Confirmed with Link: Avs trade Downie for Max Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Well it is Halloween, crazy things bound to happen.

I still trust Sakic and Roy and they must know something we don't.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
10-1, feeling good about this team. Then, in a span of less than 24 hours, things have to get weird. Such strange timing with all of this.

I hate these extended days off.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Weird - I was just thinking last night that Downie was the best trade asset on our team. Valuable player to a team that wants to do well in the playoffs, low commitment, little risk.

What I didn't expect is that we'd trade him just for another grinder. I thought he'd be packaged for something of substance.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Talbot can play every forward position well, relatively speaking.

Well at least that makes it a little easier to swallow. Still odd asset management.

Roy all but promised Malone he'd be given a chance, and really liked what he saw from him. Why not just do that, and trade Downie for something else if you don't think you can re-sign him. Or wait until later in the season.

Something is fishy here. This trade seems very rushed. They've been pumping Downie's tires all season.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Talbot also has a lot of playoff experience....productive playoff experience.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
"Talbot has won a Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh," Avs coach Patrick Roy said. "He's a great penalty killer. We feel that he's going to (add) a lot of depth to our team. He's a guy that has performed so really well in the playoffs and we think he'll be a great addition."

:facepalm:

He won two cups riding shotgun with Crosby and Malkin. How does he add depth to the team when you're trading Downie for him?

One positive is that we got that bottom six penalty killer we all wanted. Just didn't think it would cost us Downie.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I gotta admit, while I like what Downie brings to a team, he wasn't really doing too good on 1st line even though he had like 7 points 6 of them being assists, but playing with Duchene and ROR contributed to those assists probably mostly secondary.

I still would of prefered him staying and moving down to 3rd line.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I gotta admit, while I like what Downie brings to a team, he wasn't really doing too good on 1st line even though he had like 7 points 6 of them being assists, but playing with Duchene and ROR contributed to those assists probably mostly secondary.

I still would of prefered him staying and moving down to 3rd line.

He didn't seem to be playing as well as earlier in the season, but he had one fewer point than Tanguay for 2nd in team scoring.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
"Talbot has won a Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh," Avs coach Patrick Roy said. "He's a great penalty killer. We feel that he's going to (add) a lot of depth to our team. He's a guy that has performed so really well in the playoffs and we think he'll be a great addition."

He won two cups riding shotgun with Crosby and Malkin. How does he add depth to the team when you're trading Downie for him?

One positive is that we got that bottom six penalty killer we all wanted. Just didn't think it would cost us Downie.

I don't love this trade either but in the end Downie wasn't good enough offensively to keep up with Duchene/MacKinnon or enough of a role player to shut down the opposition or help our PK. This trade, while maybe off valuewise, might make us a more well-rounded team.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I don't really understand it but Talbot is a great player to have on your team. Great role player.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Well, I guess what is done is done and I can't really keep *****ing about it.

Will be interesting to see how the lines shape up. PAP is all but sure to be on the top line. 2nd line probably doesn't change. 3rd line tomorrow, assuming McGinn is out, would probably be Mitchell-Mac-Talbot. And it looks like the 4th line would be Holden-Cliche-Bords.

But long term, which guy will be the winger for MacKinnon, and which will be the 4th line center? I hate to move Mitchell up. He seemed to take really well to a defensive role on the 4th line, but struggled when asked to do something offensively (we all know why). I don't know.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

This is even more facepalm worthy.

"Roy said the Flyers "wanted Steve Downie back and we felt is was the price to pay to get Talbot."

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_24426915/avs-trade-steve-downie-philadelphia-maxime-talbot

Huh?????

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I guess they just want to stack up on guys who have scored 2 goals in SCF game 7's? :laugh:

OMG, I'm going to cry I'm so depressed about how bad this trade is

I guess the next step is to lure Ruslan Fedotenko back to the NHL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad