Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎ ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Tigervixxen: Because every team, even the worst one's improve every year.

Lol

The problem with that is throwing Mr 6 goal Grigs on a top line, negatively impacts tje production output of the real top 6 players.

I'm also concerned for Rantanen, who looked completely out of his depth when given NHL time last season.

Mr. 6 goal Grigs was 5th on the team in 5 on 5 points/60. He was ahead Iginla, Soderberg, and Boedker, and basically the same as MacKinnon. This, despite his time working his way up to the top 6 as RL mentioned. I'm not saying he will light the world on fire, but I think you are a little offbase about him.

And Rantanen might have some growing pains, but he'll be fine.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
If you want to argue that this is a bottom 3 team then the last damn thing they need to do is go out and sign some UFAs.

But that's my argument. Is now the time to do that? How about we sit tight, and think longer term? Ok, everyone wants instant success.

My opinion is we could come 18th - 25th with a few free agents, but that just slows the high end quality attained through the draft.

It's not such a bad thing. Would I have said this after our 3rd overall season 3 years ago? No. I'd have then wanted 1 or 2 pieces added to go to that next level, but no, we lost Stastny, for nothing, and brought in Iginla, who has offered us nothing 5 on 5.

If you think I'm negative now, I won't go into what I thought of the O'Reilly trade.

So for mine, the option is, save the cap space, develop our players where able, get some high end talent through the draft. The other is to acquire free agents, win a few more nothing games, continue to get mid range picks, and stagnate like we have the last 2 years.

We have far too many holes, and far too much lack of talent to go anywhere near a Stanley Cup. If we aren't far away (as we were only 3 years ago), we are having an entirely different conversation.

So, as it stands, we are a bottom quality team. Make the most of it, and grow through the draft and development. Historically we've been garbage there as well, but in my mind, it's the only waybwe go to the next level.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
But that's my argument. Is now the time to do that? How about we sit tight, and think longer term? Ok, everyone wants instant success.

My opinion is we could come 18th - 25th with a few free agents, but that just slows the high end quality attained through the draft.

It's not such a bad thing. Would I have said this after our 3rd overall season 3 years ago? No. I'd have then wanted 1 or 2 pieces added to go to that next level, but no, we lost Stastny, for nothing, and brought in Iginla, who has offered us nothing 5 on 5.

If you think I'm negative now, I won't go into what I thought of the O'Reilly trade.

So for mine, the option is, save the cap space, develop our players where able, get some high end talent through the draft. The other is to acquire free agents, win a few more nothing games, continue to get mid range picks, and stagnate like we have the last 2 years.

We have far too many holes, and far too much lack of talent to go anywhere near a Stanley Cup. If we aren't far away (as we were only 3 years ago), we are having an entirely different conversation.

So, as it stands, we are a bottom quality team. Make the most of it, and grow through the draft and development. Historically we've been garbage there as well, but in my mind, it's the only waybwe go to the next level.

Given your opinion of Rantanen, Grigorenko and our other prospects, I wonder what players you are talking about developing next year?

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Lol

Mr. 6 goal Grigs was 5th on the team in 5 on 5 points/60. He was ahead Iginla, Soderberg, and Boedker, and basically the same as MacKinnon. This, despite his time working his way up to the top 6 as RL mentioned. I'm not saying he will light the world on fire, but I think you are a little offbase about him.

And Rantanen might have some growing pains, but he'll be fine.

Roy started basically benching him throughout the season as well. End of the day if he is our best (or second best) winger we have, then fair enough.

Also says a lot about our team.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Given your opinion of Rantanen, Grigorenko and our other prospects, I wonder what players you are talking about developing next year?

Exactly those players. Is this a trick question? They need development to be NHL calibre.

On a stacked roster, Rantanen should play (along with Bigras, Zadorov, Grigorenko) in the AHL (I say that assuming the AHL has staff that actually develops talent).

I will be harsh here. They are all getting rushed, because we are garbage as a team. I hate rushing.players. Young talent need time, investment, development, sometimes protecting, patience etc.

Wonder how many of these players make The Penguins line-up, and if so, wpuld they play on the top lines as.people list them here?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Exactly those players. Is this a trick question? They need development to be NHL calibre.

On a stacked roster, Rantanen should play (along with Bigras, Zadorov, Grigorenko) in the AHL (I say that assuming the AHL has staff that actually develops talent).

I will be harsh here. They are all getting rushed, because we are garbage as a team. I hate rushing.players. Young talent need time, investment, development, sometimes protecting, patience etc.

Wonder how many of these players make The Penguins line-up, and if so, wpuld they play on the top lines as.people list them here?

Bickle played on Chicago's top line for a huge chunk of time, and they won a Cup.

I think you're focusing on where the lines are listed, and forgetting that it's common for secondary players who fill a role to play on top lines.

Grigorenko fits a role as a play-maker, and a winger who is competent defensively. He also has top six offensive talent coming out of his draft, and has not looked out of place playing against tough competition. He's got some of the best hands on the team in close at the net, and he is also probably one of the best passers on the team as well.

MonsterMack

Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
You happy with consecutive 21st overall back to back seasons? Fair enough, but I'm not, and want progression (which could take various forms).

Of course not. I'd prefer a top 5 pick over picking 10th for a 3rd consecutive year. I'm just saying I don't see this team as a bottom 5 team in the league, because it isn't

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I beg your pardon, but when asked about his benching and/or demotion, Roy.claimed he wanted more from him.

You should listen to the coach.

Or if you wish it away hard enough, can you make it disappear. Good for you.
Did you even read what you posted? You said he was benched throughout the season. Those stopped around the end of January. He was tougher on him because he knows him more than the other players, but Grigorenko got the hang of it and Roy stopped with the benchings because he was doing everything they asked of him.

But there's really no point in arguing with you about this. You're dug in.

MonsterMack

Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO

The Penguins line-up, which boasted Sheary and Rust playing with Crosby and Malkin. Or Shultz and Lovejoy on the backend.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Dater says Radulov too pricey for Avs. At the latest contract demand I'm glad

I believe it. 1) the fact that he's not signed yet would indicate he's not received an offer he's liked, and the Avs don't strike me as a team that would shift much off of their initial offer, 2) Sakic's comments. Even though signing Radulov now would not a July 1st signing, he didn't sound like anything big was going to happen in terms of throwing money around, 3) Radulov's agents comments about nothing further until July 1st would indicate Radulov is just looking for a payday at this point.

If Radulov wanted to be in Colorado, I think he would have been here already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
My question is what happens if he can't get an NHL team to give him what he feels he deserves? Does he crawl back to Russia?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
My question is what happens if he can't get an NHL team to give him what he feels he deserves? Does he crawl back to Russia?

There's no need for him to crawl back to Russia...he'll be suiting up for the Avs in October.

(And yes, despite what Dater has said--even as one of his biggest supporters here--I very much believe in the info I have)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There's no need for him to crawl back to Russia...he'll be suiting up for the Avs in October.

Must be some information you have if you're willing to be that confident despite Dater's comments.

Edit : Hope you are right, as I really don't like our chances of moving into the playoff picture without adding a legit top six winger. I think with the lineup we had at the end of the year healthy (including Zadorov playing like a top 4), and from the start, we could have made it.

MonsterMack

Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO

(And yes, despite what Dater has said--even as one of his biggest supporters here--I very much believe in the info I have)

Well, I'm looking forward to the #Daterjinx tweet he puts out everytime he is wrong.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Must be some information you have if you're willing to be that confident despite Dater's comments.

Nearly everytime I've commented on my confidence in Radulov signing with the Avalanche, I have always included the "of course anything can happen until the ink dries on his signature", and of course that's true.

That being said, I have no reason to doubt what I have. I used to disagree with the notion that the Avs were waiting for the Final Cap # for next season to come in, but now I'm beginning to think that's what it is--and we'll get that by the "middle of next week" (according to Mirtle), and I suspect it will be made official not long after that.

Only thing I don't have is solid intel on the deal...wish I did though.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Avs need to upgrade the D. They say it won't be via UFA so, trade. And it needs to be for a legitimate top 4 LHD now, not a project/development. For those reasons, I think something like Zadorov+10OV? gets traded to like Anaheim for Lindholm. And I say Zadorov over Bigras simply because of Bigras not needing expansion protection.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

They have to make the transition sometime, and there will be growing pains when they do. You can develop players in the NHL too, and frankly one of the few things I like about Roy is that he's good at working with young players on his team and improving them. Given the history of the AHL club as far as development goes (and the fact that some of the guys you want to stick there would have to clear waivers to do so), it seems like the smartest thing to do is do the development in the NHL, let them get their growing pains out during the year you claim to want to throw away, and then have them ready to make a real push once these bad contracts are gone instead of going through the NHL hiccups in a season that matters.

You seem to want multiple different things that are mutually exclusive. It's hard to figure out what your argument here is except that you think we suck and you want to point that out at every opportunity despite evidence to the contrary so we can all try to figure you out for a few pages. I'm starting to think that it's an attention thing for you rather than a desire to actually discuss the Avs.

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Let's see the full tweet first. The question wasn't even about the Avs.

Sent that question to him directly after talking about potential to trade Mitchell, so meant the question with regards to that - so I hope he picked up on the assumption. Tired mind forgot to actually clarify what team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad