Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Yakupov

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Imo, poor IQ, and puckhandling, has been the two things that have stood out the most to me about this team the last 10 years. Fast, good shot, rec project doesn't do it for me. I'm tired of watching the same things (not) happen on the ice year after year. We change coaching staffs, but the same problems are always there, as long as the FO and pro scouts don't change much. Don't like this deal much.
If it has been a problem for you in the last ten years with multiple coaching staffs, then it doesn't come down to random depth signings like this one. It's a problem with the core players, which is why I personally want one or two of them traded.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I see no reason that this is a problem. Avs getting lambasted in the main thread. But what difference does it make. At least he is young and can skate. Try it for a year. No risk. Potential to improve. If all he does is find open space and hit one timers on the PP it would be a vast improvement over what we had.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I personally am delighted at the amount of rage this seems to have spawned on the main board.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Haha I was saying this a few days ago. Why not try him for a year. We aint going anywhere next season anyways.

Exactly. Much rather this and another young project on D than Rene Bourque and Fedor Tyutin. Couldn't flip those guys at the deadline anyways.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Why is everyone pissing and moaning about this signing? Signed for less than a million, on the only roster who can afford to give him some patience and quality ice time.

I think it's a fantastic, low-risk high-reward deal for both teams. If it doesn't work out, literally who cares.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
I personally am delighted at the amount of rage this seems to have spawned on the main board.
I'm pretty sure at this point, any move the avs make spawns ridiculous outrage on the main boards

For whatever reason, signing a backup goalie did.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I prefer this over signing older vets. Just have zero expectations for him and it'll be fine.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I really like this now that I see the $$$ and term. I want to see a couple more of these mimimal risk-possible reward signings, and then some College/Junior/Euro UFA fliers to round out SAR and the overall depth.

I think you need to insulate Yak early with some stronger 2 way forwards so he can initially start with the 1 singular focus of scoring (think a less annoying Iginla blue line floater role). Get his confidence up a bit and then start trying to get him to round out his awareness elsewhere on the ice.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm going to make a bold prediction and claim that he scores 25 goals next season IF he doesn't end up in Bednar's doghouse. Given how easy it is for Bednar to turn on a player, I hope it doesn't happen.

That said, just go into the season with literally zero expectations with him. Don't expect him to resemble a 1st overall pick because he clearly won't.

He's going to work his ass off. He's going to hit players. He's going to shoot a ton. He's going to pass the puck very hard. He's going to block shots, or at least attempt to (thanks, Dallas Eakins, for trying to turn him into Leo Komarov).

However, he's going to be lost defensively. Hell, he might even be lost offensively in the zone. There are going to be times when he tries to go 1v5 and we'll all want to break our screens upon seeing the inevitable turnover at the blue-line. He's going to whiff on about 70% of his one-timer opportunities.

You take the good with the bad and hope he can put it all together. Honestly, he's been doomed by having extremely strict coaches throughout his career. First Eakins, then Todd McLellan, then Ken Hitchcock, and finally Mike Yeo. Will Bednar be different? I don't know, but to me, a player like Yakupov needs to have some freedom out there. He needs to be afforded the opportunity to make mistakes and be given top-6 time to prove that he can score.

Don't get me wrong, if he makes mistakes all the time without offsetting production then by all means, scratch/demote him. But give him time, Bednar. Don't play him for a couple of games in the top-6 then give him 4th line minutes or healthy scratch him for a week-plus. That'll kill his season.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
This is how I envision Yakupov will score 30 goals at minimum next season:

MacKinnon breaks through the middle and reaches the offensive blue line. He will then buttonhook and set up for a pass. Meanwhile, Yakupov has taken an aimless wide receiver route into the offensive zone. There's no man coverage on him because nobody expected him to wander around so badly out of position. MacKinnon will thread a pass to Yakupov who'll find the puck on his stick and put it into an empty net.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
If they put him with a decent passer like Compher and just tells him to go to the far side, he should get 15-20 goals playing a third line if he gets a little bit of PP time. He's got a great release. Just struggles with getting into shooting situations.

No one mentions the hand eye coordination which he has perfected and celebrations will make Dutchy a happy camper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQCMi3rnFS0

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
This is how I envision Yakupov will score 30 goals at minimum next season:

MacKinnon breaks through the middle and reaches the offensive blue line. He will then buttonhook and set up for a pass. Meanwhile, Yakupov has taken an aimless wide receiver route into the offensive zone. There's no man coverage on him because nobody expected him to wander around so badly out of position. MacKinnon will thread a pass to Yakupov who'll find the puck on his stick and put it into an empty net.

I believe Kenny Wu popularized this move on the film D2.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If we could convince him to settle on a two year deal, he'd actually be a decent addition. Would be a true PPQB, and him feeding MacK on the left circle, and Yak on the right would be pretty sweet.

That goes totally against the tank mentality though. You guys are ruining this with logic lol.

I just can't get over looking at our left side and thinking something is left undone there, but I didn't think we needed more forwards either.

I was including Greer on the NHL roaster but not Grimaldi as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00