GDT: Avs vs Habs in Quebec City Friday 26th September 7.30 PM EDT/5.30 PM MDT ‎( link#67)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
People need to realize the whole team was only together for ONE of these preseason games. The one last night. And that's without Mitchell, McGinn, Holden, Redmond, and potentially Everberg. So chill out please.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I sure wish Will would get a chance in some of these games.

I agree, if they love him so much shouldn't he get in a game at some point? Maybe tomorrow, I hope.

I put this in the prospects thread but maybe it's interesting to everyone that I heard interview with Bleackley and he said he's going to play RW with Red Deer because the Avs requested so.

Last edited:

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Commenting on the game and saying that the team lacked fire, they were lazy at times, they turned the puck over too easily, and they got outplayed by an AHL level team is very fair. It's the truth. Saying all those things doesn't mean it will carry over into the regular season or that the team will suck once the regular season starts however.

I think Tanguay, Iginla, O'Reilly, Duchene, Landeskog and a few of the big names aren't necessarily dogging it right now but there's not a ton of fire inside to play these games either. It looks to me like they're getting their work in and preparing themselves physically for the regular season.

As Roy said... there's some concern over the lack of focus however the key will be to win a couple coming up and most importantly be ready for the regular season.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Commenting on the game and saying that the team lacked fire, they were lazy at times, they turned the puck over too easily, and they got outplayed by an AHL level team is very fair. It's the truth. Saying all those things doesn't mean it will carry over into the regular season or that the team will suck once the regular season starts however.

I think Tanguay, Iginla, O'Reilly, Duchene, Landeskog and a few of the big names aren't necessarily dogging it right now but there's not a ton of fire inside to play these games either. It looks to me like they're getting their work in and preparing themselves physically for the regular season.

As Roy said... there's some concern over the lack of focus however the key will be to win a couple coming up and most importantly be ready for the regular season.

Avs were not outplayed by an AHL team. Avs clearly were the better team. And I don't think that the Avs showed a lack of fire...the top players did their best to play well and win. They lost because that happens in hockey sometimes.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I was going to say that too, they didn't get outplayed. They carried the play almost the entire game. I actually think of the vets Landy and MacKinnon have showed more desire than the older vets.

Remember last year when a team would be forced to ice half an AHL team and everyone would get cocky here and then they would lose? I remember that's what happened in that 8-2 game or whatever it was, Edmonton was trying out a bunch of guys they just called up.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
It's pre season... IMO what we should focus on is individual performance and timing or chemistry. forget about goals and look at it like a score does not count game. Some guys are more ready than other, and while it appeared some vet guys looked not playing hard, again it's pre season.
I disagree Wilson was so bad... I gave him a pass in pass/fail due to hits and generally hood d play. Who got an F? Cliche and mcL they really need to be better. I also was again impressed with Rendilick. Needs to learn but if he has any aptitude for learning we may see him as the year goes forward. All top six guys looked like good players who need to get there legs back, exciept for Duchene. Even Mac who plays dominant looks like he is not at peak speediness.... Again no worries.
Pew do need to find a way to win face offs. I'm actual more concerned there than with our d.... Elliot still soft but he does skate and has potential..... If he can be tought

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I just can't find myself to care about the wins or losses right now. The Avs are playing more pre-season games this year than they have in the past, so these early ones are even more useless when it comes to telling you what's to come. They've still got 4 preseason games left, plenty of time to work out some kinks.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Uh, uhm... Fire Army!

That's who we're gonna blame during losses, right?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Usually there's biased opinions based on who we like or don't like but yesterday it was pretty much unanimous that Wison was one of the worst players on the ice. I didn't get that column at all.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So Chambers writes a story on how well Wilson is doing and then I see him as a sleeper pick on a national fantasy site. Sigh.

Yea, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Just lazy journalism. Makes for an easy story to write, so who cares if it's true or not.

I thought Willy was decent in the first game in Montreal because I don't remember noticing him much (in a good way) but last night he was not good at all. Couldn't clear the net, beat wide a few times, slow to react mentally, and too slow on his feet to catch up, bad pinches, falling down when the other team has the puck. These are the problems that have always plagued him.

He wasn't god awful in the last game, but it surely wasn't a good showing from him.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I remember when Toronto swept the preseason and then crashed and burned. I don't care as the results as long as our guys get solid preparation and get through this healthy.

For the regular season we've also got to keep in mind that Iginla will probably be a slow starter as he was in Calgary. Gotta be ready for some frustrating early seasons production - if it doesn't happen great, but there's a good chance it might.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Avs were not outplayed by an AHL team. Avs clearly were the better team. And I don't think that the Avs showed a lack of fire...the top players did their best to play well and win. They lost because that happens in hockey sometimes.
The Avs showed more talent but the Habs AHLers beat the Avs and it wasn't because of a fluke play or a bad call.

Like it or not after the 1st period the Montreal's AHL players outplayed the Avs last night because they played with more speed and aggressiveness, they won many of the battles for the loose pucks, and they beat the Avs because of it.

Unfortunately the Habs deserved the win.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I was going to say that too, they didn't get outplayed. They carried the play almost the entire game. I actually think of the vets Landy and MacKinnon have showed more desire than the older vets.

Remember last year when a team would be forced to ice half an AHL team and everyone would get cocky here and then they would lose? I remember that's what happened in that 8-2 game or whatever it was, Edmonton was trying out a bunch of guys they just called up.
After the 1st period actually the Avs did get outplayed. The Montreal AHLers were faster, they played more aggressively, they won many of the battles for the loose pucks, and they beat the Avs because of it.

I'm not saying it has any impact on the regular season at all but to deny the Avs got outplayed by Montreal after the 1st period looks like you may have watched the game through burgundy and white colored glasses.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
After the 1st period actually the Avs did get outplayed.

The first half of the 2nd period was all AVS. They started to suck after that when for some reason Wilson and Elliott became our first pairing and the Mack line wasn't having as much ice time. The Talbot Briere line was horrible.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
After the 1st period actually the Avs did get outplayed. The Montreal AHLers were faster, they played more aggressively, they won many of the battles for the loose pucks, and they beat the Avs because of it.

I'm not saying it has any impact on the regular season at all but to deny the Avs got outplayed by Montreal after the 1st period looks like you may have watched the game through burgundy and white colored glasses.

Um, excuse me. I watched the game. I wish there was an actual box score to this game to see the shots. I agree the first was their best period but there was sustained pressure in each period. I'm not an idiot and I don't appreciate being painted as one. There is no reason to delude myself and others over a preseason game.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
The first half of the 2nd period was all AVS. They started to suck after that when for some reason Wilson and Elliott became our first pairing and the Mack line wasn't having as much ice time. The Talbot Briere line was horrible.
Tanguay wasn't very good for much of the game, specially on the defensive zone turnover that led to the first Montreal goal.

On one specific sequence Montreal crashed the front of the net and Talbot half-covered his man while three or four Montreal players actually pushed Varly into the net. Well after the play was whistled dead Wilson finally got tough and jumped on a guy but it was a day late and a dollar short.

On the Montreal second goal O'Reilly was in front of the net watching Elliott try to cover two men and just standing there. When the Montreal player got the puck and proceeded to skate around the net and wrap the puck around for a goal O'Reilly half attempted to stick check the guy after it was too late.

Johnson got beat for the game winner because he simply lost focus and was flat footed as Prust blazed around him looking for the home run pass.

etc... etc... etc...

Too many turnovers and not high enough compete level allowed Montreal to get the win.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Um, excuse me. I watched the game. I wish there was an actual box score to this game to see the shots. I agree the first was their best period but there was sustained pressure in each period. I'm not an idiot and I don't appreciate being painted as one. There is no reason to delude myself and others over a preseason game.
Yeah, did you see the following happen or did you overlook these plays? The box score typically doesn't show effort and certainly wouldn't have last night.

Tanguay wasn't very good for much of the game, specially on the defensive zone turnover that led to the first Montreal goal.

On one specific sequence Montreal crashed the front of the net and Talbot half-covered his man while three or four Montreal players actually pushed Varly into the net. Well after the play was whistled dead Wilson finally got tough and jumped on a guy but it was a day late and a dollar short.

On the Montreal second goal O'Reilly was in front of the net just standing there watching Elliott try to cover two men. When the Montreal player got the puck and proceeded to skate around the net and wrap the puck around for a goal O'Reilly half attempted to stick check the guy after it was too late.

Johnson got beat for the game winner because he simply lost focus and was flat footed as Prust blazed around him looking for the home run pass.

As I said, last night's game doesn't mean the Avs will or won't be good in the regular season. But at least call a spade a spade... the Avs didn't play with much fire last night. Even Roy said so himself.

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Three bad plays and a few other breakdowns marred a fairly dominant performance by the Avs. That's how I see it.

I also don't get how effort comes into the equation at all. There's no evidence to say that the Avs showed a lack of effort. From what I saw the core top players (Duchene, Mack, Landeskog) played well and tried hard to do so. EJ wasn't that great but had two points, and was trying as well. The only players who can be blamed for lack of effort right now are Iginla and ROR, both of whom seem disinterested. And again I have no evidence that it's a lack of effort or just poor chemistry (or getting old)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Three bad plays and a few other breakdowns marred a fairly dominant performance by the Avs. That's how I see it.

I also don't get how effort comes into the equation at all. There's no evidence to say that the Avs showed a lack of effort. From what I saw the core top players (Duchene, Mack, Landeskog) played well and tried hard to do so. EJ wasn't that great but had two points, and was trying as well. The only players who can be blamed for lack of effort right now are Iginla and ROR, both of whom seem disinterested. And again I have no evidence that it's a lack of effort or just poor chemistry (or getting old)

I want to see how Iggy will play with Mack and Landy (if Roy keeps him there). Dutchy and ROR's chemistry came back as soon as they replaced Iggy with Tangs on that line.

Iggy also looked better on the Mack line but Roy didn't play them much after the change for some reason. Too bad because Mack was the best player on the ice for the first half of the game. That's when the "preseason factor" kicked in I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad