Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
My thoughts about Dater's tweet:

I think he is spot on. I think that all 3 of Duchene, Landeskog and Varlamov should be on the hot seat, and I'd also throw in EJ into that mix as well. The fact is these 4 guys have been around for awhile now and they still can't seem to come through in the clutch. And this isn't just a this year issue, this has been an ongoing issue for many years. Our star players just consistently fold in tight games. We are literally the anti-Blackhawks in this category. Their stars come up huge in 3rd periods.

Duchene couldn't put a beach ball in the ocean in a tied game in the 3rd period.

Landeskog appears to be more concerned with his GQ looks, than scoring that gritty goal in a tied game late in the 3rd. I can't recall the last time Landeskog went to the net hard in the 3rd period won a battle and scored an ugly goal. He is a big guy this should happen at least a couple times a month.

Varly can't save anything if it's a key game. The guy looks all world in the middle of the year, now when the games really matter he is consistently giving up 3+ goals.

EJ has just fallen off a cliff this year. Not sure what's going on with him.

I'm almost getting to the point where missing the playoffs this year might be better than making them, because it would force Roy and Sakic to seriously evaluate the status of the team, and basically force them to move a couple of the guys listed above.

My personal preference would be keep Duchene and EJ, move Landeskog and Varly. Landeskog is the captain of a team with a losing culture. This is not his fault but he is a part of it. What better way to send a message to your team that you aren't going to accept losing anymore than moving the guy with the C. It's puts everyone on notice that no one is untouchable and if your not doing your job it could be you. Plus it gives us the opportunity to start fresh with someone else leading the team. And Varly just needs to go, we can't have a guy that tucks his tail in big moments playing the most important position on the ice. It's just not going to work.

I keep Duchene, because I find it hard to think you'd get fair value for your best forward. And he is our best forward despite his mental issues. And trading EJ makes our defense look like vomit.

Honestly, I think Roy is straight up embarrassed by his team at the moment, the guy is like John Elway in the sense that he can't stand losing. And at this moment his players seem awfully comfortable with losing. Heads are going to roll if we miss the playoffs this season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's also possible that Dater was given that information right from the main source itself.

Here we are fighting for a playoff spot after Sakic just traded for a rental. If we miss the playoffs he's not going to be looking so brilliant in the minds of most people. We remember what happened the last time trade rumors were brought up about Matt Duchene.

This franchise needs to make the playoffs. These players need to make the playoffs. This management group need to make the playoffs. I would not be surprised one little bit if Sakic directly leaked that information to dater to light a fire under his two most important skaters.

P.S. With Dater's little tidbit, along with the pride that Duchene has in both competing for the Avalanche and his country I honestly expect to see the best hockey of Dutchy's career over the next 17 games. A playoff berth and spot on Canada's world cup team is on the line. I expect him to be super Dutchy. If things don't go his way though he could come down on himself harder than ever.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yes, that makes sense. However if we're blindly believing Dater the first two their looking at trading is Duchene and Landeskog.

Unless Dater just expects us to remember the Varly rumors as well, and assumes we'd all just know it would be Duchene, Varly, THEN Landeskog.

You won't want to believe it, but Dater has legitimate sources in the Avs organization. It's fine if you are skeptical to my above statement--but I know it to be true.

I think Landeskog would be considered for moving (and that's something I would NOT want at any circumstances--I would sooner trade Duchene than him, but that's just me, and I expect I'll be in the minority on that), but their greater return would come from Duchene, and Varlamov would be looked at if they believe in Pickard (and that "believe in" would come if he plays stellar down the stretch) and if they get a good/great return for him.

None of these are moves I'd WANT to see happen, but rather moves I can SEE happening if they fail to get in again.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Landeskog appears to be more concerned with his GQ looks, than scoring that gritty goal in a tied game late in the 3rd.
giphy.gif

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
The return on Duchene would be much better than the return on Landeskog. For that reason alone you trade Duchene.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
The return on Duchene would be much better than the return on Landeskog. For that reason alone you trade Duchene.

No the reason you trade Duchene over Landy is because of Mackinnon. We don't have anyone else like Landy left. Not saying Mack is better than Duchene at the moment.....but if you take the gamble, you are saying that you think Mack has a higher ceiling and a better chance of hitting that ceiling. That's my 2 cents of course.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I don't think it is "make the playoffs or else", i think it is more about their attitude that Sakic and Roy will be looking at.

If they battle hard, and the top players are leading the way during these final weeks, leaving everything they have on the ice, even if they don't make it, Sakic may hold on to this core.

If the top guys don't show up, i would be surprised if Sakic doesn't move one of them.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Prove me wrong. Name the last time Landy went to the net hard in the 3rd period of a tied game and scored an ugly goal.

Sorry you all are in love with Landy, but I'm going to call it how I see it. The guy hasn't played a hard nose game since his rookie season. Remember his rookie year and Viking mode as we liked to call it. Well Viking mode has failed to exist for a good 4 years now. He'd rather play a pretty boy finesse game with the occasional power forward move.

15 lousy goals playing top line and top PP minutes basically all season is absolutely pathetic for guy of his size and strength.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I don't think it is "make the playoffs or else", i think it is more about their attitude that Sakic and Roy will be looking at.

If they battle hard, and the top players are leading the way during these final weeks, leaving everything they have on the ice, even if they don't make it, Sakic may hold on to this core.

If the top guys don't show up, i would be surprised if Sakic doesn't move one of them.

I think this is a great perspective that may well have a lot of truth to it. They bring in some guys, especially a legitimate top 6 winger, and say here we go boys, lets make the playoffs. Now they get to see who is really pushing and is all in and if they don't like what they see out of some guys, those are the guys who might be on the block over this offseason.

It's possible they all play some of their best hockey but they still miss, which might keep the core together, but even then who knows if the right trade partner comes knocking. Nobody should be surprised if there's a big move this offseason (if they miss). I think if they get in, nothing really changes with the core guys.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Chet could write for the DP.

Sorry I'm sick of losing with the same guys every year. Heaven forbid I agree with Dater. And even more so I'm sorry I said anything bad about the golden untouchable Gabe Landeskog. Or even worse say we should trade him.

Seriously what the hell? Why does Landeskog always get a free pass from everyone on these boards. His play this year has been beyond garbage.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Prove me wrong. Name the last time Landy went to the net hard in the 3rd period of a tied game and scored an ugly goal.

Sorry you all are in love with Landy, but I'm going to call it how I see it. The guy hasn't played a hard nose game since his rookie season. Remember his rookie year and Viking mode as we liked to call it. Well Viking mode has failed to exist for a good 4 years now. He'd rather play a pretty boy finesse game with the occasional power forward move.

15 lousy goals playing top line and top PP minutes basically all season is absolutely pathetic for guy of his size and strength.

Damn it chet, you got me in trouble at work. Well done, I literally laughed out loud at this. I can't totally picture the denver media printing some garbage like this.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You won't want to believe it, but Dater has legitimate sources in the Avs organization. It's fine if you are skeptical to my above statement--but I know it to be true.

I think Landeskog would be considered for moving (and that's something I would NOT want at any circumstances--I would sooner trade Duchene than him, but that's just me, and I expect I'll be in the minority on that), but their greater return would come from Duchene, and Varlamov would be looked at if they believe in Pickard (and that "believe in" would come if he plays stellar down the stretch) and if they get a good/great return for him.

None of these are moves I'd WANT to see happen, but rather moves I can SEE happening if they fail to get in again.

I know he has sources, and I know you have to at least take a painful look at the things he says sometimes. But we should all know well enough that he has mixed his own satire with the rumors he hears as well. He's the classic story teller who exaggerates on the stories he hears and tries his best to make it even more than what it was.

We can't just forget that because he was damn accurate at the trade deadline, and some breaks hes had in the past.

Hes absolutely great when he sticks to the facts, but he'll hear things and draw up his own conclusions that have a heavy influence on how he reports them.

I'm just not willing to take what he says with stuff like this at purely face value.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Damn it chet, you got me in trouble at work. Well done, I literally laughed out loud at this. I can't totally picture the denver media printing some garbage like this.

Sorry I'm real and you all live in fantasy land where everything about the Avs and Gabe Landeskog are roses.

I feel like I'm in fantasy land, where the Avs haven't been a doormat for the past 8-10 years.m

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

A week ago

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400815768

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I guess we'll ignore Landy being top 5 in almost all important 5v5 categories for this team and being tied for top scorer in all situations while trailing because you don't like the "look" of his play.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Instead of just poking fun at the poster with gifs and what not, how about actually responding to his post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad