really don't begrudge him for making money. He isn't doing nothing. He is training and being prepared to play in an NHL game at a moment's notice. He is practicing. He is taking road trips away from his family. He is mentoring kids on how to be NHL player players. He actually brings quite a bit of value from a position that almost never sees the ice.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just actually had the time to read the article. Lol yeah, this is definitely happening.

Holland is an invertebrate, when it comes to Cleary.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I just don't concern myself about what someone else is getting. I think they used his spot as a assistant coach's assistant. I think they like Cleary and feel that he brings other positives even as his body has aged. You don't get stud young guys to sit on the bench. It doesn't enhance their game. I don't expect Cleary to sign another player contract but I really don't begrudge him for making money. He isn't doing nothing. He is training and being prepared to play in an NHL game at a moment's notice. He is practicing. He is taking road trips away from his family. He is mentoring kids on how to be NHL player players. He actually brings quite a bit of value from a position that almost never sees the ice.

So let him be a coach. Cleary getting any playing time this season over anyone else who has a future with the Wings is an embarrassment. Sorry Blash, I know Prospect X is better suited to play tonight, but we need to make sure Cleary hits his bonuses. It's ******** and a terrible way to run a business.

Ice the best team and best depth, period. No excuses.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The league needs to step in and nail us for circumventing the cap with these handshake agreements.

Which, they actually would, if it wasn't Dan Cleary.

Actual Thought*

So let him be a coach. Cleary getting any playing time this season over anyone else who has a future with the Wings is an embarrassment. Sorry Blash, I know Prospect X is better suited to play tonight, but we need to make sure Cleary hits his bonuses. It's ******** and a terrible way to run a business.

Ice the best team and best depth, period. No excuses.

Ice is something your 14th forward sees very little of. He isn't keeping your prospects from playing. He is keeping them from sitting the bench. It is also worth noting that call ups played while Cleary sat. Sitting is the job of a 14th forward. This is not a position for a prospect. It is a role for a team first veteran.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->