Post-Game Talk: Avs vs CBJ Lose 2-1: The "We Got 'Sacco'd'" Edition

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Didn't play that well but should've been enough to beat the Jackets. But the refs proved to be too much. 5 on 3 they couldn't score, 5 on 3 to tie the game, 4 on 3 to win the game. Nuff said.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Mitchell isn't a winger and he played poorly when Sacco put him on Stastny's wing earlier this season.

Hejduk isn't a very good player anymore and he doesn't really mesh with O'Reilly's style of play.

It's only one game and O'Reilly's first game but I don't see that line working.

If it was up to me, I'd try out:

McGinn-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Stastny
McLeod-Mitchell-Hejduk
Bordeleau-Olver-Kobasew

Stastny just doesn't have the speed anymore in my opinion to work well with the linemates given (although playing with Jones, Stastny looks like Mason Raymond out there), so maybe he can be free'd up to generate more off the wing; can't hurt to try

Jones needs to be sat; too many times the play dies on his stick be it off the cycle or off the rush, he just flat out sucks

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I would flip out.

Once EJ and Wilson come back, they should run with:

Wilson - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Who - Cares

Play EJ/Wilson 25 or so minutes, Hejda-Barrie about 22, and whatever left over minutes give to the other two.

IIRC last season didn't Wilson and Johnson play atrocious together? I'd try Hejda-Johnson and Wilson-Barrie, I'm pretty sure Wilson and Johnson just could not mesh well at all last season at one point when Wilson was something like +16 and was paired with Johnson for a little while, they both went something like -7 or -8 over the next few games. Not the most important stat but it does have a bit of significance

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
IIRC last season didn't Wilson and Johnson play atrocious together? I'd try Hejda-Johnson and Wilson-Barrie, I'm pretty sure Wilson and Johnson just could not mesh well at all last season at one point when Wilson was something like +16 and was paired with Johnson for a little while, they both went something like -7 or -8 over the next few games. Not the most important stat but it does have a bit of significance

Wilson and EJ played well together this season unless I'm mistaken.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
But a once in a generation type talent with tons of carachter should be able to elevate his wingers. He would have been a top 5 pick if we had a do over after all.

No one called him a once in a generation type talent and he would easily go in the top 10 if the draft was done again.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Wilson and EJ played well together this season unless I'm mistaken.

I can't remember all that much to games where they played together because I've been so enthralled in the O'Reilly situation/asking for Sacco to be fired lol, Johnson has had many partners this season though has he not?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

If at first you don't succeed, beat the dead horse.

Seriously, though, I'd try it again.
Hejda-Barrie have a good thing going.
And we've tried SOB and Hunwicles with EJ with less than spectacular results.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
I would flip out.

Wilson - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Who - Cares

Play EJ/Wilson 25 or so minutes, Hejda-Barrie about 22, and whatever left over minutes give to the other two.

I actually care about the third pairing, a Zanon-Hunwick pairing would in 12-15 mins ice time undo eveything the 2 other pairs tried to achieve.That is preventing the other team from scoring...

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I would flip out.

Wilson - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Who - Cares

HAHA I love the third pairing...

Just call up Elliott and Siemens...they cant be worse than what we have :sarcasm:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If at first you don't succeed, beat the dead horse.

Seriously, though, I'd try it again.
Hejda-Barrie have a good thing going.
And we've tried SOB and Hunwicles with EJ with less than spectacular results.

The last thing any of us should be forced to watch is O'Brien, O'Byrne, Hunwick, or Zanon in the top 4 once EJ and Wilson return. It doesn't matter to me who plays with who, just get the 4 atrocious dmen out of there

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
No one called him a once in a generation type talent and he would easily go in the top 10 if the draft was done again.

He was called the best defensive forward in the last 25 years. That sounds a lot like "generational talent" to me.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I actually care about the third pairing, a Zanon-Hunwick pairing would in 12-15 mins ice time undo eveything the 2 other pairs tried to achieve.

In an absolutely perfect world, Sherman would be able to find a decent young top-4 to play with EJ, we could keep Hejda-Barrie together and play Wilson-Elliott. I seem to recall Elliott having a lot of success with Wilson, but then Wilson got injured.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Perhaps we should start flying the team to away games, rather than forcing them to hike from city to city. The situation just results in games like that.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Hunwick at least has his speed. Zanon has nothing except his beard.

Except Hunwick doesnt use his speed. I guess Zanon doesnt use his beard either :laugh:

Lets just can them both...

EJ - TBD
Wilson/Hejda - Barrie
Hejda/Wilson - TBD

This is what I would keep...

the rest aside from prospects go.

MAYBE keep SOB or one of them as depth.

Figure out who we value more between ROR and Staz...make a trade and try to get EJ's partner

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00