Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The Barrie situation is very concerning. Every time he gets a point I can see him look up to the arena lights with dollar signs in his eyes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What I personally don't understand is picking up another left hander off of waivers.

If anything we need a steady right side bottom pairing guy we can trust more than anything. Not more log jam on the left side.

We know Nick Holden can do the job while Bigras/Zadorov break in, but we don't have someone we can trust to play that right side on the bottom pair.

We can all agree we don't want to continue seeing either of Guenin or Redmond there for another year.

Yeah if you can replace Holden on the second pair, you could have him play the right side on the bottom pairing, but that requires having someone knock Holden off of the second pairing.

I almost feel like finding Barrie a partner has been the next Defender they've been looking for so that they can do exactly that. Zadorov was tried there and it was decided he was not ready for it. Gormley was never given the chance outside of camp either.

But everything they've looked at suggests they are looking for a #3 or #4 caliber defender in trades or in free-agency.

Edit : Oh and I don't care anymore if Barrie makes .5M more than EJ at this point. With the times Barrie has stepped up in EJ's absence including this one and one other time, I'm happy knowing the guy can take his game to another level. Hes better used getting offensive starts, but hes also good enough to be used at all points on the ice to drive the play forward. I'm completely satisfied with what Barrie is capable of at this point, and can say hes worth what EJ is being paid and a touch more if that's what it takes to keep him.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Too bad Bogo is in BUF now he'd be perfect and I think that type is exactly what they are looking for. Now and the future.
Bogo, Gudbrandson, Polak, Gudas, etc.
Third pairing beat em physical D that can block shots. Total cement heads.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
It's actually incredibly impressive what Barrie has managed to accomplish, what with being shackled to Guenin and Holden for most of his career and all.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's actually incredibly impressive what Barrie has managed to accomplish, what with being shackled to Guenin and Holden for most of his career and all.

Ya, I mean Holden has been pretty good this year, but just imagine what kind of player Barrie could be if he wasn't carrying his pairing, if he had someone else on that pair capable of playing at the level Barrie playing at, only Defensively oriented rather then Offense like Barrie.

Imagine a Vlasic - Barrie pairing. I think Vlasic would be the absolute best Dman in the league to pair with Barrie.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We could imagine a Bigras/Barrie playing since Bigras plays a very similar game to Vlasic.

Ya I've read that comparison a lot. Its definitely something to look forward to, but MEV is possibly the best Dman in the league in his own zone. His Offensive play leaves one wanting more, but in his own zone I struggle to think of many guys who play a better game. It would be absolutely incredibly if Bigras developed into a MEV type player, but I definitely get the comparison.

I would also say I think Bigras has more offensive potential then MEV as well. A lot of us were questioning whether Bigras' offense would transfer to the pros, but so far it absolutely has. I think he can be a 30-35 Point Dman in the NHL, and if his defensive game gets anywhere close to Vlasics he's going to be an absolute stud.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
If I were a betting man, I'd bet the Ducks trade one of their good young D for Drouin by next weekend.

Drouin - Getzlaf - Perry .. that'll ignite their dismal offense

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Ya I've read that comparison a lot. Its definitely something to look forward to, but MEV is possibly the best Dman in the league in his own zone. His Offensive play leaves one wanting more, but in his own zone I struggle to think of many guys who play a better game. It would be absolutely incredibly if Bigras developed into a MEV type player, but I definitely get the comparison.

I would also say I think Bigras has more offensive potential then MEV as well. A lot of us were questioning whether Bigras' offense would transfer to the pros, but so far it absolutely has. I think he can be a 30-35 Point Dman in the NHL, and if his defensive game gets anywhere close to Vlasics he's going to be an absolute stud.

I would also say Bigras' offensive potential is greater than some give him credit for. It's not easy for rookies in the AHL to score and he's over .5 PPG, I looked back at Barrie and Elliott and they didn't tear it up in the AHL, it took Elliott to his 4th year to get 40 points. It was oh he scored a lot of points in junior on the PP, well he does that in the AHL too, and on top of it he's finding a way to score some goals. He's going to always be more regarded for his defense but when he gets here and he can help the forwards by moving the puck and especially on the PP, I wouldn't want to restrict his offensive capability.

This Drouin thing I find funny that he can't get in the lineup in Tampa but his next stop he'll just be put right next to their top players.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
The Barrie situation is very concerning. Every time he gets a point I can see him look up to the arena lights with dollar signs in his eyes.
I'm not worried. Last time he and the Avs had to talk contract they got it done quickly. Barrie deserves good money and he'll get it. I doubt it will be too much, though.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
If I were a betting man, I'd bet the Ducks trade one of their good young D for Drouin by next weekend.

Drouin - Getzlaf - Perry .. that'll ignite their dismal offense

Anaheim makes sense. They have the assets to make the trade, lots of cap space, and are in the opposite conference.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Have Avs claimed more players on waivers this season than the rest of the league combined?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
This Drouin thing I find funny that he can't get in the lineup in Tampa but his next stop he'll just be put right next to their top players.

You jeep saying this but it's not because of his inability to play in the NHL rather his coach not giving him the opportunity. Teams trading for Drouin will do so because they know what he's capable of and will give him opportunities and work with him in order to develop his game and work on him reaching his massive potential. They won't just tell him"your not ready" and that's all the feedback He'll get.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You jeep saying this but it's not because of his inability to play in the NHL rather his coach not giving him the opportunity. Teams trading for Drouin will do so because they know what he's capable of and will give him opportunities and work with him in order to develop his game and work on him reaching his massive potential. They won't just tell him"your not ready" and that's all the feedback He'll get.

So it's all oppression and he doesn't have things to work on? I do believe they've yanked him around more than necessary but it's a flat out assumption that he's going to just be put with top players, that Roy would straight put him with MacKinnon. It's the whole "he's going to play with Stamkos!" all over again. I don't think Drouin is an AHLer but I don't think he's a top line player yet either. There's nothing wrong with that.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
So it's all oppression and he doesn't have things to work on? I do believe they've yanked him around more than necessary but it's a flat out assumption that he's going to just be put with top players, that Roy would straight put him with MacKinnon. It's the whole "he's going to play with Stamkos!" all over again. I don't think Drouin is an AHLer but I don't think he's a top line player yet either. There's nothing wrong with that.

Roy had a problem with a coach once...

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I would also say Bigras' offensive potential is greater than some give him credit for. It's not easy for rookies in the AHL to score and he's over .5 PPG, I looked back at Barrie and Elliott and they didn't tear it up in the AHL, it took Elliott to his 4th year to get 40 points. It was oh he scored a lot of points in junior on the PP, well he does that in the AHL too, and on top of it he's finding a way to score some goals. He's going to always be more regarded for his defense but when he gets here and he can help the forwards by moving the puck and especially on the PP, I wouldn't want to restrict his offensive capability.

That's because Cooper is not giving him a legit chance. Every time he's played he's done well. Any team that will get him will definitely have him in their top 6 from the get go. Last time a Tbay hotshot prospect had problem with a coach they fired the coach and the rest was history, they got it right last time but I guess lightening doesn't strike twice.

People are sure reaching for reasons not to trade for him... fabricating character issues.:laugh:

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
To land Drouin it would be tough without parting with Zadorov or Bigras, but I think it's possible. Now I suck at these, but what about this as a starting point...

To Avs
Drouin

To Lightning
2016 First Rounder
Siemens
+++

Just can't figure out what the +++ would be

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
To land Drouin it would be tough without parting with Zadorov or Bigras, but I think it's possible. Now I suck at these, but what about this as a starting point...

To Avs
Drouin

To Lightning
2016 First Rounder
Siemens
+++

Stuart, Iginla and Tanguay?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

To Avs
Drouin

To Lightning
2016 First Rounder
Siemens
+++

Oaks grow from acorns.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

To Avs
Drouin

To Lightning
2016 First Rounder
Siemens
+++

There's absolutely no way that's the best offer they are getting.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

To Avs
Drouin

To Lightning
2016 First Rounder
Siemens
+++

2017 1st

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I was originally pro Drouin trade, but the way the Avs have been playing lately I hope they don't tamper too much with the team. The only exception would be if the front office is well aware that Barrie's contract demands are unreasonable.

I'd like to see the Avs get a 45-55pt winger, shed a few contracts, and swap prospects like Hishon, Siemens, and maybe Bleackley so they get a chance elsewhere. I'd also be ok with the Avs doing nothing at the deadline too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad