GDT: Avs vs Habs in Quebec City Friday 26th September 7.30 PM EDT/5.30 PM MDT ‎( link#67)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Yeah, DVRs aren't all that new and most people have them now. Me included.

O'Reilly wasn't covering anyone. He wasn't physically competing for position in front of the net. He wasn't battling for the loose puck. Heck, he wasn't even stick checking a man. O'Reilly was standing in the slot watching Elliott get outnumbered 2v1 and when Elliott got beat he continued to watch the guy wrap the puck around for a goal. To say he was a tad late is like saying the Titanic had a minor leak.

So what, in that picture you think he should be on Hensick's hip?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think we can all agree that ROR just sucks defensively and is a floating malcontent. Tricking the main board into thinking he was some sort of hard worker and defensive savant was fun and all, but this preseason game just proved what a joke that softie really is.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I love how this comes right before the prior quote.

So because ROR didn't over-commit himself to a man, thereby leaving the slot wide open for any Canadien player that got himself open, ROR doesn't understand defensive zone coverage? He picked the higher percentage spot to defend, two guys down low can't score. One of them passes out front or steps out front and they can score.
The two posts are unrelated. One was in response to CGI's attempt at sarcasm.

You do realize the Avs play a man to man defense zone coverage system don't you? Just covering a spot of ice waiting for an opponent to skate by isn't exactly Roy's defensive system.

It's not a matter of O'Reilly not understanding defensive zone coverage. I'm sure he understands it quite well by now. It was more a matter of O'Reilly not competing hard enough to prevent a goal because it's an exhibition game. That was my whole point all along.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So you're saying you don't understand defensive zone coverage?

I must be honest. My test scores weren't quite perfect, so at my college they taught players to read the action on the ice so that they could analyze the situation and realize that a completely abandoned slot is more likely to lead to a goal after a break down than an extra man behind the net. But they based that on common sense as displayed by any NHL team who know what they are doing, or literally any penalty killing unit, regardless of competence.

We didn't do too much new wave theory or experimental defending until 102.

Edit: and I take offense to being besmirched as just some cgi, I exist damn you!

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I must be honest. My test scores weren't quite perfect, so at my college they taught players to read the action on the ice so that they could analyze the situation and realize that the slot is more likely to lead to a goal then an extra man behind the net. But they based that on common sense as displayed by any NHL team who know what they are doing, or literally any penalty killing unit, regardless of competence.

We didn't do too much new wave theory or experimental defending until 102.
Sure thing, go ahead and keep telling yourself that covering a spot of open ice is better than covering an open man. Eventually you might actually believe it.

This just in.... open ice doesn't score goals, open players do.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's usually pretty hard to score through the back of the net. So generally players have to bring the puck back from behind the goal line or pass it to a player who has an actual angle on goal. Thus you cover the front of the net and wait for the extra guy to make a move out from behind the net when cleaning up a ****up.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Sure thing, go ahead and keep telling yourself that covering a spot of open ice is better than covering an open man. Eventually you might actually believe it.

This just in.... open ice doesn't score goals, open players do.

I'll ask again, you seriously believe O'Reilly should be all over Hensick in that photo? Instead of being in a position to play the man (Hensick) if the puck comes to him and in position to protect the front of the net if the puck squirts that way, you think he should just attach himself to Hensick and leave the front of the net wide open? This would also give him no chance at all in stopping that wrap around play.

And how exactly is Hensick open? RoR is in a position to tip away a pass to him or at the very least in a good position to guard him/block a shot if he does get the puck.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why are we having 2 and 3 GDT's open at the same time. Can we shut this down? The board has been a mess lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad