Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Yakupov

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Very well. He works hard, skates fast, will dump the puck in.

Well forget what I said about MacK and him having chemistry then. Can you imagine how pissed MacK is going to get at him for dumping the puck in?

He gets from point A to point B in a hurry but he's not a great overall skater. Faster than he's agile. Really wonky stride as well. As if he's being startled by someone with a cattle prod when he gets going.

Do not read HF while taking a drink of your coffee... :rant:

LOL

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yak played 40 games for the Blues, they just scratched him a bunch, no?

Yeah, sometimes week at a time. But they were always going for the playoffs and have the top players in all positions except at centre.

He's going to be given a much better chance here. And people might obviously disagree with me, but Avs last season wasn't really a disaster because of poor IQ, more in terms of laziness (even though I admit decision making was one of the top causes as well). Yakupov is dumb so don't get me wrong, but at least he competes which can't be said for majority of our top 9. I don't think a 15 to 20 goal season is unrealistic, as I said earlier, he's probably going to be given a better opportunity to succeed here with maybe some powerplay time.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Duchene (and really this whole team) could use a good finisher, even if he is flawed.

But, then again, there's got to be a reason nobody else has been able to pair him with a playmaker and get him going. Seems he has the tools.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yea, he actually has all the tools to be a very good offensive player, just doesn't have the hockey sense. From what I've read on him, he actually has a high work ethic and tries hard. He just doesn't have a lot of smarts. I think pairing him with Landy and Jost would actually be really good, two guys that also work hard, but have decent hockey sense.

Kind of the Martin Frk to MacK & Drouin?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A Landy-JTC-Yak line might actually work. Workers with physicality and some scoring punch.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
We didn't need more forwards but ok

That is true...hmmm I wonder if Sakic is building a 'behind the scenes - nuclear approach'...take everyone by surprise and trade both Duchene and Lando like the Flyers did with Richards and Carter.

Here are our forwards for next year, WITHOUT Duchene or Landeskog :

Andrighetto-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Wilson-Jost-Yakupov
Greer-Compher-Grimaldi
Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau
Colborne

:dunno:

Colborne is the one they really should be trying to move. Using the AHL as the org garbage can isn't a viable strategy.

But sure, Yak is fine. Low cost for one year of amusement.

They should but I'm not sure they find any takers. Calgary maybe?

The AHL 'as a garbage can' isn't a strategy but is sometimes needed. it didn't seem to affect the Marlies too much having Brooks Laich on their team. Sometimes it's necessary.

Unfortunately, Calgary actually bought out the guy I wanted to trade Colborne back there for. (Bouma) Money would have been about the same and we would have gotten a real 4th liner instead with just the 1 year left on his deal.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Duchene (and really this whole team) could use a good finisher, even if he is flawed.

But, then again, there's got to be a reason nobody else has been able to pair him with a playmaker and get him going. Seems he has the tools.

From what i remember , other than the good rookie year he had, he played super well with Derek Roy

so yeah he needs a semi decent to good playmaker, i have no idea where he fits in ...with Duchene..if he's still here which it looks like he will

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
All I know is that he can't be any worse than Iggy in terms of being spoon-fed on the PP and still managing to barely score. That plus our new assistant coach and hopefully at least one of Jost/JTC/Greer on the PP means that it's not a 29th-31st PP in the league.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Greer and Grimaldi shouldn't be given NHL spots... IMO Greer should start in the AHL regardless. The you are just couple injuries from calling up Vogelhuber... this team needs forwards still. ~3 more fringe types would be ideal. Guys who'd be okay in the AHL, but wouldn't be totally out of place if needed in the NHL.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I really like this signing. I think the on ice stupidity of yak and Duchene will somehow click. Duchene loves to lug the puck to random places that confuse many players. Yak knows this game...

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
So the guy we were supposed to lose cause we traded for Varly , we ended up getting anyway lol

im not expecting anything tbh, its a one year deal, he's here till he gets replaced
if he does well him and his agent are gonna want alot more years and unless he tears it up
consistenly from beginning to end i have serious doubts doing that

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
So the guy we were supposed to lose cause we traded for Varly , we ended up getting anyway lol

im not expecting anything tbh, its a one year deal, he's here till he gets replaced
if he does well him and his agent are gonna want alot more years and unless he tears it up
consistenly from beginning to end i have serious doubts doing that

Too bad it's not the guy we actually lost.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Yakupov sucks but he's at least an entertaining player to have on the team and the Avs are going to be awful so might as well have some funny guys on the team.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If they put him with a decent passer like Compher and just tells him to go to the far side, he should get 15-20 goals playing a third line if he gets a little bit of PP time. He's got a great release. Just struggles with getting into shooting situations.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Greer and Grimaldi shouldn't be given NHL spots... IMO Greer should start in the AHL regardless. The you are just couple injuries from calling up Vogelhuber... this team needs forwards still. ~3 more fringe types would be ideal. Guys who'd be okay in the AHL, but wouldn't be totally out of place if needed in the NHL.

They signed Aggz too, and I liked him on our 4th line. I'd actually take his speed and tenacity over Sodasnooze today. Aggz wasn't doing too bad defensively if I remember correctly either.

Not that they don't need more, but I think he'd probably get a call before Voge.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I'm excited but also cautious. I never really wanted him but don't mind having him. If it means less Colborne or Comeau then great but if it means less Greer or some other prospect then not so great.

Also this poor guy lol, he never gets the right coach for him. This time he probably had some level of choice and willingly came to play under Jared Bednar who isn't a good fit for him (or most players but I'm confident not him). I hope he gets a good new coach that he can play with if Bednar doesn't work out by December. Also picking the Avs as basically your last chance to stick in the NHL....bold move, I would've gone to Vegas.

I think Greer definitely starts in SA now.

Which I think he should. No point rushing anyone.

875k per friedman

1 year, can be sent to AHL with no penalty, tons of contracts still to give out, I don't see a problem with this at all.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Yeah, sometimes week at a time. But they were always going for the playoffs and have the top players in all positions except at centre.

He's going to be given a much better chance here. And people might obviously disagree with me, but Avs last season wasn't really a disaster because of poor IQ, more in terms of laziness (even though I admit decision making was one of the top causes as well). Yakupov is dumb so don't get me wrong, but at least he competes which can't be said for majority of our top 9. I don't think a 15 to 20 goal season is unrealistic, as I said earlier, he's probably going to be given a better opportunity to succeed here with maybe some powerplay time.

Imo, poor IQ, and puckhandling, has been the two things that have stood out the most to me about this team the last 10 years. Fast, good shot, rec project doesn't do it for me. I'm tired of watching the same things (not) happen on the ice year after year. We change coaching staffs, but the same problems are always there, as long as the FO and pro scouts don't change much. Don't like this deal much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad