Confirmed with Link: Avs trade Downie for Max Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So instead of using Downie, if we were going to trade him, to acquire help on Defense, we trade for Max Talbot?

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Another thing of note. Downie is too small to play the reckless, physical style he does. I think it is inevitable that he will spend a lot of time injured.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't mind this trade. I like Talbot's contract and thought Downie was vastly overrated around these parts.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
In my estimation there are two explanations here (other than we got hosed):

1. Downie had a real problem being dropped from Dutchy's line to Mack's line, and had a big clash with Roy/Sakic
2. Clearing space for a blockbuster.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Realistically Downie is a 2nd/3rd liner and Talbot is a 3rd/4th liner.

To add to that Downie is an UFA and Talbot is signed for another 3 years.

I think the value is somewhat there, but would've liked something else back.

I'm not hating the trade, but I'm a bit disappointed.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
This team makes so many moves that might help the team in some way, but does so at a high cost of assets.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I am still confused why we traded him so early in the freakin season. :shakehead Seriously, Talbot would have been available at the trade deadline.

The only reason I can think of is that Roy+Sakic wanted him to get acclaimed to the team and let him grow with it as long as possible.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So MacKinnon now plays with McGinn and Mitchell/Talbot? Or maybe they try him at RW now?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm really trying not to read into the timing of this seemingly rushed move with a poor return, and the other goings on of the day.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006

1. Downie had a real problem being dropped from Dutchy's line to Mack's line, and had a big clash with Roy/Sakic
2. Clearing space for a blockbuster.

I don't understand why we would need a blockbuster trade 10 games into the season when we've been rolling.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Just an odd idea which I don't want to believe in at all but MAYBE they wanted to turn the media's focus on something other than the Varly story and decided to make a quick trade?

Probably nothing to it, just a random thought.

LandoClog

Mar 26, 2012
California
So maybe this trade was to get Mac some experience on his line mate. I know nothing of Talbot but i heard he was a center man that played wing. Duchene, RoR, and Parentau will play. Staz, Lando and Tangs will play and now Mac will have Ginner and the veteran Talbot to teach him. Mitchell will run 4th line duties but I think this move was just to get Mac a more experienced winger that can teach him the face off circle and also play along him in a style that he is not completely used to playing. I love Downie and maybe I am just trying to rationalize things though :-(

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I haven't watched Flyers much this year, but in the past Talbot was one of the best penalty killers in the league. So at least he brings that. Adding him might make Mitchell trade bait, I guess.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
Literally the only situational advantage I think this gives us is that it allows Talbot to take the faceoffs on MacKinnon's line.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

A few people have said this now. If that's true, their first reaction would be to trade him immediately for anything they could get?

Downie was just practicing today. If he went off on Sakic/Roy and they felt he needed to be moved, tell him to stay away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad