Post-Game Talk: Avs vs CBJ Lose 2-1: The "We Got 'Sacco'd'" Edition

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So both Sacco and Rycroft aren't fans of that penalty on Duchene. Didn't he hook him?

It was pretty weak IMO, especially since it didn't prevent a scoring chance, Duchene didn't get the puck, and it put the Avs down two men.

They were bumping into Varly all game, including the play where the guy just skated in by himself un touched and ran him over.

None of that BS got called, but the refs twice made cheap calls to put the Avs down two men. The other was when the BJ player passed the puck right to Landy ater he stepped over the boards, and the other Av was about a foot from the bench on the change. The ref has the option to just blow the play dead, but he'd rather put the Avs down two men.

landesberg

varlamov4ever
May 29, 2011
London, ON
If management have Sacco on the hotseat, I don't know why they don't can him now while the team is still somewhat in the playoff race.

It's like they're trying to go for pure mediocrity.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
in 362 days?

Unless we decide to stick with ROR then we can trade Staz at the deadline or in the offseason.

Obviously if we stick with Staz...we have to wait...plus he really needs a better winger than Jones...I hear Corey Perry is a FA

Landy / Staz / Perry

If he doesnt produce with those two...hes really does suck now haha

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Glad I missed the first period, but not happy I decided to watch the rest of the game.

By far the most boring Avs game in the last 5 years or so.

Also that call on Duchene to put them on the 5v3, which lead to the game-tying goal was absolutely terrible. :shakehead

Duchene's line looked a bit sloppy and McGinn had probably his most unnoticeable game in an Avs jersey.

I thought Stastny's line was the best in the game. Also ROB had a solid game until he screwed Varlamov for the GWG.

Barrie played very well and the same with Hejda.

ROR's line looked slow, but Kobasew had a solid game, I love his physicality.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Link?

I always see people joking about it but haven't seen where his agent actually said it.

I think it came from TPS early on, regarding a big package of stats they put together to make the case he's one of the best two way guys in the last 25 years.

Dater also mentioned O'Reilly's agents put together a huge (I want to say 14 page) document with stats in it. He didn't mention the 25 years thing, but it kind of backs up the original story.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Glad I missed the first period, but not happy I decided to watch the rest of the game.

By far the most boring Avs game in the last 5 years or so.

Also that call on Duchene to put them on the 5v3, which lead to the game-tying goal was absolutely terrible. :shakehead

Duchene's line looked a bit sloppy and McGinn had probably his most unnoticeable game in an Avs jersey.

I thought Stastny's line was the best in the game. Also ROB had a solid game until he screwed Varlamov for the GWG.

Barrie played very well and the same with Hejda.

ROR's line looked slow, but Kobasew had a solid game, I love his physicality.

I think Hejda had some bad moments but other than that I agree with you.

I think Jones needs to be a third liner till he gets some work ethic. Bump Duke up to Staz and Lando's line and put Jones with Mitchell and ROR.

SOMEONE needs to boost Jones' effort.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think it came from TPS early on, regarding a big package of stats they put together to make the case he's one of the best two way guys in the last 25 years.

Dater also mentioned O'Reilly's agents put together a huge (I want to say 14 page) document with stats in it. He didn't mention the 25 years thing, but it kind of backs up the original story.

But no confirmation that it was actually said?

landesberg

varlamov4ever
May 29, 2011
London, ON
I think Hejda had some bad moments but other than that I agree with you.

I think Jones needs to be a third liner till he gets some work ethic. Bump Duke up to Staz and Lando's line and put Jones with Mitchell and ROR.

SOMEONE needs to boost Jones' effort.

I think Jones is putting in the effort, he just sucks. The way he carries the puck into the zone on the rush is just asking for a turnover. He's a legitimate black hole of offense on that line, and one of the biggest reasons why even Landeskog was invisible today.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
But no confirmation that it was actually said?

No confirmation except that Dater or Chambers (can't remember) also said they put together a big package of stats and listed how many pages it was. I think they said 14, but I can't find it now.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
David Jones is not gonna work out with $ $'$ and Landeskog (who you know will eventually be moved with $ $'$). Downie's out for the rest of the season.

They need to do their due dilligence and find a physical winger who'll make space and is a decent passer for this to work. He doesn't even have to be in the NHL, Leo Komarov does this for the Leafs and he was playing in Europe but he's a tough hard working player. We don't need someone with Downie's offensive potential but Hejduk/Jones will not work. I'd suggest trading Jones for another guy with a lower cap hit who maybe isn't a 20 goal scorer but at least does some work, if they can move the cap hit.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The Avs just have to trade Stastny, i don't see any other option and here is why...

Duchene can't play 3rd line center, also shouldn't play wing
Stastny can't play 3rd line center, and also shouldn't play wing
O'Reilly actually is a good enough defensive center to play 3rd line but that would limit his offense and he will be less effective on this team. Plus you don't pay a guy 6.5 mill to be a checking 3rd line center. And can't put ROR on the wing either.

3rd line center position belongs to someone like Mitchell not O'Reilly. Trading Stastny is the only option that makes the most sense.

Edit: Besides, once Landeskog and Duchene are up for raises, Avs can not afford to keep all 3 of them.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
This team sucks nuts every day and yet somehow keeps getting further and further away from a good draft pick. How are there teams below us?

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think Varly is now 0-6-2 or something on the road.

Poor guy.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
How the hell does a team like Chicago manage to keep. Seabrook, Keith, Hossa, Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hjalmarsson and we worried bout keeping ROR, duchene, Landeskog, Casper, varly and Johnson?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Rough watch today, sorta sad I recorded it.
-Bords is kinda mean :)
-Apparently any goal is a good goal (ROR)
-SOB, liked his play today mostly.
-this team needs to roll 3 scoring lines and 1 grit line consistently right now until we start getting some wins. Our 4th line is always nonexistent in the 4th and the other guys seem gassed last 10 minutes of every game.
McGinn-Dutch-PAP (need a LW for Dutch this off season IMO)
Lando-Staz-Duke (may work even with Duke's struggles)
Jones-ROR-Pajamas (I like PJ's effort and he seems to get 2-3 chances a game)
McLeod-Mitchell-Kobasew

WHAT A BORING GAME!!!

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
How the hell does a team like Chicago manage to keep. Seabrook, Keith, Hossa, Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hjalmarsson and we worried bout keeping ROR, duchene, Landeskog, Casper, varly and Johnson?

I'm irritated that so many teams got away with cap circumventing deals. Knowing it MIGHT bite them in the ass 6 years down the road if the NHL doesn't decide to let them off the hook in the future isn't very satisfying.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Rough watch today, sorta sad I recorded it.
-Bords is kinda mean :)
-Apparently any goal is a good goal (ROR)
-SOB, liked his play today mostly.
-this team needs to roll 3 scoring lines and 1 grit line consistently right now until we start getting some wins. Our 4th line is always nonexistent in the 4th and the other guys seem gassed last 10 minutes of every game.
McGinn-Dutch-PAP (need a LW for Dutch this off season IMO)
Lando-Staz-Duke (may work even with Duke's struggles)
Jones-ROR-Pajamas (I like PJ's effort and he seems to get 2-3 chances a game)
McLeod-Mitchell-Kobasew

WHAT A BORING GAME!!!

Sacco sucks to stupid to make in game adjustments thats why we get outcoached the last 3 yrs

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
the_fan;60886657 Stastny shouldn't play wing Edit: [B said:
Besides, once Landeskog and Duchene are up for raises, Avs can not afford to keep all 3 of them.

Think Stastny on the wing needs to be tried first for about 5+games. I think he's smart enough to be very good out there, he'll just have to commit to shoot more.

We should be able to keep them if ROR and Staz are around 5.5m/yr each. no point if Staz can't move to wing though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The Avs just have to trade Stastny, i don't see any other option and here is why...

Duchene can't play 3rd line center, also shouldn't play wing
Stastny can't play 3rd line center, and also shouldn't play wing
O'Reilly actually is a good enough defensive center to play 3rd line but that would limit his offense and he will be less effective on this team. Plus you don't pay a guy 6.5 mill to be a checking 3rd line center. And can't put ROR on the wing either.

3rd line center position belongs to someone like Mitchell not O'Reilly. Trading Stastny is the only option that makes the most sense.

Edit: Besides, once Landeskog and Duchene are up for raises, Avs can not afford to keep all 3 of them.

I love how people just throw out 'We can't afford to keep all 3 of them' without actually looking at the numbers. I'm not posting the break down anymore. I've done it like 3 different times... YES WE CAN AFFORD TO KEEP ALL THREE OF THEM.

The only way we can't is if O'Reilly actually will NOT sign a 5 year 25M deal and wants his 6.5M Q/O each year, ON TOP OF Stastny thinking he is still worth 6.6M.

If Stastny will take something like 5.5 AAV and O'Reilly will take 5 AAV, we absolutely can afford all three and ADD FREE-AGENTS to our roster.

Center depth is one of the most important things for a team to have in order to compete in the regular season and the playoffs. O'Reilly at his current salary isn't getting us a better defender than we can find in free-agency next year and neither is Stastny.

Every team that has won the cup has been extremely deep at center, we would be idiots to dump one of them if we can keep all three for 16-17M AAV total.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I think we can't underestimate the impact of coaching on how much we suck.

Toronto is 8th in the league right now with these guys in their top 5 TOI/G:
Phaneuf
Kostka
Gunnarsson
Bozak
Liles

The Sens keep winning and having a +8 goal differential despite all their injury woes.

Sacco must go.

And not be replaced by Quinn or Chynoweth or Army :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad