Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Mikko Rantanen (6 years, $9.25M AAV)

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Yeah I see where they even think Kerfoot will be better and will have better wingers on their 3rd line than Kadri will here. Have they looked at their bottom 2 lines, they gottta be in the bottom of the league with that junk :laugh:. What a desperate and dilusional fan base.

Their roster screams 1st round exit. If they don’t get the one seed in the Atlantic, they’re guaranteed to get bounced by the Lightning or Bruins.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Toronto's forward group is overrated, but I love the Defense they've put together at least for this season.

Rielly is a Top 10 Dman in the league. Barrie is a legit #2, Muzzin is a very good #3 if he's not also a legit #2. And then you've got Sandin who I really think will turn some heads this year, and Dermott who's an underrated guy as well. And finally you have Ceci as a 5/6 who's overpaid for what he brings but I think he'll do quite well in that lesser role in Toronto, so long as the pressure of the city doesn't get to him.

The problem for Toronto is they cant afford to keep that Defense together beyond this one season. They dont have the cap space to bring back both Muzzin and Barrie beyond this year, and besides Sandin they dont have much in the system on the back end anymore either(Liljegren is very close to bust territory for me, I dont like his game at all).

And up front they've spent so much money on 4 guys that they're being forced to essentially get minimum salary guys who are below replacement level to fill out the bottom 6 spots. And while you certainly need your superstars to win in hockey, its also a sport that way more then any other sport you need quality role players as well. Your 3rd and 4th line guys are playing anywhere from 8-15 minutes a night come playoff time and if you have below replacement level guys playing those minutes due to salary cap situations, you're going to run into problems fast in a 7 games series. Toronto has seen this happen twice now.

If they dont get the #1 Seed in the Atlantic they're a 1st round exit again. Even as the #1 Seed, I think the Leafs are a team that can be beaten by any other playoff team over a 7 game series once you can scout out the weak points down the depth of that lineup.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Toronto's forward group is overrated, but I love the Defense they've put together at least for this season.

Rielly is a Top 10 Dman in the league. Barrie is a legit #2, Muzzin is a very good #3 if he's not also a legit #2. And then you've got Sandin who I really think will turn some heads this year, and Dermott who's an underrated guy as well. And finally you have Ceci as a 5/6 who's overpaid for what he brings but I think he'll do quite well in that lesser role in Toronto, so long as the pressure of the city doesn't get to him.

The problem for Toronto is they cant afford to keep that Defense together beyond this one season. They dont have the cap space to bring back both Muzzin and Barrie beyond this year, and besides Sandin they dont have much in the system on the back end anymore either(Liljegren is very close to bust territory for me, I dont like his game at all).

And up front they've spent so much money on 4 guys that they're being forced to essentially get minimum salary guys who are below replacement level to fill out the bottom 6 spots. And while you certainly need your superstars to win in hockey, its also a sport that way more then any other sport you need quality role players as well. Your 3rd and 4th line guys are playing anywhere from 8-15 minutes a night come playoff time and if you have below replacement level guys playing those minutes due to salary cap situations, you're going to run into problems fast in a 7 games series. Toronto has seen this happen twice now.

If they dont get the #1 Seed in the Atlantic they're a 1st round exit again. Even as the #1 Seed, I think the Leafs are a team that can be beaten by any other playoff team over a 7 game series once you can scout out the weak points down the depth of that lineup.

Except that Ceci is currently on the top pair with Rielly. We know personally Barrie is not strong defensively and Marincin is really not great. Their right side is very weak imo.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Toronto fans really do seem to be wayyyyyy overvaluing their roster, and are in for a big disappointment. This a team with Kerfoot playing a pivotal role, a totally unproven bottom 6 outside of Gautier being a legit marginal 4th liner., Cody freaking Ceci playing top 4 minutes, an unproven bottom pair, and a backup goalie who is likely one bad season away from never playing in the NHL again. A few injuries to almost any of their key players and they could be going for a tumble down the standings. They're not going to be able to outscore all their issues.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Lots of Toronto talk here.

As a more neutral Swede I like Toronto. One of the most classical hockey cities/teams in the world, all time. I think it's an important city for hockey in general. They have failed so many years (in my entire life) and I would love them succeeding but not against Colorado, of course not. Toronto had Salming and Sundin, two of the best Swedes all time, both failing to win the cup which is hurting me.

They did well in signing Barrie but Kerfoot is questionable, also I wish they will regret giving away Rosén.

We will see how much the Auston Matthews drama will affect them, it's not optimal, that's for sure. I assume he was really f*cking drunk out of his mind and this could actually be a warning sign. Being drunk, we have all been that but exceeding the limit and blowing your head off is not optimal for a top athlete like Matthews being a star for Toronto Maple Leafs, it is a huge f*cking failure (making a fool of himself).

Last edited:

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Toronto fans really do seem to be wayyyyyy overvaluing their roster, and are in for a big disappointment. This a team with Kerfoot playing a pivotal role, a totally unproven bottom 6 outside of Gautier being a legit marginal 4th liner., Cody freaking Ceci playing top 4 minutes, an unproven bottom pair, and a backup goalie who is likely one bad season away from never playing in the NHL again. A few injuries to almost any of their key players and they could be going for a tumble down the standings. They're not going to be able to outscore all their issues.
Agreed

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Lots of Toronto talk here.

As a more neutral Swede I like Toronto. One of the most classical hockey cities/teams in the world, all time. I think it's an important city for hockey in general. They have failed so many years (in my entire life) and I would love them succeeding but not against Colorado, of course not. Toronto had Salming and Sundin, two of the best Swedes all time, both failing to win the cup which is hurting me.

They did well in signing Barrie but Kerfoot is questionable, also I wish they will regret giving away Rosén.

We will see how much the Auston Matthews drama will affect them, it's not optimal, that's for sure. I assume he was really f*cking drunk out of his mind and this could actually be a warning sign. Being drunk, we have all been that but exceeding the limit and blowing your head off is not optimal for a top athlete like Matthews being a star for Toronto Maple Leafs, it is a huge f*cking failure (making a fool of himself).

Toronto is my original hometown and my 3rd favorite team. I probably consume as much Leafs media as Avs media, so my view on them being overrated is certainly not based on any dislike of the team or the city. I honestly hope they win a cup before too long because that fanbase needs and deserves it with some of the crap they've endured.

Reactions: 21

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
OT: When Mats Sundin was asked about the best players he played with during his entire career he included Joe Sakic.
Här tar Mats Sundin ut de 5 bästa han spelat med

also I found this quote (translated to english by me...) from Sundin about Sakic in another article:
"- I played a lot on the right side the first time in Quebec with Joe Sakic. I remember Joe said, I have missed the playoffs many seasons in a row, that it was fun that I got there so he finally got someone to play with. It was a bit of fun actually."
Legendaren som fortfarande är enda svenska draftettan – Old School Hockey Mats Sundin - Hockeysverige

End of OT

Last edited:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Lots of Toronto talk here...I wish they will regret giving away Rosén.

Here's what I don't understand but I don't follow TML. You've been a huge fan of Rosen. The thing is, from what little I saw of Rosen in pre-season he didn't look out of place at all. And I didn't view Rosen as a bottom pairing scrub either. I think the Avs played him on his off-side so if he can play both R and L then all the better. And his passing was terrific and his D was good. To me, I saw possible middle pairing D-man. Not as physical as Zadorov but Rosen would ease the sting of losing Zadorov.

Maybe TML could afford to let Rosen go but after having endured years of subpar Avs defense, I've a difficult time seeing how TML could do so when they are going to have all of these cap issues. Someone else wrote TML had a lot of depth and Rosen was essentially dispensable. If Rosen is the caliber of D-man that TML views as excess then more power to Sakic for having snagged him.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Here's what I don't understand but I don't follow TML. You've been a huge fan of Rosen. The thing is, from what little I saw of Rosen in pre-season he didn't look out of place at all. And I didn't view Rosen as a bottom pairing scrub either. I think the Avs played him on his off-side so if he can play both R and L then all the better. And his passing was terrific and his D was good. To me, I saw possible middle pairing D-man. Not as physical as Zadorov but Rosen would ease the sting of losing Zadorov.

Maybe TML could afford to let Rosen go but after having endured years of subpar Avs defense, I've a difficult time seeing how TML could do so when they are going to have all of these cap issues. Someone else wrote TML had a lot of depth and Rosen was essentially dispensable. If Rosen is the caliber of D-man that TML views as excess then more power to Sakic for having snagged him.

What I heard is Rosen was not a Babcock guy and so was never really going to be given an opportunity. Babcock has a long history of deciding he doesn't like players and then just never really playing them. Josh Lievo was an example of that. Justin Holl too.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
What I heard is Rosen was not a Babcock guy and so was never really going to be given an opportunity. Babcock has a long history of deciding he doesn't like players and then just never really playing them. Josh Lievo was an example of that. Justin Holl too.

I've been too traumatized by the Avs D for many years so I just have a difficult time envisioning how another team, especially one facing major cap issues on D as the TML are in the foreseeable future, can so easily let go of a more than serviceable D-man. If anything, I have a much greater appreciation as to how hard it is to acquire a top 4 D-man. We may deride our scouting staff's ability to draft talent. But if you can steal a top 4 D-man from another team without having to pay a fortune then that works for me.

Reactions: 21 and MarkT

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I've been too traumatized by the Avs D for many years so I just have a difficult time envisioning how another team, especially one facing major cap issues on D as the TML are in the foreseeable future, can so easily let go of a more than serviceable D-man. If anything, I have a much greater appreciation as to how hard it is to acquire a top 4 D-man. We may deride our scouting staff's ability to draft talent. But if you can steal a top 4 D-man from another team without having to pay a fortune then that works for me.

Great post, I can't even count the number of confusing trades made by TML during the the years (they have improved though). :) They wanted Barrie and they had to give up something. Rosén will be interesting to follow even though the competition is really tough for d-men in Colorado right now. Rosén was great offensively in AHL last season scoring almost on a point per game pace but I believe he will be used much more defensively for Colorado. It may not be terrible for him though because it may force him becoming a more complete d-man. Maybe you can say Rosén was a bit of late bloomer and these players are interesting following.

Reactions: flyfysher and MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Great post, I can't even count the number of confusing trades TML during the the years (they have improved though). :) Rosén will be interesting to follow even though the competition is really tough for d-men in Colorado right now. Rosén was great offensively in AHL last season scoring almost on a point per game pace but I believe he will be used much more defensively for Colorado. It may not be terrible for him though because it may force him becoming a more complete d-man.

I like you a lot more as a Rosen fanboy than as a Nemeth fanboy ;)

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I like you a lot more as a Rosen fanboy than as a Nemeth fanboy ;)

I was away on a fishing trip so I didn't see the last preseason game. But when I saw Rosen play in Byram's last game, it was clear to me who was the more polished player. I wanted the Avs to draft Byram and still think it was the right choice at the draft. But to me, Rosen has earned his opportunity and deserves to be in the NHL with Timmins based on his play. Rosen is a heck of a lot more versatile than Nemeth. His breakout pass to Greer in that game was remarkable. It really set the tone because the VGK really press offensively so if you can force them back then that is integral to disrupting their entire strategy. And it plays into JB's transition game well. I loved Nemeth for what he brought. However, there's no comparison between Nemeth and Rosen. And how much are the Avs paying Rosen? As much as I'm glad the Avs acquired Kadri, I'm thinking they have a really nice shiny toy in Rosen.

Reactions: MarkT and 21

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

That's because he's no Roman Polak.

Reactions: MarkT

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
It's strange how Finns eat salted licorice all their lives and don't even think about it. Why don't you other people eat some as well.

Whoooooaaaa there. I was on board with licorice because licorice is delicious. Red licorice, specifically. But SALTED licorice? What the f*** is wrong with Finnish people?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad