Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Some of those differentials might be a little off, but all in all relatively correct. Between the NHL's site and two different stats sites I use, I came up with three different numbers for how many total penalties MacKinnon has taken in All Situations. Since I can't find an official place the NHL puts penalties drawn I can't just do it off their own numbers, either way it seems to be roughly correct here.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So just to get this straight our team is full of players that choke and are mentally weak. They can never score and are also poorly coached. In short the only worse core of players is on the Oilers. Then there is the goaltending which can only be saved by a 23yo whose experience consists of 31 games in the NHL because our ~6M goalie is also a choker. So why are we not talking about Matthews? Based on all this we should be lined up for him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Defense is mainly on the DMen.

Transition is a poor system.

Offense is on the players, mainly forwards (inconsistent and undermanned talent-wise). Not like it's bad though (just outside top10). Don't need change, just a little more help.

Possession seems like a system issue. Our defensive scheme doesn't seem to put us in a good position to win battles and the passive nature allows for easy cycling. We also seem to play prevent quite early, literally just getting the puck out of the zone and back to the other team. And our poor transition game hurts possession as well.

Offense and possession are trickier when part of the problem is that we don't hold the puck in at the opposing blue line as well as other teams; on top of not cycling as much as other teams or keeping the puck in the ozone with an aggressive forecheck as regularly.

Our Dmen pinch into the play to create overloads aggressively when we're in possession of the puck or when we're still in transition/the other team hasn't settled into their defensive shape in their own zone. But they seem a lot more passive when jumping up to keep loose pucks in. That's why someone like Gormley stuck out so much in a positive way, at least to me, despite not actually creating much offensively and being a complete pushover defensively. He did a nice job of keeping pucks in at the blueline without just leaving it in a corner for the forwards to fight over. Beauch has been a big help in this respect, and often times Bigras is to...I dunno if it's a system thing or if he just doesn't trust his partners the rest of the time, but too often he has seemed to err on the side of caution and abandoned the zone early to get back to clean up defensively like the lackwits in the bottom half of our defensive depth chart.

As though once we can't score on the rush or through a trailer jumping into the play; the dmen other than early-season-Beauch and somtimes Barrie/Bigras, start preparing themselves to get back on defense and just give up the offensive blueline.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Some of those differentials might be a little off, but all in all relatively correct. Between the NHL's site and two different stats sites I use, I came up with three different numbers for how many total penalties MacKinnon has taken in All Situations. Since I can't find an official place the NHL puts penalties drawn I can't just do it off their own numbers, either way it seems to be roughly correct here.

Oh I wasn't criticizing. I appreciate you laying that all out for us. I was just very surprised Tanguay drew enough penalties to be that close to even.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Oh I wasn't criticizing. I appreciate you laying that all out for us. I was just very surprised Tanguay drew enough penalties to be that close to even.

For sure, I was mostly just trying to figure out for myself why it didn't all seem quite right haha.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's why we brought in Boedker, to offset Duchene's power play production, and Duchene can offset his 5v5 production haha.

If we could combine the two we'd have the most dominant streaky player in the league.

For sure, I was mostly just trying to figure out for myself why it didn't all seem quite right haha.

I hear ya :laugh: Thanks again man; primary 5on5 stats are always very interesting to look at.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
what a day for this thread!
busy busy.

For those who "make light" of the posts about being willing to move a major core piece, hopefully you aren't the same posters who often mock the Oilers for not doing that very thing.

As for the earlier 2016-17 cap/roster discussion earlier
I think Roykic will be choosing between some players and trading the loser (or at least trying to).
- Mitchell or Matthias
- Holden or Gelinas (both if they think Zads is truly ready for everyday duty.
- Boedker or what could be with Radulov

Money will be tight, so expect many more PTO/minimum cost fill ins. I do think they set themselves up at the deadline to make this run knowing that cap constraints will most likely make next season mostly an idle year as far as NHL roster turnover.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
For those who "make light" of the posts about being willing to move a major core piece, hopefully you aren't the same posters who often mock the Oilers for not doing that very thing.

They should be trading one of their skilled forwards for a defenseman or a good two-way forward. All of their core players are the same (other than McDavid).

Avs already traded a core player for futures last offseason, which implied they might be patient. Instead, they could trade another core player this offseason if the team fails to make the playoffs. Oh and one of those core players who could be traded? It's just our captain and IMO, the only good two-way player left in the top six since Stastny and O'Reilly are already gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad