Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎ ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Radulov does affect the entire direction of the club. If we sign him, any hope / possibility of a ~2 year reset goes out the window, and the focus will be on competing immediately.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Random question here.

Do the BSN Avalanche guys have any credibility? In their podcast this week they mentioned the Avs were 'closer than most would want to know' to trading for Drouin at the deadline. I'd heard there were talks, but I didn't hear anything indicating they were that close.

Just wondering if there was any other sources confirming that.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Also trades... Signing Radulov opens up some other possibilities on the team and probably causes a few complications. Knowing if they have him is one of the first steps in knowing what this team's cap situation looks like, which impacts the NHL signings and trades.

Now the non-NHL signings, they are not as impacted. Those are being worked on though and for all we know, some may be done.

Signing him has some impact, but I don't really think it would effect any trades. At most it would effect our conversations with Mikkel Boedker, but the draft plan and trying to shore up the D is pretty independent as to Radulov signing with us.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Signing him has some impact, but I don't really think it would effect any trades. At most it would effect our conversations with Mikkel Boedker, but the draft plan and trying to shore up the D is pretty independent as to Radulov signing with us.

Signing Radulov likely creates some cap issues and there is fallout throughout the lineup because of that (trades and signings). That money can't be spent on D in free agency, so a different plan has to be hatched... which could involve moving a number of different players.

Random question here.

Do the BSN Avalanche guys have any credibility? In their podcast this week they mentioned the Avs were 'closer than most would want to know' to trading for Drouin at the deadline. I'd heard there were talks, but I didn't hear anything indicating they were that close.

They are a media source... they have some. How much has yet to really be determined, but they will have some sources inside the organization and might be privy to some info that others don't have. That is coming from a person who has been hard on them.

Independent from them, the discussions did get pretty far on Drouin. I've heard varying ranges from different people, but the main theme of them all is that it was pretty close.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Random question here.

I've never heard of anything like that but I would imagine that ship has sailed regardless. Drouin has played really well since rejoining the Lightning. The cost to acquire him now is probably much, much higher than it was back then. I'm fully expecting another Hamonic situation where he rescinds his trade request.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I've never heard of anything like that but I would imagine that ship has sailed regardless. Drouin has played really well since rejoining the Lightning. The cost to acquire him now is probably much, much higher than it was back then. I'm fully expecting another Hamonic situation where he rescinds his trade request.

Yeah, even the BSN guys said now after Drouin came back and is tearing up the playoffs there's pretty much no chance it happens. Even if he wants to move on, the price was too high before he went and raised his stock in the post season. I was just surprised to hear things were that close. I honestly thought it was mostly fan speculation around here.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think everyone was assuming a package centered around one of Bigras, Zadorov, or Rantanen was what Yzerman was asking for.

I've got to agree with Sakic not pulling the trigger there.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yeah, even the BSN guys said now after Drouin came back and is tearing up the playoffs there's pretty much no chance it happens. Even if he wants to move on, the price was too high before he went and raised his stock in the post season. I was just surprised to hear things were that close. I honestly thought it was mostly fan speculation around here.

was there talk about what the avs offered?

I'm not surprised there were talks but I'm not sure how 'close' things actually got. I'd bet the Lightning wanted Rantanen+ and the Avs didn't want to part with him after the season he's been having with the Rampage (rightfully so).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think everyone was assuming a package centered around one of Bigras, Zadorov, or Rantanen was what Yzerman was asking for.

I've got to agree with Sakic not pulling the trigger there.

I've heard it wasn't but I have my doubts if it was even "close" that Yzerman wasn't going to pull the trigger, he never wanted to trade Drouin, really. Let's just say if the Avs pulled off what it was even I would have been happy.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I've heard it wasn't but I have my doubts if it was even "close" that Yzerman wasn't going to pull the trigger, he never wanted to trade Drouin, really. Let's just say if the Avs pulled off what it was even I would have been happy.

I'm going to loose sleep over that :laugh:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
In the end, I'm thinking we don't trade anyone or acquire any players whatsoever - and don't even move in the draft.

I actually think we may move our existing players up, and just expect more of them. Something like:-

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Duchene
Grigorenko - Soderberg - Iginla
Comeau - Mitchell - Rantanen
Mcleod - Compher - Martinsen
(Skille)

Beauchemin - Johnson
Holden - Barrie
Zadorov - Bigras
(Gelinas - Stuart)

Varlamov
Pickard

and that team will be good to go for a 28th - 30th overall finish. Obviously an expansion draft will affect the team, so Skille may be in the team when "depth" disappears.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
I don't see Roy and Sakic sitting on their hands after missing two years in a row. Pieces will be moved (expecting one major trade/signing, and a couple smaller signings like Winchester, Redmond, etc.)

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Which core do you build around? Here are ages...keep in mind, if you throw in the towel next season and just try to "develop our young talent"...you might as well go out another 2-3 year before you are really competing again IMO. So tack another 2-3 years onto these ages and more expensive contracts as well if the younger guys develop properly.

OLD GUARD CORE (age by the end of this year in the four year span of between 24 and 28):
- Barrie: 25
- Johnson: 28
- Duchene: 25
- Landeskog: 24
- Varlamov: 28

The support group of guys we have in this age range is entirely mediocre...we have solid older guys like Soderberg and Beauchemin but in the 24-28 age range (which should be these guys prime years), we only have crap like Gelinas and Gormley.

NEW GUARD CORE (age by the end of this year in the four year span of between 17 and 21):
- Bigras: 21
- MacKinnon: 21
- Pickard: 23 (goalies take longer...he is clearly new guard)
- Rantanen: 20
- Zadorov: 21

With Support of:
- Compher: 20
- Grigorenko: 21
- Meloche: 19
- #10 2016 Draft Pick: 18/19
- Potential high pick in 2017: 17/18
- Husky Avs contigent, etc...

Granted not all these support pieces will pan out but there's hope.

I think "blending" these two core groups together is going to be difficult. The young guys aren't ready to lead while the older guys haven't led enough. The older guys have all becoming expensive. But if we want to compete now...if we want to take advantage of their primes like we all thought we'd be doing by now...then key pieces of the younger group will probably need to be sacrificed to upgrade the team. If we postpone trying to win...then deal off some of the old core for more assets and just admit we are taking a mulligan and doing he rebuild over...although we know that will not happen.

Radulov could be key because he gives us another core piece for no loss of assets plus it could allow us to "shuffle" the old core (via a 1-for-1 trade for a different core piece)...so we strengthen the old core to compete now and keep the younger core intact. I suppose trading Barrie and replacing him with an UFA like Yandle or Demers could have the same net bonus but in reverse...keeping us relatively on equal footing for the old core but also netting us a big additional piece for the younger core.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seems like Dallas might go hard after a goaler. Not saying I would do this, but if Avs do want to conduct a "shake up" trade...

Varlamov
Barrie
Rights to Aittokallio

for

Klingberg
Niemi
Nichushkin

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Landeskog - Mackinnon - Duchene
Grigorenko - Soderberg - Iginla
Comeau - Mitchell - Rantanen
Mcleod - Compher - Martinsen
(Skille)

Beauchemin - Johnson
Holden - Barrie
Zadorov - Bigras
(Gelinas - Stuart)

Varlamov
Pickard

They won't play Iggy in the top 6 but other than that, this lineup is a strong possibility.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
Signing Radulov likely creates some cap issues and there is fallout throughout the lineup because of that (trades and signings). That money can't be spent on D in free agency, so a different plan has to be hatched... which could involve moving a number of different players.

They are a media source... they have some. How much has yet to really be determined, but they will have some sources inside the organization and might be privy to some info that others don't have. That is coming from a person who has been hard on them.

Independent from them, the discussions did get pretty far on Drouin. I've heard varying ranges from different people, but the main theme of them all is that it was pretty close.

Insanely priced or would we have made out well?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You think so? Is it that far off? Personally I don't think Klingberg is an upgrade on Barrie by any means, which is probably why I value the trade as it is. Same with Nichushkin, he doesn't really have any sort of value as well (won't get the value of a 10th overall pick).

Plus Varlamov doesn't have weak value either, I might overrate his trade level, but this isn't Martin Jones, he will get an substantial more IMO.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
You think so? Is it that far off? Personally I don't think Klingberg is an upgrade on Barrie by any means, which is probably why I value the trade as it is. Same with Nichushkin, he doesn't really have any sort of value as well (won't get the value of a 10th overall pick).

Plus Varlamov doesn't have weak value either, I might overrate his trade level, but this isn't Martin Jones, he will get an substantial more IMO.

Doesn't Klingberg have a great contract? He's also definitely better defensively and possibly better offensively.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Doesn't Klingberg have a great contract? He's also definitely better defensively and possibly better offensively.

Yup. Klingberg is on a steal of a deal(Something like 4.0M for 5 or 6 years).

Although I disagree with your comparison to Barrie.

I actually think Barrie is better in his own end compared to Klingberg(He's got a lot of work to do in that department still) but offensively its not close.

The more I think about a Barrie/4th overall swap the more I think it makes sense for us. Losing Barrie will suck, but Dubois I think is a guy the Avs group are going to be drooling over. And it would enable us to draft a Dman at #10 since one of them will almost certainly be available at that spot I think.

It would definitely be a sign of a changing core for the Avs though. Instead of the core being Duchene/EJ/Varly/Landeskog/Mack/Barrie it would become Landy/Pickard/Mack/Rantanen/Dubois/Bigras/Sergachev/Zadorov

I think it would also probably mean we see Duchene traded as well this summer. Maybe even Varly if we find a fit. I think EJ sticks around regardless as a mentor on Defense and still capable of playing Top pairing minutes.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
4th+Yak+ for Barrie+10th

I think 4th OA > Barrie personally. Barrie is worth as much as Hamilton I think yes I know Hamilton has never got 50 points but he is younger.

10th >> Yak

our + fixes the missing > idk what though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad