Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We'll always be in the market for a top 4 defensemen if we don't develop the high talent prospects we have. Do people just want the defense to suck forever?

Zadorov is a non starter.

We have just as much of a hole in the Top 6 as we do the Top 4 right now as well though.

We only have 4 Top 6 players on the roster right now, and we have 1 prospect who will likely be a Top 6 guy within a year.

That still leaves 1 Top 6 hole with no prospect or player in the system with any sort of real shot at filling that hole.

If we moved Zadorov for Drouin, we would fill the Top 6 hole, but it would then create a hole in the Top 4.

I think for Sakic/Roy it would basically have to come down to what kind of a plan they have in place for this summer that we dont know about. Maybe they know more about the Radulov situation then us, and maybe we're actually closer to signing him this summer then we think. Or perhaps the Avs really like a couple Dmen from this years draft and plan on taking them with our 1st, allowing us to make a trade for that Top 6 forward we need. Or maybe the Avs have plans to go hard after Byfuglien/Yandle/Coburn this summer instead of a free agent forward.

We dont know what Sakic/Roys game plan is. But if they are interested in Drouin and believe he still has the same elite potential he had when he was drafted, then we shouldn't be making lesser players like Zadorov and Bigras untouchable just because of the hole it might create(Remember they aren't even in the NHL right now).

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
We have just as much of a hole in the Top 6 as we do the Top 4 right now as well though.

We only have 4 Top 6 players on the roster right now, and we have 1 prospect who will likely be a Top 6 guy within a year.

That still leaves 1 Top 6 hole with no prospect or player in the system with any sort of real shot at filling that hole.

If we moved Zadorov for Drouin, we would fill the Top 6 hole, but it would then create a hole in the Top 4.

I think for Sakic/Roy it would basically have to come down to what kind of a plan they have in place for this summer that we dont know about. Maybe they know more about the Radulov situation then us, and maybe we're actually closer to signing him this summer then we think. Or perhaps the Avs really like a couple Dmen for this year draft and plan on taking them with our 1st, allowing us to make a trade for that Top 6 forward we need. Or maybe the Avs have plans to go hard after Byfuglien/Yandle/Coburn this summer instead of a free agent forward.

We dont know what Sakic/Roys game plan is. But if they are interested in Drouin and believe he still has the same elite potential he had when he was drafted, then we shouldn't be making lesser players like Zadorov and Bigras untouchable just because of the hole it might create(Remember they aren't even in the NHL right now).
I'd much rather have holes on the wing than holes in your top 4 on defense.

MUCH rather.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Landeskog for Drouin++

Hell no.

Why the eff would the Avs give up a proven thing for a piece like Drouin?

Unless Hedman or Kucherov are coming as well, you can forget about this hopefully.

With ROR the Avs had to settle for all potential for a proven young star because he forced the issue with his contract problems.

Now Drouin asks for a trade (which makes him look terrible IMO) and we give up our captain for him?

That is crazy. That would make us look incredibly foolish.

The Avs can't really afford to trade for him.

And the only pieces that might make sense are our 1st or Zadorov if Roy/Sakic are not as high on him as they were before.
Or maybe Bigras if SFY is high on him.

EDIT: Barrie of course should be mentioned but him getting traded to Tampa Bay for Drouin just makes 0 sense with our D problems and his history with Tampa (or rather his dads). He also should not be on the table for Drouin IMO.

All depends on how Roy/Sakic rate their own prospects. I am not sure I want any of those pieces traded for Drouin but I probably would not hate it if they decide to go that route. But only if they are not convinced of Bigras/Zadorov ever turning into the top pairing quality Ds that we hope them to be.

Him asking for a trade in November is a huge red flag, though.

That kid has achieved nothing at the NHL level so far and seems to have an attitude. Add the concerns about the type of game he plays and how well that works in the NHL and I would be very hesitant to give up major assets for him.

Still baffled that Tampa passed on Jones for him. Will never understand that one.

Last edited:

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Hell no.

Why the eff would the Avs give up a proven thing for a piece like Drouin?

Unless Hedman or Kucherov are coming as well, you can forget about this hopefully.

With ROR the Avs had to settle for all potential for a proven young star because he forced the issue with his contract problems.

Now Drouin asks for a trade (which makes him look terrible IMO) and we give up our captain for him?

That is crazy. That would make us look incredibly foolish.

The Avs can't really afford to trade for him.

And the only piece that might make sense are our 1st or Zadorov if Roy/Sakic are not as high on him as they were before.
Or maybe Bigras.

All depends on how they rate their own prospects. I am not sure I want any of those pieces traded for Drouin but I probably would not hate it if they decide to go that route. But only if they are not convinced of Bigras/Zadorov ever turning into the top pairing quality Ds that we hope them to be.

Guess it all comes down to how much you value Landeskog. With each game he plays this season, he is making it very hard for me to like him.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
The only 3 prospects I wouldn't move are Rantanen, Bigras and Meloche. Bigras is/will be better than Zadorov imo.

I'd offer Zadorov and Compher/2017 1st(lottery protected) for Drouin.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Get Drouin and reunite him with MacKinnon will make sense for a team that lacks top 6 forwards and talent

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Well if the Avs are going all in, may as well give them the value of capspace for Stamkos and put Holden for Carle in the package. Won't need to worry about all that Radulov stuff anymore or overpaying Okposso, Ladd or Boedker

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wouldn't trade Rantanen for Drouin. Rantanen might not be as good offensively if both guys reach their potential but he'll be a very good two-way winger. He's exactly the type of winger we need next to MacKinnon/Duchene.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Barrie for Drouin

Drouin is an entirely unproven player, three years removed from his draft year with nothing of note accomplished in the NHL. And now he has demanded a trade. What makes him worth anything close to Barrie? Tampa Bay has known he has wanted out for over a month, and they have got nothing done. Now they send him to the AHL, and his agent goes public. Safe to say that Drouin is quite unhappy and I doubt Tampa wants to have an unhappy player who everyone knows wants out on their farm team.

I will be shocked if Tampa 'wins' a Drouin deal. Teams do not win when they are moving entirely unproven players who they have to move. It will be like Turris all over again. Yet in a Barrie / Drouin deal, the centrepiece of the deal isn't Drouin, it's Barrie, and that's a problem.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yes he does

Drouin's value is probably similar to Zadorov. Same age, same NHL experience but unproven. Delusion the higher pick but Zadorov is more a special breed because of his size and position. Still, that's not something I'd do and Tampa would want more.

maybe i'm in the minority or the only one but i personally value bigras more than zadorov.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
maybe i'm in the minority or the only one but i personally value bigras more than zadorov.

not the only one.

I do think neither should be moved for Drouin though. I think the team will need both Dmen more than another FWD in the coming years. They have more chances at finding a FWD in the draft to sooner complement the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany