Confirmed with Link: Avs trade Downie for Max Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
FFS I really don't like Talbot!

I really loved Downie!

He bled for this team and we just throw him away for this!

I'll wait to see Talbot play but this is major kick while we're down move!

Huis Clos*

Since Sakic and Roy have been so open with the media maybe they'll explain the trade other than just in cliches.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Downie, McGinn, and MacK would have been pretty exposed defensively. Maybe Talbot was brought in to help that out.

Downie is going to get paid this summer as a UFA. I've said it all along.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
My guess is its to form a bit more traditional lines for the long haul. Tanguay will be moved to Mack's line and talbot will go with landy and staz to form a solid shut down line.

What a **** return though

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Is Talobt primarily a center? Has he seen a fair amount of time on the wing?

If not this seemingly affects Brad Malone in the future as well. Someone Roy wanted to give a chance to. Weird move.

The only way it makes sense is because Talbot's signed for cheap a couple more years, and is a good leader in a similar role. Don't get why they didn't package Downie with something for a D. Don't get why they wouldn't want to keep him either, he added such a good element to this team that kept the opposition off balance, and still was quite good on a scoring line.

Philly should be the one that's desperate to make a move, why does it feel like the Avs were?

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Just throwing this out there...

Cant Brad Malone basically do everything Talbot does...AND is younger? AND doesnt cost us Downie?

This trade is freaking awful

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Downie, McGinn, and MacK would have been pretty exposed defensively. Maybe Talbot was brought in to help that out.

What's ironic enough is he went to a team where the GM doesn't mind doing that. :sarcasm:

Yeah Downie's defensive game blows.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Terrible few days for Avs fans.

Talbot is a valuable player and he helps in certain areas but you don't trade a guy like Downie for him.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

This. Downie was a goner after the season and Talbot brings defensive acumen and some scoring.

I like this move, as long as Talbot can play RW.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Sigh we better resign Stastny because of this, does Talbot play pk? I saw Downie leaving us as we can't afford him IMO after this year but to trade him so early :/.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is Talobt primarily a center? Has he seen a fair amount of time on the wing?

If not this seemingly affects Brad Malone in the future as well. Someone Roy wanted to give a chance to. Weird move.

The only way it makes sense is because Talbot's signed for cheap a couple more years, and is a good leader in a similar role. Don't get why they didn't package Downie with something for a D.

Philly should be the one that's desperate to make a move, why does it feel like the Avs were?

Talbot can play every forward position well, relatively speaking.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Also not sure who you need to clear space for said blockbuster. We can add literally 14 million in cap space and be fine.

Considering the raises to McGinn, Varly, ROR + Staz new contract including the new deals to Guenin, Benoit and Barrie on D I say this gave us a chance to add a player like Cambell to our roster without it hampering our chances of signing these players to long term deals.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Awful value on the return. Awful. I understand that Downie might not have been a guy we could retain, but his value was high to start the year; you don't dish him for a mediocre player on a bad team. I reckon you could've gotten MUCH more for him, especially if you held onto him until the deadline.

Why again did we just trade for Max Talbot?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Im gonna trust Joe and Co. on this one. Downie is going to get paid this summer. No doubt its weird because its only 11 games in but Talbot isnt as bad as some of you guys are making him out to be. I will miss crazy Downie.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Considering the raises to McGinn, Varly, ROR + Staz new contract including the new deals to Guenin, Benoit and Barrie on D I say this gave us a chance to add a player like Cambell to our roster without it hampering our chances of signing these players to long term deals.

It certainly did that. Talbot's cap hit is 1.75 IIRC

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
I am still confused why we traded him so early in the freakin season. :shakehead Seriously, Talbot would have been available at the trade deadline.

My only thoughts on this would be that they knew he was going to walk, and they are thinking playoffs this year and want whoever is coming in for him to be with the team as long as possible for chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad