Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
At what point do we consider moving Varly? I love him. But I actually can see Pickard being a better goalie long term.

It would leave a lot of cap space and we should be able to get a ton for him still.

Not necessarily saying I want it to happen. Because Varly is our best player like 75% of games but it's worth asking.

You don't consider moving Varly OR Pickard until the next off-season in order to evaluate Pickard with a full season of being in the NHL and Martin having a full season in the AHL. This off-season is far too soon. Pickard has no power to go anywhere right now so why not keep the strongest goaltending pipeline in the NHL intact for one more season to see how the goalies progress?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think any move Picks or Varly should be ruled out this summer. There are some major pros and cons to moving Varly, but the cap space that it can open up can potentially make a huge difference on the rest of the team. An example of a roster without Varly could be something like this:

Landy (5.571)-MacK (6.5)-Boedker (4.75)
Grigo (1.25)-Duchene (6.0)-Radulov (5.0)
Rantanen (.925)-Soda (4.75)-Comeau (2.4)
McLeod (1.33)-Mitchell (1.8)-Scrub (.750)
Scrub (.750)

Beauch (4.5)-EJ (6.0)
Bigras (.844)-Barrie (6.0)
Zadorov (.895)-Holden (1.65)
Gelinas (1.575)
Scrub (.800)

Pickard (1.25)
Berra (1.45)

That is about a 66.75m cap hit. So plenty of room to move some salaries up if need be, or add to the roster at defense or goalie. Yeah, goaltending is a huge question mark on that team, but it would potentially be one of the top forward groups in the NHL with plenty of potential on defense.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think any move Picks or Varly should be ruled out this summer. There are some major pros and cons to moving Varly, but the cap space that it can open up can potentially make a huge difference on the rest of the team. An example of a roster without Varly could be something like this:

Landy (5.571)-MacK (6.5)-Boedker (4.75)
Grigo (1.25)-Duchene (6.0)-Radulov (5.0)
Rantanen (.925)-Soda (4.75)-Comeau (2.4)
McLeod (1.33)-Mitchell (1.8)-Scrub (.750)
Scrub (.750)

Beauch (4.5)-EJ (6.0)
Bigras (.844)-Barrie (6.0)
Zadorov (.895)-Holden (1.65)
Gelinas (1.575)
Scrub (.800)

Pickard (1.25)
Berra (1.45)

That is about a 66.75m cap hit. So plenty of room to move some salaries up if need be, or add to the roster at defense or goalie. Yeah, goaltending is a huge question mark on that team, but it would potentially be one of the top forward groups in the NHL with plenty of potential on defense.

I know our defense is filling out with prospects coming up and all but if Varly is gone I'd save the money on one of Boedker/Radulov and pump it into Yandle. His defensive game is bad but man what a way to jump start our blue line.

I don't want to lose Varly, but if we did I would love to then swap EJ for Hamonic and sign Yandle. Our back end could look like this:

Yandle Hamonic
Bigras Barrie
Zads Beauchemin

We'd save 2.14M in cap space by swapping EJ with Hamonic and then 5.9 by trading Varly. That's just over 8million in cap space. Give Yandle 6-6.5 and that's still 1.5 to 2 million more in cap space which we anticipated having.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Even at 66.75... there is probably ~4-5m in cap room and then taking one of the roster spots away at least $5m available. That could probably land a Hamhuis type with the forwards as they are, or at very least a Demers.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I said it months ago, before there ever was a 'goalie controversy' that at some point Avs have to make a decision if Pickard shows he has starter potential. But that's not now. The earliest point is summer of 2017 if you ask me. At that point Pickard is 25 and has five years of pro experience.

If Avs trade Varlamov this summer I think it would be a mistake and there is a real chance next season would be very rough.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
i said it months ago, before there ever was a 'goalie controversy' that at some point avs have to make a decision if pickard shows he has starter potential. But that's not now. The earliest point is summer of 2017 if you ask me. At that point pickard is 25 and has five years of pro experience.

If avs trade varlamov this summer i think it would be a mistake and there is a real chance next season would be very rough.

thank you

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I said it months ago, before there ever was a 'goalie controversy' that at some point Avs have to make a decision if Pickard shows he has starter potential. But that's not now. The earliest point is summer of 2017 if you ask me. At that point Pickard is 25 and has five years of pro experience.

If Avs trade Varlamov this summer I think it would be a mistake and there is a real chance next season would be very rough.

Also a real chance the team is more complete and deeper while getting relatively the same quality of goaltending. Varly hasn't been consistently good this season and last season he wasn't a world beater either (though if he got back there, there isn't really anything to complain about)... plus he wasn't able to be counted on at the beginning of each season. Expecting Varly to bounce back to Vezina caliber form is as risky as expecting Picks and Berra to be a ~.915-.918 goalie tandem.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Yeah, if you're going to take the huge risk of trading Varly and starting Picks, you need a better backup than Berra. Maybe an aging vet? (like Jiggy a couple years ago)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, if you're going to take the huge risk of trading Varly and starting Picks, you need a better backup than Berra. Maybe an aging vet? (like Jiggy a couple years ago)

Hey there is a former Conn Smythe winner that will be available. :naughty:

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO

Yeah this is exactly what I said in the last thread RE: Varly and Picks. Absolute earliest I could see the switch happening would be the 2017 deadline if Pick shows in the first few months of next season that he needs to be the #1 guy, but more likely it would be summer 2017 that we would/should see Varly moved.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If goalie trade returns were bigger and someone blew Avs away with an offer, perhaps a gamble would be worth it but it's hard seeing that happening.

What if Calgary offer Sam Bennett for Varlamov?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I know our defense is filling out with prospects coming up and all but if Varly is gone I'd save the money on one of Boedker/Radulov and pump it into Yandle. His defensive game is bad but man what a way to jump start our blue line.

I don't want to lose Varly, but if we did I would love to then swap EJ for Hamonic and sign Yandle. Our back end could look like this:

Yandle Hamonic
Bigras Barrie
Zads Beauchemin

We'd save 2.14M in cap space by swapping EJ with Hamonic and then 5.9 by trading Varly. That's just over 8million in cap space. Give Yandle 6-6.5 and that's still 1.5 to 2 million more in cap space which we anticipated having.

No thanks to Yandle unless it's Barrie that is being traded. One defensive liability is enough.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
So Varly has hit a rough patch and Pickard has done well. Therefore, the Avs must trade Varly.

Geez . . . I can't get on board with this. I need to see much more from Pickard.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If goalie trade returns were bigger and someone blew Avs away with an offer, perhaps a gamble would be worth it but it's hard seeing that happening.

What if Calgary offer Sam Bennett for Varlamov?

Then you do it, even though it would hurt the team short term, but no one is gonna offer that much I reckon.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So Varly has hit a rough patch and Pickard has done well. Therefore, the Avs must trade Varly.

Geez . . . I can't get on board with this. I need to see much more from Pickard.

Don't think it's that anyone has given up on Varly. I don't think one person has said they feel like Pickard is more talented. It's more does it make sense if you could a) get a great return b) allocate the funds of his contract in a different manner c) IF the Avs are forced to make a change does this one make the most sense

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No thanks to Yandle unless it's Barrie that is being traded. One defensive liability is enough.

I've said it a million times but the NHL has changed. OF course it would be nice to see Yandle be a little better defensively but he's fantastic at going into a defensive corner, retrieving the puck and getting it out of the zone with possession. He isn't quite Adam Foote clearing the front of the net but that isn't what's needed in a defenseman this day in age. Plus in my scenario for Yandle included swapping EJ with Hamonic which would make for a fantastic Yandle partner to help diminish those lapses. Would be a great top pairing.

Far too many hypotheticals to imagine ever happening but I'm just saying I would love the look of our team.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, let's trade Varly after a good half dozen games from a 22 year old. This will somehow fix the team in front of Varly, that's been hot garbage most of the year and last year.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't think Berra is a poor choice for the backup considering his cost and mostly steady improvement, but there should be a few options in FA for a more proven backup.

If a team is willing to go with a Schneider-esque (+ ?) value offer I think the Avs have to seriously consider it.

There won't be a great deal of change that can take place next season and the Avs roster will be in more of a maintaining position until the Iginla and Stuart deals expire. They should be planning on seeing if some consistency in the roster will help it improve, and if not plan on significant upgrades in the 2017 offseason when they have more flexibility.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think Varlamov would get us Bennett. I'm thinking a mid 1st would be the offer.

Sorry Gigantor, but I'm taking this to the main boards to get a feel from other fans on what they'd offer. It doesn't mean I want to trade him I promise :laugh:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's hard to predict goalie value. It depends on how many teams need a starter, what cap room they have and so on.

Martin Jones fetched 13th overall. Cam Talbot fetched 57th and 79th overall. Before, most of us would probably not have viewed them as having much different value. Sharks just really wanted Jones while Oilers could afford to wait out Rangers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Don't think it's that anyone has given up on Varly. I don't think one person has said they feel like Pickard is more talented. It's more does it make sense if you could a) get a great return b) allocate the funds of his contract in a different manner c) IF the Avs are forced to make a change does this one make the most sense

This.

Yeah, let's trade Varly after a good half dozen games from a 22 year old. This will somehow fix the team in front of Varly, that's been hot garbage most of the year and last year.

It isn't a good half dozen games at this point from Picks... it also isn't just about Picks. It is about Varly himself too.

I don't think Varlamov would get us Bennett. I'm thinking a mid 1st would be the offer.

Me either, but if Bennett for Varly was a serious trade offer... I'd take it and run. Mid 1st or A level prospect not established in NHL is probably Varly's value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad