Confirmed with Link: Avs trade Conditional '25 1st + Ryan Johansen to Philly for Sean Walker + '26 5th

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yes I've openly despised the Avs' PK for decades now (I swear it feels like it's ALWAYS been shit, even when notable PK wizards like Ryan O'Reilly were on it) and even the new system they put in place is way, way too passive. Still does absolutely nothing to pressure puck carriers, box anyone out, or--most importantly--disrupt passing lanes. And as I've said before, making the defensemen hover around the goalposts instead of charging into the corners and along the boards like they should means the defensemen used HAVE to be very good skaters. Slow, lumbering types like EJ and Manson (and especially JMFJ) struggle mightily in this scheme. So not only is it a bad scheme, it forces Bednar and Pratt to rely even more on the top pairing. And it's clear Bednar would much rather use his third pairing guys, but he knows he can't.

And I'll die on this hill: Ryan Graves was a FAR better penalty killer when they sent him out there early on, he just went into the corners, knocked guys down, and cleared the puck. But at some point they told him, no, you have to stand there and block shots, and that completely ruined him.

So that said, they're obviously not gonna change the scheme now, so they needed to add more speed and hockey sense to the blueline. Walker IIRC has plenty of PK experience and not only has speed and skill, he plays with enough edge that I think he'll win the puck battles necessary to gain possession and clear it effectively.

Anyway, that post got away from me for a bit...nothing new there though.

tl;dr - Avs PK sucks, but Walker doesn't, and should fit the scheme much better than other depth defenders they have.
Seek you, the Hill of Death ?

1710333344797.png

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I think Flyers wanted it because more value in their eyes
A lot of people naturally lauded CMac for keeping our 1st this year (and sending PHI the 2025 pick), but I think that’s just what PHI wanted.

Regardless, getting Walker and ridding ourselves of RyJo was well worth it. Hopefully we can re-sign Walker somehow as he’s perfect for us.

I’m still hoping we trade the 2024 1st before the draft though - please dear hockey gods convince Sid to want out and him have an unnatural affinity for the Colorado River.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
A lot of people naturally lauded CMac for keeping our 1st this year (and sending PHI the 2025 pick), but I think that’s just what PHI wanted.

Regardless, getting Walker and ridding ourselves of RyJo was well worth it. Hopefully we can re-sign Walker somehow as he’s perfect for us.

I’m still hoping we trade the 2024 1st before the draft though - please dear hockey gods convince Sid to want out and him have an unnatural affinity for the Colorado River.
The time for that has come and gone.

It was setup perfectly for the pengooins to make the realization that they weren't going to be contenders this year and still have Crosby with 1.5 years on his contract be an amazing #2C for the Avs for this year and next. After all, the Avs had a big giant hole at #2C - still had Bo Byram which they probably could have even offered for the chance to have Sid & Mack play on the same team.

After that - Sid could even re-sign with Pittsburgh if that's what he really wanted to do.

The Avs went another direction and gave up a pretty big piece to fill that #2C slot, so now this 'dream' is dead. I don't really care how many 'sad' interviews Crosby gives the media about playing on a non-playoff team - the decision to make this move AND help Pittsburgh rebuild in the process tremendously was never made due to lack of foresight - so enjoy the futility, Pittsburgh! If a team featuring Crosby, Malkin, E.Karlsson, Letang & (previously) Guentzel can't get into the playoffs then your franchise is slowly circling the drain.

With 3 Cups already, I think most of those guys are ok with that - which is probably what the problem is to begin with.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Wow! Is this guy a great fit or what? Offer him a fair contract and he will sign it in a heartbeat You can tell he is having fun here. He is finally on a winning team...he is not going to want to leave. There is no way the Avs gave up a 1st for him to just use him as a rental. It is the Manson trade all over again. I am convinced Manson is a gonner. The only issue I have with that is our top-4 D would be a bit small. But OMG they would be move the puck well.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Someone needs to tell Manson to reel it in and that he's not prime Erik Karlsson. Holy f*** was he bad last night. Way too much jumping up, stickhandling, pinching in deep. Just play simple dude we have like 4 other guys that can move the puck back there we don't need you for that.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Someone needs to tell Manson to reel it in and that he's not prime Erik Karlsson. Holy f*** was he bad last night. Way too much jumping up, stickhandling, pinching in deep. Just play simple dude we have like 4 other guys that can move the puck back there we don't need you for that.

Hopefully he and JJ realize this and play like they did in '22

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
The time for that has come and gone.

It was setup perfectly for the pengooins to make the realization that they weren't going to be contenders this year and still have Crosby with 1.5 years on his contract be an amazing #2C for the Avs for this year and next. After all, the Avs had a big giant hole at #2C - still had Bo Byram which they probably could have even offered for the chance to have Sid & Mack play on the same team.

After that - Sid could even re-sign with Pittsburgh if that's what he really wanted to do.

The Avs went another direction and gave up a pretty big piece to fill that #2C slot, so now this 'dream' is dead. I don't really care how many 'sad' interviews Crosby gives the media about playing on a non-playoff team - the decision to make this move AND help Pittsburgh rebuild in the process tremendously was never made due to lack of foresight - so enjoy the futility, Pittsburgh! If a team featuring Crosby, Malkin, E.Karlsson, Letang & (previously) Guentzel can't get into the playoffs then your franchise is slowly circling the drain.

With 3 Cups already, I think most of those guys are ok with that - which is probably what the problem is to begin with.
I disagree that the Crosby dream is dead. Would it have been the best option for both the Avs and Pens to have done a deal while Crosby had 1.5 years left on his deal? Yes. Was Bo the best return the Pens could’ve gotten for Sid? Also yes.

But that doesn’t mean it’s no longer a possibility (and in fact it may be more likely than ever now if Sid actually wants out - not saying it’s likely to happen though). If Sid does want out and wants to play for us - you find a way to make it work. There’s no reason we couldn’t run MacK-Crosby-Mitts down the middle, giving us the best/deepest center group in the league (and possibly ever). We also could put Crosby on MacK’s wing (imagine the possibilities there Crosby-MacK-Nuke/Rants/Lehk).

Now, as for acquisition cost, the Pens/Sid’s delay cost them assets (whether Bo or someone/something else better than what they’ll get). For a 36yo Crosby with 1yr left on his deal (and who can also pick his new team), this is what the offer should look like:

2024 1st + Gulyayev + Colton/Logan O’Connor/Miles Wood (possibly 2 of those guys)

for

Crosby (@ 50%).

That’s certainly not Sid’s actual value and takes into the reality of the situation. At the same time, it’s a lot to give up for a rental, but I do think that if we trade for Sid, we’d get him to re-sign on a 1-3 year deal.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It would be one thing for me if his body was breaking down and he sucked but he was trying.

The fact is, there are still seconds in every odd game where he gives a f*** and shows he can still play.

For me, it boils down to this: He gave no effort, I give no pity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad