Confirmed with Link: Avs sign F Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($1.8m AAV x 2y)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Signing 4th liners in free agency is dumb. A clear sign you can’t develop players.

Ehhh I used to believe this but developing a 4th line guy isn't quite as easy as we'd all like to think. And even really good teams will make depth signings like this. It's a bit of an overpay but really nothing that's going to kill their cap situation or clog up the depth chart. They get a guy who can play wing or center who can eat up major minutes on the PK and win faceoffs. That's what you want out of a 4th liner.

Again, I really would've loved for them to have developed a guy like Toninato properly but in the end, 4th line guys like this are pretty easy to find, so this addresses a pretty major need for relatively little cost.

Reactions: Murzu

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Yup... it may not be the correct or right way to go about it, but it seems 4th liners are usually bought. Unless they are a pure character/role sort of guy. Then everybody hates how long they stick around (McLeod).
I don't see the problem with using our cap space for it short term. Obviously an awful idea of you are Tampa or Vegas.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Something I'm legit curious on and I don't know the answer, but how many 4th liners are really homegrown? You get the Paquettes from time to time, but a lot of times if a guy can't be a top 9 option, teams seem to move on.
Bruins just rolled out a 4th line with guys they developed in the AHL. Same with the Blues and the Sharks. Maybe not the most frequent thing but it’s done.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't see the problem with using our cap space for it short term. Obviously an awful idea of you are Tampa or Vegas.

As long as it doesn't hinder re-signings, these moves are fine. Where this deal has issues is it is 500k too much. Combine that with (a touch) too much on Donskoi. Too much on Cole and Calvert next year. You suddenly have 1.5-2.0m less cap room in 20-21. My only real issue with this deal is it is 500k per too much.

Reactions: Murzu and madman

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Bruins just rolled out a 4th line with guys they developed in the AHL. Same with the Blues and the Sharks. Maybe not the most frequent thing but it’s done.

Nordstrom wasn't, but I see what you are saying. I just don't think it is all that common to develop and have 4th liners stick like that. You sign the cheap depth and the disappointments get cut. Maybe not the right path, but happens. Hell, Boston saw Acciari leave today because it wasn't worth keeping him.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
As long as it doesn't hinder re-signings, these moves are fine. Where this deal has issues is it is 500k too much. Combine that with (a touch) too much on Donskoi. Too much on Cole and Calvert next year. You suddenly have 1.5-2.0m less cap room in 20-21. My only real issue with this deal is it is 500k per too much.
Yeah, but I think their reasoning is that they can afford to pay it now, but are careful about term. It wonder hinder re-signings I think.

And if fans aren't worried about the big contracts cause "you can always move them somehow" then you shouldn't be worried about these small ones.

Reactions: Murzu and klozge

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I wanted to sign him from Europe like six years ago. He is absolutely adored for his character and teams love having him around their kids.

We seemed dead set on signing a veteran 4th centre, but I don't like this signing.

He is 34, it's 2 years and coaches have a history of falling in love with Bellemare, overplaying him way too much taking time away from better players cause they love the man.
Who are these "better players" who are going to lose ice time to a fourth line center?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad