Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Varlamov is 10th in save percentage among starters in the last three years. He's one of the very best in the league in the shootout.

It's hard to predict how he would do in a more structured system that allows fewer shots but I think he'd be ok. I don't think Avs are easy to play behind, even though some of the shots they allow are good shots for a goalie.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
We'd win a lot more games if we could pot just one more goal per game.

#CaptainObvious

We really should be able to, though, with the talent we have.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I've said it a million times but the NHL has changed. OF course it would be nice to see Yandle be a little better defensively but he's fantastic at going into a defensive corner, retrieving the puck and getting it out of the zone with possession. He isn't quite Adam Foote clearing the front of the net but that isn't what's needed in a defenseman this day in age. Plus in my scenario for Yandle included swapping EJ with Hamonic which would make for a fantastic Yandle partner to help diminish those lapses. Would be a great top pairing.

Far too many hypotheticals to imagine ever happening but I'm just saying I would love the look of our team.

Skating and skill and puck moving ability might have taken over as more important traits than size and strength. But IQ is still the most important aspect by far when it comes to playing defense IMO. And stopping scoring chances and not allowing easy goals is still more important than puck retrieval. This is a very low scoring game. Defense is just too important to be giving up too many dumb goals. There is a reason most teams typically only have 1 of these Barrie/Yandle types in their top 4, and typically on the 2nd pair.

IMO it's also just way too hard to have a good defender cover for a bad one. While it's very much a team game, each individual has to be doing their part. Their partners can't be in two places at once or covering two resposibilitiies. When you ask people to do too much that's when things break down really easy.

We need guys who are good defensively and getting the puck out of the zone. Guys who are complete Dzone players. Beauch was a good find. and Bigras fits the part. Hamonic would be a great add. But Yandle would just be another dingus without the puck on his stick.

That group would provide for entertaining hockey. But I don't think it would be very successful hockey. Even though we might have the puck more, and score more, I think we would be giving up even more goals against. And being on the lower end of goals against just isn't a good recipe for success.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think Varlamov would get us Bennett. I'm thinking a mid 1st would be the offer.

Sorry Gigantor, but I'm taking this to the main boards to get a feel from other fans on what they'd offer. It doesn't mean I want to trade him I promise :laugh:

Yeah, that went about as expected LOL

Usually at the point when your ready to discuss trading a goalie, people are going to point to all kinds of flaws.

The only way they get good value during this off season for him would be if he turned in some good performances down the stretch here.

The market is also pretty limited, as the only teams I can see willing to value him highly are Calgary and Winnipeg. Everyone else either has someone young they have put their faith into (EDM/BUF), or is committed for a few years to a mediocre guy (DAL/NYI). That's a pretty limited market.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Winnipeg definitely have no interest in Varlamov. I think Hellebuyck is the best goalie prospect out there.

Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary and AZ are the teams I can think of

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Its a tough spot with Varly and Pickard.

On the one hand, we know what we have in Varly, he can be lights out for a stretch, but can be average at best during other stretches.

With Pickard, he hasn't started a full NHL season yet, and I think before we do anything with our Goalies we need to see Picks get at least 40 starts in a year before you look at moving either him or Varlamov. But, its so difficult to give Pickard that many starts if Varlamov is playing at the level we want him to be. And if he's not and Pickard is starting, that just hurts Varlys value even more.

I guess you have to look at what teams could really use a #1G this summer? Toronto, Calgary, Arizona, Edmonton.

Those are the only 4 teams IMO that have a clear need for a #1 Still. Then you've got teams like DAL, STL, WPG, VAN, and OTT who have a #1 right now, but Varlamov would clearly be an upgrade(DAL, STL, and WPG), or the #1 they do have is starting to age a bit(Anderson and Miller).

So at most its probably only 9-10 teams that would have interest in Varlamov. The question is what kind of package would those teams offer for him?

If you could get a Sam Bennett, Draisatil, Horvat, Duclair, etc. then you obviously pull the trigger on Varly I think.

But, realistically we'd probably only get a similar package to what we gave up for him. A 1st + prospects. Its hard to move Varly without getting something that helps us right now.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It would very stupid of the Avs to rush a Varly trade, the guy has been very good in an Avs jersey with very little help. It's like people forget he was robbed of a Vezina trophy a couple years back.

Pickard despite playing well, has done not very much at the NHL level, and we have no clue if he is capable of playing 55+ games a year while maintaining solid consistent play.

It would be really risky to just hand over the keys to Pickard.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Where did I ever say that?

Varly is paid like a top end goalie, he should be expected to perform like one with consistency. He is underperforming this year by a significant amount.

So is EJ,Duchene,Landy and soon Mack. Lets trade them all, blow it up and start drafting Matthews and repeat the process with him in 5 years time.

Or we can make the right moves and keep the core as is, while surrounding them with better people around them?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Varlamov is 10th in save percentage among starters in the last three years. He's one of the very best in the league in the shootout.

It's hard to predict how he would do in a more structured system that allows fewer shots but I think he'd be ok. I don't think Avs are easy to play behind, even though some of the shots they allow are good shots for a goalie.

Change that to last 2 years and he is 19th. Varly can be an excellent goalie, and he is being paid like one. If he can't be counted on to be an excellent goalie and/or stay healthy consistently... his $5.9 cap hit can start to hurt a team bumping up against the upper limit. There is potential for that to happen next season. No doubt moving Varly is a risky move, but it is a move that can be mitigated by making the rest of the team better and if you believe that Picks can consistently be a .915-.918 starter. If you believe the ladder is true, I think there is a real debate there.

So is EJ,Duchene,Landy and soon Mack. Lets trade them all, blow it up and start drafting Matthews and repeat the process with him in 5 years time.

Or we can make the right moves and keep the core as is, while surrounding them with better people around them?

Again... never said that. It is hard to surround the core when there is very limited cap space. I'm not saying absolutely change the core, but I am saying that if there is a core change to be made, Varly is the piece that makes the most sense for a multitude of reasons. Part of which is his performance, part of which is the extra cap space freed up can surround the other parts of the core, part of which is injury history.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Again... never said that. It is hard to surround the core when there is very limited cap space. I'm not saying absolutely change the core, but I am saying that if there is a core change to be made, Varly is the piece that makes the most sense for a multitude of reasons. Part of which is his performance, part of which is the extra cap space freed up can surround the other parts of the core, part of which is injury history.

Varly is probably the most consistent avs player there is... the problem is he can't lean on anyone if he dips in form. Hell even the best Lundqvist has had ****** months but nobody calls for his head. Varly is not the problem, he's part of the solution. The real problem lies somewhere else.

Cap space is not an issue, you're grasping at straws...this team pays Stuart over 3 million dollars for literally nothing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Varly is probably the most consistent avs player there is... the problem is he can't lean on anyone if he dips in form. Hell even the best Lundqvist has had ****** months but nobody calls for his head. Varly is not the problem, he's part of the solution. The real problem lies somewhere else.

Cap space is not an issue, you're grasping at straws...this team pays Stuart over 3 million dollars for literally nothing.

Varly isn't the most consistent player on the Avs... in 13-14 he was, beyond that, that statement just doesn't hold water.

Have you seen the projections out there with MacK and Barrie at ~$6+m? Without adding anybody and losing Boedker and Matthias... the Avs have maybe 4-5m in cap space to replace both Boedker and Matthias, even assuming Stuart is LTIR and Iggy stays in the top 9. The Avs can make the situation work, but moving a big cap hit would free up a lot of space to make bigger moves.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Duchene is on pace for 62 points and 34 goals :amazed:
Mackinnon is on pace for 60 points.
Lando is on pace for 60 points.

It would be nice to have one of MacK or Duchene closer to a ppg. But 60 points is not really underperforming. A little bit less then we can talk. That's also perfectly fine production for 6M. Lando is right where he should be. Anything more than 60 from him is a bonus.

EJ is obviously hurt. Before that he was earning his keep.

Varly, however, is in the lower 10 in the league amongst #1s in save%, and bottom5 in GAA. Both Pickard and Berra are statistically better as well, even having similar stats, so you can't use the team excuse for Varly. He has been by far our most inconsistent core player as well, which goalie is the position you need the most consistency from. And then there is the question of playing in big games, which is another thing really important for a goalie, and something I don't think the other core members have been questioned about.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's funny, yesterday exploring trading Duchene even though they have absolutely no option or solution to replace him at center was met with a better reaction than the thought of trading Varly with at least some semblance of a plan on what to do without him.

Make no mistake, I do not want to see ANY of the core go but if they are going to make some reactionary move then the ehrmagherd not Varly isn't really fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad