Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ All Day

Jan 11, 2016
What would the plus be from NJ to move up from 4 to 1?

Ideas...

John Quenneville (drafted 30th 2014)

A second (35 oa) and your third back (63 oa)

Michael McLeod (drafted 12 last year)

What is a realistic plus to move up from 4 to 1?

Personally I like the draft pick idea. Avs can move down a couple spots and still draft a really good player plus get 2 more picks that are at or near the start of the round - one in the second and one in the third. Devils can hopefully draft the #1C they really need with the top pick.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011

Ideas...

Personally I like the draft pick idea. Avs can move down a couple spots and still draft a really good player plus get 2 more picks that are at or near the start of the round - one in the second and one in the third. Devils can hopefully draft the #1C they really need with the top pick.

Would probably require more than all 4 of those combined and even then I don't know if they should make that make that trade.

The drop off appears to be pretty big between 1 and 4.

I would think the Avs would look at

1 for 4 + 2018 1st + ?

But someone who knows the Devils better than me would probably have more opinions.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Ideas...

You'd have to combine all those pieces you just talked about and then keep going. I know you're thinking "you're insane" but that's going to be the case in this situation. The Avs are in the process of trying to move Duchene for a top young D. They have young D coming up through as prospects (many more than forwards) and they lack depth up front. Consider the hole left when Duchene goes and the fact that they have a possible future #1C in Patrick/Hischier sitting right in front of them and why would they ever trade that opportunity to move down all for a package of lesser (yet very good) pieces.

As I said earlier. The Avs are likely going into this draft drooling about the possibility to add a future #1C to their team. If you want them to move down and draft a defenseman instead you would be giving up a stupid overpayment that would not be worth it. It wont happen.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Ideas...

Avs are the team that needs Patrick the most and he's a perfect fit so it'd take a ridiculous overpay. 1 for 4+2018 1st+Mcleod. Also Avs would take the leftover of Tippett/Vilardi

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Yea moving up to number one in a draft always costs way more than you would expect. The value difference between #1 and #2 overall is even a big difference. That being said, most people on here expect us to be picking fourth anyways with the way everything has gone wrong this year

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008

Ideas...

Pretty sure the avs wouldn't be willing to pay what it costs to move from 4 to 1

On the off chance we win the lottery, the drop off from two to three this year essentially means you'd have to add something that hurts

iand22

Jun 6, 2014
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

Here's a link with a draft value chart from the flyers sbnation page. Not that I agree 100%, but moving up from 4 to 1 would require in addition at least the 6 pick or picks/players with that kind of value. Heck moving up from 2 to 1 would cost another mid 1st. Add in the fact that the perception is this year's class is fairly weak would make me less inclined to take a risk and move down.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

Ideas...

I don't hate it. I'll be the only one that says we need assets and depth more than stars
That being said I'd think Zacha would have to be added instead of one of MM or JQ

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
At this point, if the Avs don't win the lottery, are they the ones who will try to trade up?

Nah. The top two are in a class of their own, then IMO Vilardi and Mittelstadt are the next tier, and after that it gets murky with Tippett, Liljegren, Tolvanen, Rasmussen, etc. Worst case we get one of the second tier guys, and I'm a fan of both of them so I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade up considering the cost.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Avs can't trade 1/2. It's just too clear cut. 3/4, maybe. I have no idea how the rest of their (or anybody else's) board goes. If they've got Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Tippett, and Liljegren about the same, they might not mind taking the last guy and picking up another asset.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's a rather pointless discussion. When was the last time that a top 3 pick was traded pre-draft (not counting swapping a Sedin for Stefan)? These picks will not be traded.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Avs can't trade 1/2. It's just too clear cut. 3/4, maybe. I have no idea how the rest of their (or anybody else's) board goes. If they've got Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Tippett, and Liljegren about the same, they might not mind taking the last guy and picking up another asset.

It's a rather pointless discussion. When was the last time that a top 3 pick was traded pre-draft (not counting swapping a Sedin for Stefan)? These picks will not be traded.

Idk if there's any year or time to do it, this draft is it. Next year i could see absolutely not but there arent any lights out cant misses this year. And if some GM came at us with a top 5er and 3 more above avg assets id seriously consider it. Id probably chicken out when its all said and done cause like Balthazar said nobody trades a no. 1 pick. Its just not done.

Last edited:

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
IMO if the Avs don't pick top 2, you either trade the pick for the defensive help needed and keep Duchene and Lando....or you trade down with the pick and go for quantity to round out the system.

In a draft that seems to rank 3-15 in a scattershot order and 15-35ish in another scatter shot, trade down if the return is good.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Not saying the Yotes would do it but it might be something they consider.... if the Avs managed to win the lotto would you do the following?

Avs:
Ekman-Larsson

Yotes:
1st Overall (Patrick)
Barrie
Bigras
(throw in a few extras if that is what it takes)

Then turn around and do

Avs:
Faulk
Teravainen (RFA)
Cains 2nd Round Pick 2018 (Conditional to 2018 1st if Cains make playoffs)
Cains B tier prospect (not sure who that would be)

Cains:
Duchene
Grigorenko (RFA)

Teravainen-Mac-Rant
Lando-Soda-Oshie
Comeau-Jost-UFA
Nieto-Compher-Colburne

EL-EJ
Zadorov-Faulk
FB-UFA/prospect

Kick tires on Thorton or Marleau if they possibly would consider 1-2 year deals. Oshie would make a more realistic option, net him on a 3-4 year deal as the 2nd line RW.

If you manage to get super lucky and get Thorton on the right deal its not a concern, but the biggest question mark would be finding a 2nd/3rd line center as you let Jost mature. Maybe that is Soda, though you hope and pray that Vegas might do the Avs a solid and take him -- unlikely. If Soda is still around, you hope that Jost can take the 2nd line center job sooner than later.

Beyond that you look to UFA for a D partner for FB -- someone with some wheels -- and a 3rd line winger to help the 2 way game. A 7th/8th D man and a 4th line depth center is also in the cards on one year deals.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think the Canes are the team that has the most appealing ammo (draft picks and young Dmen) and possibly enough desire to move up to get a top prospect center. I also think they will consolidate a few of those assets into more core pieces.

They are currently sitting at the Avs favorite #10, but if they get a bit closer to the top 5 I could see them be aggressive going after Patrick/Hischier.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't make hat trade for OEL. I wouldn't move a whole pile of (young) assets to get someone Duchene's age and contract status, even if it is OEL. If we're moving number one, I'd only do it for someone like Hanifin with a small plus.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think the Canes are the team that has the most appealing ammo (draft picks and young Dmen) and possibly enough desire to move up to get a top prospect center. I also think they will consolidate a few of those assets into more core pieces.

They are currently sitting at the Avs favorite #10, but if they get a bit closer to the top 5 I could see them be aggressive going after Patrick/Hischier.

They would be getting Staal back basically. Should be a no brainer

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
We are not in position to give 3 good asset for one. We need more depth and quality. One player is gonna drown here just like Mack and Duchene.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Just keep the pick. There are no shortcuts in this rebuild. Get it right this time. I don't want to have to go through yet another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia