Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎ ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
So Radulov will be signed before July is what he's really saying? :sarcasm:

Didn't I hear that we wouldn't hear nothing on him tell after July 1st. We maybe passing on radulov, which has been to me at least what the plans been. I think Radulov/Roy has been "talking"to spring him back into the nhl

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I thought this is one of the best free agent crops in many years.

Ladd, Okposo, Backes, Stamkos, Yandle, Lucic, Eriksson, Boedker, Radulov, Staal, and I'm sure I've missed some.

This year is the bizarro last year, which had no forwards but tons of defensemen - Beauchemin, Martin, Oduya, Sekera, etc.

I hope Colorado signs Radulov, but he is a different case because he's free to sign at any time.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Didn't I hear that we wouldn't hear nothing on him tell after July 1st. We maybe passing on radulov, which has been to me at least what the plans been. I think Radulov/Roy has been "talking"to spring him back into the nhl

I was expecting that we wouldn't hear anything on him until we knew what the cap numbers would look like. Now that we do, perhaps we will see some news on him at last. Even if the Avs aren't in on him anymore it's likely that every GM in the league was worried about the cap going down and therefore hesitant to offer Rads anything in FA that would screw up their cap structure.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
I was expecting that we wouldn't hear anything on him until we knew what the cap numbers would look like. Now that we do, perhaps we will see some news on him at last. Even if the Avs aren't in on him anymore it's likely that every GM in the league was worried about the cap going down and therefore hesitant to offer Rads anything in FA that would screw up their cap structure.

Looks like the avs are loading up on cap space for next year. stuart, ignilia, are off the books. I'm also sure I'm missing others there

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I will admit I have no clue what their plan is.

Whatever it is I really really hope they aren't planning to go into next season with the following line up

Grigorenko-Duchene-Comeau
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Iginla
Martinsen-Soderberg-whoever
McLeod-Mitchell-whoever

Beauchemin-EJ
Holden-Barrie
Bigras/Zadorov-Gelinas/Gormley/Bodnarchuk

Varly
Pickard

Unless the 1st overall pick is a real good one in the next draft I don't wanna see that roster.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Whatever it is I really really hope they aren't planning to go into next season with the following line up

McLeod-Mitchell-whoever

Beauchemin-EJ
Holden-Barrie

Varly
Pickard

Unless the 1st overall pick is a real good one in the next draft I don't wanna see that roster.

Rantanen likely be on there.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
they had great C depth when they had that miracle run. then lost Stastny and ROR in back to back years and now here we are. it`s clear so that they need to get that C depth back. Soderberg came, nice, but another one is still missing. they tried getting a C out of Rantanen, but he didn`t evolve as expected so now they`ll grab another guy on FA: Eric Staal. :naughty:

even after Radulov's novel comes to an end when he re-signs in KHL, the Avs will be able to ice a tremendous team, no need to worry.

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Duchene
Umberger - Staal - Iginla
Grigorenko - Soderberg - Comeau
Mcleod - Mitchell - Rantanen

Stanley Cup, here we go. :laugh:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There is a chance that young guys will take step forward but as of right now there is little indication that Rantanen, Bigras and Zadorov will suddenly have enough impact to make this a playoff team. Neither one of those kids showed much last season and it's hard to imagine there will be a huge jump within a year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's what we played with last year plus one of the kids might do something with their talent, you know like how every other team gets good.

My one wish was is and will remain that Holden is either the 7th defender or is off the team. Preferably gone

It's not really his fault either, I just don't want him there for Roy to fall back to the second one of Zadorov or Bigras make a mistake.

If he plays a top four role again I'm going to have a aneurysm.

they had great C depth when they had that miracle run. then lost Stastny and ROR in back to back years and now here we are. it`s clear so that they need to get that C depth back. Soderberg came, nice, but another one is still missing. they tried getting a C out of Rantanen, but he didn`t evolve as expected so now they`ll grab another guy on FA: Eric Staal. :naughty:

even after Radulov's novel comes to an end when he re-signs in KHL, the Avs will be able to ice a tremendous team, no need to worry.

Umberger - Staal - Iginla
Grigorenko - Soderberg - Comeau
Mcleod - Mitchell - Rantanen

Stanley Cup, here we go. :laugh:

Yeah three games as a #4 center is enough to decide that? lol

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012

McLeod-Mitchell-whoever

Beauchemin-EJ
Holden-Barrie

Varly
Pickard

The only reason I can't see that happening, is that we have come on the bottom 33% of the NHL 2 years straight now, and a third consecutive would spell the end of both Sakic and Roy, who's results would likely mean they would be out of work in the NHL in any capacity.

That said, I think it may be much closer to the mark than people think. I'll be looking forward to Pierce comments as the season starts with a flop.

Apparently we AREN'T trading or moving Barrie, so I'm thinking of a line-up more like this:

Grigorenko - Soderberg - Rantanen
Comeau - Mitchell - Iginla
Mcleod - Compher - Martinsen

Beauchemin - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Holden - Gelinas

Varlamov
Pickard

Yeah, swap.out some 3C or 4C with similar skill scrappers. I hope this short term pain results in long term gain when those ridiculous contracts of Iginla and Stuart are buried.

Like you say, I hope we are.looking at a close to 1st overall again next season to strngthen our team, as well as whatever middle of the pack 10th overall we get this year (after a year of development).

Never know, Grigorenko, Zadorov, Bigras may develop (they need to big time to be effective) and they may be NHL calibre down the track.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The only reason I can't see that happening, is that we have come on the bottom 33% of the NHL 2 years straight now, and a third consecutive would spell the end of both Sakic and Roy, who's results would likely mean they would be out of work in the NHL in any capacity.

That said, I think it may be much closer to the mark than people think. I'll be looking forward to Pierce comments as the season starts with a flop.

Apparently we AREN'T trading or moving Barrie, so I'm thinking of a line-up more like this:

Grigorenko - Soderberg - Rantanen
Comeau - Mitchell - Iginla
Mcleod - Compher - Martinsen

Beauchemin - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Holden - Gelinas

Varlamov
Pickard

Yeah, swap.out some 3C or 4C with similar skill scrappers. I hope this short term pain results in long term gain when those ridiculous contracts of Iginla and Stuart are buried.

Like you say, I hope we are.looking at a close to 1st overall again next season to strngthen our team, as well as whatever middle of the pack 10th overall we get this year (after a year of development).

Never know, Grigorenko, Zadorov, Bigras may develop (they need to big time to be effective) and they may be NHL calibre down the track.

LOL that second line, they'll get very little out of that line. If that's actually what they go with they'll certainly be bound for a top 3 pick.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
LOL that second line, they'll get very little out of that line. If that's actually what they go with they'll certainly be bound for a top 3 pick.

How are they going to get the first overall or the 3rd overall pick with the same roster they had last year? I know we love being dramatic and all but just stop. That's not what this team is. In some ways it would be easier if it was but its not. The point is about taking the next step and how they are going to do that. The kids might not be ready but I don't see a whole lot of option that doesn't completely threaten their future. Other teams take the next step when their kids take the next step. These aren't some random collection of kids to pin our hopes and dreams on. They are all highly talented top draft picks. Why can every single other team draft players and insert them into their lineup? Why it it an impossible task for this franchise? Rantanen is not some nobody. Why is it crazy to think he might be able to make a difference? If he was a prospect for any other team the attitude would be completely different.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
We can't have Landeskog, MacKinnon and Duchene on the same line, except for the PP. We have to spread it out.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
We can't have Landeskog, MacKinnon and Duchene on the same line, except for the PP. We have to spread it out.

We shouldn't even have Duchene and MacKinnon on the same line. Play both at C.
Anyways for free agents, I can see them being active in the bargain-bin and AHL forwards.

Might find some cheap depth in there. Especially wingers.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Cover off on a few of the points above.

Tigervixxen: Because every team, even the worst one's improve every year. It's a matter of by how much, and by how far, and quite often, that is driven by the trend and form for the last 25% of the prior season. We finished up losing 8 out of our last 9, so hope for growth and potential is down.

Roy holds no value in pre-season games. If you look at his record in that arena, it's almost leagues worst, so after finishing in a debacle like last season, we can expect another deplorable start, and that will set the tone.

You keep talking about last years team, as that's a reason people should have higher expectations. I'm sorry, but from game one loss in the pre-season, to game 82 loss of the regular season we didn't address our problems:

+ Too many shots against
+ Too little possession hockey
+ Too much reliance on Varly
+ Poor passing, and a general lack of chemistry

Going forward, without lots of change, this team is going to struggle, like they have for the past two years. A top 3 pick ( what we see in Edmonton) would really improve our lack of skill and ability, and I actually hope will happen.

Especially if it means in 17/18 we could add this years 10th, next years top 3, be free of Iginla and Stuart (opening the door to buy marquee talent).

The LAST thing we want is another year of mediocrity amounting to another 10th - 15th draft pick.

Quebec went through this pain, and I was a fan of theirs. I'm used to this team losing. It makes the good times all the tastier though.

It's your opinion that we won't come bottom 3 next season. It's others that we may, and I can tell you that that may not be a bad thing in the long run.

We aren't a contender, that we can all 100% agree on. May as well hurt more now (hold.off on signeage wastage) to be a beast later on (just manage it better than Edmonton - make.it more akin to Tampa).

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
We shouldn't even have Duchene and MacKinnon on the same line. Play both at C.
Anyways for free agents, I can see them being active in the bargain-bin and AHL forwards.

Might find some cheap depth in there. Especially wingers.

The problem with that is throwing Mr 6 goal Grigs on a top line, negatively impacts tje production output of the real top 6 players.

I'm also concerned for Rantanen, who looked completely out of his depth when given NHL time last season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
But let's be clear, you aren't basing your opinion that the Avs will get a top 3 pick next year on anything but your hope that tanking would be best for the team long term.

There is no logical reason to believe that a similar roster to last year would tank to bottom 3. In fact, given that Guenin, Bodnarchuck, Redmond, and probably Holden won't be on the team next year at all, there's reason to believe that the team could improve slightly without carrying AHL fodder night in and night out. I think you're basing your opinion of our young guys on your belief that we need one more top draft pick to be competitive, not on their actual measurable skill, which most outside observers agree is substantial.

Rantanen didn't dominate the AHL last year because he got lucky, or even because he was on a really great team that inflated his stats, we all know it was the exact opposite. Zadorov improved his game with every callup last year, and while Bigras regressed a little after a strong start (not on the ice for an ES goal against for some substantial number of games after he wore the Avs jersey), he is a damn sight better bottom pair defenseman than anybody else we fielded down there last year with room to grow.

Do I think we will make the playoffs next year? For the record, no, just because of the division we are in. But I think another ten-ish pick is far, far more likely than a tank. Last year's tenth netted us a future core player, and this year's tenth will buy us some real talent as well. There's no reason to believe that another similar pick would be so bad for the future that we NEED to tank to get somebody good.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The problem with that is throwing Mr 6 goal Grigs on a top line, negatively impacts tje production output of the real top 6 players.

I'm also concerned for Rantanen, who looked completely out of his depth when given NHL time last season.

I love how you keep posting little snipes at Grigorenko's production, despite everyone pointing out that he was scratched for 8 games, and when he did start playing in the lineup on a consistent basis, he started out on the 4th line and had to work up to the Top-6.

I love it because it undermines everything you write.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad