Confirmed with Link: Avs trade Conditional '25 1st + Ryan Johansen to Philly for Sean Walker + '26 5th

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
none of that stuff about RyJo can be true - the NHL has a rigorous program to investigate and validate injuries to make sure teams aren't circumventing the cap. Just look at Vegas.
The Avs timed the trade!

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Edmonton bolstering defense? Never!
Feels like an 'after the fact - difficult to disprove' garbage by elliotte.

I can do it too - 'yeah I think that the Rangers were thinking about getting Henrique but then settled on Wennberg instead' - I'm so FULL of inside sources (aka bullshit)

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Even for an Avs defenseman, Walker is just insanely aggressive offensively. Both of his goals last night were the result of him barreling headlong into a place where he wasn't expected to be. That's awesome, but I have to wonder if that will burn us a time or two going forward. The Avs forwards are really good about covering for them in those situations, but even if they get into the proper position to replace him, forwards are usually not as good as defending off the rush as defensemen are, and having a forward back on D is usually something an opposing player is going to look to exploit.

So far he's making good decisions about when to make those aggressive moves, I just hope that pattern holds true.
All season long in Philly, he could be counted on for good decisions like the ones you refer to. It's not like he does it every game, not nearly that...but he certainly steps up and makes a big difference at times. I think he's learned how to time things, relative to his skills + opportunity...Lord knows it takes defencemen a long time to get it all straight...their best defensive and offensive positioning... in the NHL.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The most disappointing thing about the end to this playoff run.

Ryjo played over 41 regular season games.

He also never played for the Flyers due to injury and never joined their roster.

So based on prior precedent he could have gotten his name on the cup.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
for me he was meh or invisible on most games I saw so I wouldnt mind him back, as long as he is not too expensive. ideally he would be here just for one more season or so anyways, until Gulyayev comes.

Heyduke

Oct 31, 2019
A lot of revisionist history here less than 24 hours after elimination. Walker was brought in to replace Bo Byram for the playoffs. And he did— Byram was playing awful, and Walker played better than him. He didn't play great, but he was an upgrade on what we had, and crucially, we got rid of Ryjo. It was a good trade.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Walker was fine quite frankly. Maybe you would have hoped he could step his game up another level in the playoffs, but he played the role of a solid puck moving 4/5 just fine.

Girard was clearly better though, and for my money easily earned that 2LD spot over Walker next year(Not that it was really a competition realistically, Walker was always a pure rental IMO).

Give Behrens and/or Malinski a good long look next year. Between those two I have hopes one of them will replace the loss of Walker in that similar bottom pairing PMD role.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Walker was fine quite frankly. Maybe you would have hoped he could step his game up another level in the playoffs, but he played the role of a solid puck moving 4/5 just fine.

Girard was clearly better though, and for my money easily earned that 2LD spot over Walker next year(Not that it was really a competition realistically, Walker was always a pure rental IMO).

Give Behrens and/or Malinski a good long look next year. Between those two I have hopes one of them will replace the loss of Walker in that similar bottom pairing PMD role.
Yeah I think Walker was fine. He's a plus if he's on your 3rd pair but on a 2nd pair he's a lower level guy. In the end I don't think he's worth bringing back though.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I’m ultimately good with the trade. We had to get out of that RyJo contract and Walker wasn’t horrible but he didn’t add much to the team. I wouldn’t bring Walker back but I can’t be mad at this trade.

Reactions: The Moops

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I’m totally okay with the trade, it’s unfortunate the results were not what we were hoping for. Walker was a bit more of a defensive liability than expected and JJ wasn’t nearly good enough to cover for him.

Also, for a guy who plays a hard-nosed, fast, aggressive game, he sure did lose a lot of puck battles in the defensive zone. At least twice in this series he coughed up the puck in the corner and it led to a deflected point shot past Georgiev both times.

He won’t be back. Probably needs to be in a more conservative system like he had in LA and Philly to shore up his weaknesses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad