Confirmed with Link: Avs trade Jermey Hanzel + '25 3rd for Yakov Trenin + D Graham Sward

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Every time I look at Trenin's offensive stats I'm a little surprised, because it seems like every time he plays the Avs he looks like a solid top six forward who scores at will.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
Maybe i missed the talk earlier but was this a sign and trade for some reason? Seems odd that we sign Hanzel to a contract then trade him away right after?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Maybe i missed the talk earlier but was this a sign and trade for some reason? Seems odd that we sign Hanzel to a contract then trade him away right after?
It does seem kind of weird. We could've just traded his rights to Nashville.

Reactions: Avs425

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I saw some speculation that, for whatever reason, it may have been so that the Avs could pay his signing bonus, saving Nashville a little cash

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
He's 20 years old playing his 6th season in the WHL.

I wouldn't take too much from the point totals; he absolutely should be dominating.
Wait.....he was playing in the WHL when he was 14?! Holy shit that's pretty good.

Reactions: JH21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Offense is touch and go?

He has 15-58-73 in 58 GP
Yeah... offense is about tools, impact, and projectability. Not stats. Production can follow those things, but in juniors you have guys who will have no NHL future on a PP, getting full 2 minutes shifts to score. You'll have players with very good shots at a junior level be setup to be trigger men where they are very successful at that level, but don't have a NHL shot that'll be consistent. Many times, on bad WHL teams... you get guys who get all the top minutes simply because there is nobody else. etc. etc.

Point is, his tools are not there and the impact is not consistent given the roles he's playing. You take away his PP usage, he's probably a mid 40 point guy in the Dub. Which sounds great on paper, but is really pretty average for a top pairing WHL defensemen.

Sward is not going to be a NHL point producer. He's going to be the type that just produces with what is around him. If he's on a high scoring team, he may leech out 20-25 points. If he's on a bad team, he might be a 10 point guy. There is going to be no real driving of offense for him. His legit best (and I really don't think this will happen) is left handed Chris Tanev.

Wait.....he was playing in the WHL when he was 14?! Holy shit that's pretty good.
He played 1 game when he was 15. Then a full season 19-20 (at 16), Covid odd year, 21-22, 22-23, and this year. If it wasn't for the oddities around Covid, he'd be in the AHL or ECHL today.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
specifically Vegas ya
Winnipeg plays physical and over the line. Avs last game vs them showed how deficient the D was and that Bowness had figured the Avs out.

Impressive moves made by CMac. Nuke and Landy returns might be considered icing on the cake.

A dish of crow that I am happy to consume. I expected zero out of CMac and wasn't shy about saying so.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
i feel like all of these names are made up
What do you mean?

MV5BYzgxMGE4OWItMDkzYy00OTJlLTkyYWEtZjNlNTQ3MmRlNWRhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyOTg3NTYw._V1_.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad