Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
McIlrath for Siemens? Maybe change of scenery for both gives them the motivation to stick as 6/7/8.

Rangers would NEVER do it. McIlrath may never be an NHL regular but he still hasn't fallen out of favor with his organization like Duncan has with the Avs. And I think McIlrath will see time in the NHL if for no other reason than he's a frickin' beast.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Rangers would NEVER do it. McIlrath may never be an NHL regular but he still hasn't fallen out of favor with his organization like Duncan has with the Avs. And I think McIlrath will see time in the NHL if for no other reason than he's a frickin' beast.

You think Dunc has fallen out of favor, as in they don't like him anymore? To me, he just seems like a reeeealllllly slow developing prospect who might not be NHL worthy, but I don't think the Avs have given up on him yet. This might just be your choice of words more than anything, though. I think he has to stay healthy and to show something in the AHL this year or he really will fall out of favor, and off the Avs map.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO Siemens doesn't have enough puck skill to be a NHL regular. You can polish a turd as much as you want, in the end it is still a turd. :nod:

McIlrath is kind of the same situation. His puck skills are 10x better than Siemens (says more about Siemens), but he isn't a NHL level skater and never will be.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
IMO Siemens doesn't have enough puck skill to be a NHL regular. You can polish a turd as much as you want, in the end it is still a turd. :nod:

McIlrath is kind of the same situation. His puck skills are 10x better than Siemens (says more about Siemens), but he isn't a NHL level skater and never will be.

OT, but my son is a rock collector.
I was going to buy him a petrified, polished dinosaur turd.
He didn't want it.
Kids these days. :shakehead

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You think Dunc has fallen out of favor, as in they don't like him anymore? To me, he just seems like a reeeealllllly slow developing prospect who might not be NHL worthy, but I don't think the Avs have given up on him yet. This might just be your choice of words more than anything, though. I think he has to stay healthy and to show something in the AHL this year or he really will fall out of favor, and off the Avs map.

He hasn't fallen out of favor as in they're cutting him loose for nothing like they did Hishon, but they didn't seem too worried about possibly losing him on waivers either. I think they're just trying to salvage what they can at this point for a former 11th-overall pick. I think he's gonna have to have a fantastic season in order to turn his fortunes around and I doubt that's gonna happen.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I think they waited a little while to see what type/level of Dmen prospects were being waived and claimed before sending him down.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There wasn't much possibility of losing Dunk the Lunk to waivers.

Not according to many on twitter!

There was almost no chance of Siemens getting claimed. Siemens has no puck skill, no NHL team is going to reserve a spot on their NHL roster for a player like that. They might want to trade for them for their AHL team and put him with their development staff to see if they can make something out of him, but in the NHL... no way.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Siemens has been passed here. His only shot is elsewhere. For everybody's sake, I hope we move him for a similar winger prospect.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not according to many on twitter!

There was almost no chance of Siemens getting claimed. Siemens has no puck skill, no NHL team is going to reserve a spot on their NHL roster for a player like that. They might want to trade for them for their AHL team and put him with their development staff to see if they can make something out of him, but in the NHL... no way.

Watching the general get sent down and show more puck skills in a week than Dunk had in 3 seasons, really killed any hopes I was still clutching onto for Dunk the lunk.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Siemens has been passed here. His only shot is elsewhere. For everybody's sake, I hope we move him for a similar winger prospect.

If we were to move him it would really need to be for another Dman. Preferably a right hand puck mover.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Part Elliott... part of it is you expect players to develop skills. Drafting kids at 17/18 is giving only a glimpse into what they can be. Scouting is an artform.

Looking at Siemens when he was drafted... he was big, mean, a great skater, playing on a top pairing as an underage player, and putting up points. It was figured that his hands would develop enough (and it was thought his first pass was solid... that was probably scheme against Elliott as much as anything though). It didn't happen, and it could be argued that he regressed in those areas.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next-ones-duncan-siemens/

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2010/9/13/1683562/2011-draft-watch-duncan-siemens

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Part Elliott... part of it is you expect players to develop skills. Drafting kids at 17/18 is giving only a glimpse into what they can be. Scouting is an artform.

Looking at Siemens when he was drafted... he was big, mean, a great skater, playing on a top pairing as an underage player, and putting up points. It was figured that his hands would develop enough (and it was thought his first pass was solid... that was probably scheme against Elliott as much as anything though). It didn't happen, and it could be argued that he regressed in those areas.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next-ones-duncan-siemens/

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2010/9/13/1683562/2011-draft-watch-duncan-siemens

Yeah, I am pretty sure a lot of us on here wanted him. I know I was excited about him. He seemed like a big bruising D who could skate. Wasn't that the Ty Rattie draft year as well?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How longmust a team keep a player at the NHL level when they claim him off waiver?

I see 30 days mentioned a lot but I'm not entirely sure that's true. I think it's 30 days if you want to waive them again and hope to keep them down in your org if they go unclaimed. I don't think anything stops a team from waiving their claim as soon as they want. But I haven't dug through the CBA on that.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
How the hell did a guy with puck skills THAT bad get selected that high by Pracey? Did the scouts just not notice because Stefan Elliott was covering for him...?

I questioned this before...not only Pracey but others as well. Siemens has no tools nor a toolbox. Exactly what people saw in him I'll never understand.

Other than being big and can skate 2 strides, while looking like a 40 year old.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
His first pass was good in junior because teams were giving him tons of time & space while they were clamping down on Elliott.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It was 5 years ago, keep in mind. Things are a little different now. All ive read from back then was how dominant physically Duncan was going to be and he scored over 40 points, I guess nobody was too worried about that part.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Goes to show you can't put too much stock in junior stats. Siemens and Elliott were a top-notch WHL pair and neither can cut it even remotely at the NHL level. It's disappointing because we could've slaughtered the EJ-Shattenkirk trade instead of just winning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad