Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
As TV has pointed out, it is a real mistake in my mind for the Avs to trade out multiple asset pieces in exchange for one. The Avs are not one player or asset away from turning things around, they need to build organizational depth. I know that it is frustrating to fans that want a quick fix, but any attempted quick fix will set the organization back further in my mind.

On the bright side, the team is better than it has shown this season (it would almost have to be). The Avs are not a SC contender in the near term, but they still have some nice pieces in place and their prospect pool continues to improve.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
IMO if the Avs don't pick top 2, you either trade the pick for the defensive help needed and keep Duchene and Lando....or you trade down with the pick and go for quantity to round out the system.

In a draft that seems to rank 3-15 in a scattershot order and 15-35ish in another scatter shot, trade down if the return is good.

It's the same for everyone. The team picking #9 won't be interested to give up decent picks and stuff to "upgrade" to #4.

Either we pick at 1-2 if we're lucky or 3-4 if we're unlucky. There will be no trade.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
As TV has pointed out, it is a real mistake in my mind for the Avs to trade out multiple asset pieces in exchange for one. The Avs are not one player or asset away from turning things around, they need to build organizational depth. I know that it is frustrating to fans that want a quick fix, but any attempted quick fix will set the organization back further in my mind.

On the bright side, the team is better than it has shown this season (it would almost have to be). The Avs are not a SC contender in the near term, but they still have some nice pieces in place and their prospect pool continues to improve.

I agree, but you could also make the argument that the Avs have already kept their top pick and just picked that one guy and look were we are at. They've already done that. Dont get me wrong i m not just gonna give up the top two picks for some junk but maybe we change our strategy a bit from the past and entertain the idea of getting more higher end or as high end assets as we could get by auctioning off the top pick

now if they have a deal in place to trade Dutchy at the draft reliant on them getting a top 2 pick (cause why trade him now if your dealing with the 4th pick)then keep the pick and go with either NP, Hisch or Vilardi

FALAPARK17

Colorado Avalanche
Jul 10, 2015
Winnipeg
Not saying the Yotes would do it but it might be something they consider.... if the Avs managed to win the lotto would you do the following?

Avs:
Ekman-Larsson

Yotes:
1st Overall (Patrick)
Barrie
Bigras
(throw in a few extras if that is what it takes)

Then turn around and do

Avs:
Faulk
Teravainen (RFA)
Cains 2nd Round Pick 2018 (Conditional to 2018 1st if Cains make playoffs)
Cains B tier prospect (not sure who that would be)

Cains:
Duchene
Grigorenko (RFA)

Teravainen-Mac-Rant
Lando-Soda-Oshie
Comeau-Jost-UFA
Nieto-Compher-Colburne

EL-EJ
Zadorov-Faulk
FB-UFA/prospect

Kick tires on Thorton or Marleau if they possibly would consider 1-2 year deals. Oshie would make a more realistic option, net him on a 3-4 year deal as the 2nd line RW.

If you manage to get super lucky and get Thorton on the right deal its not a concern, but the biggest question mark would be finding a 2nd/3rd line center as you let Jost mature. Maybe that is Soda, though you hope and pray that Vegas might do the Avs a solid and take him -- unlikely. If Soda is still around, you hope that Jost can take the 2nd line center job sooner than later.

Beyond that you look to UFA for a D partner for FB -- someone with some wheels -- and a 3rd line winger to help the 2 way game. A 7th/8th D man and a 4th line depth center is also in the cards on one year deals.

That's way too much for OEL.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Ive said it before but don't forget we have a quality issue in addition to quantity. Taking a top 4 pick and trading it in for four quarters doesn't really help either. We need NHL players and keeping the pick near guarantees that. Moving down makes that and their NHL ceilings more uncertain. They just have to execute that Duchene trade to get the extra picks.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
There's also like 5 -6 fwds on this active roster that cant be here anymore if we want to compete
So i guess we need like...6 1st overall picks and it should work out right?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
That's way too much for OEL.

Why does the team want OEL when his contract has 2 years remaining to UFA?

The same contract length for trading Duchene, the team will take 3-4 years before they become relevant and he will be gone. Trade Duchene for prospects or keep him on the hopes he resigns.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
With Duchene's play down the stretch I'm beginning to think he's not tradable in the near future. Better hope he gets over his mental illness before next season then trade him at the deadline. He's cutting off his nose despite his face right now.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
With Duchene's play down the stretch I'm beginning to think he's not tradable in the near future. Better hope he gets over his mental illness before next season then trade him at the deadline. He's cutting off his nose despite his face right now.

They may have to hold off trading Duchene if finishes this season on the same pace. Teams are not going to offer fair value for him based on his offensive play over the last course of the season.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
knowing this team, I`m quite confident the Avs are among the very few teams that have not contacted Aston-Reese. :(

I`m pretty sure he could come and be the second best winger on this team right off the bat.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
knowing this team, I`m quite confident the Avs are among the very few teams that have not contacted Aston-Reese. :(

I`m pretty sure he could come and be the second best winger on this team right off the bat.

And what, take a veteran UFA's spot in the lineup? Nope! :sarcasm:

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Not saying the Yotes would do it but it might be something they consider.... if the Avs managed to win the lotto would you do the following?

Avs:
Ekman-Larsson

Yotes:
1st Overall (Patrick)
Barrie
Bigras
(throw in a few extras if that is what it takes)

Then turn around and do

Avs:
Faulk
Teravainen (RFA)
Cains 2nd Round Pick 2018 (Conditional to 2018 1st if Cains make playoffs)
Cains B tier prospect (not sure who that would be)

Cains:
Duchene
Grigorenko (RFA)

Teravainen-Mac-Rant
Lando-Soda-Oshie
Comeau-Jost-UFA
Nieto-Compher-Colburne

EL-EJ
Zadorov-Faulk
FB-UFA/prospect

Kick tires on Thorton or Marleau if they possibly would consider 1-2 year deals. Oshie would make a more realistic option, net him on a 3-4 year deal as the 2nd line RW.

If you manage to get super lucky and get Thorton on the right deal its not a concern, but the biggest question mark would be finding a 2nd/3rd line center as you let Jost mature. Maybe that is Soda, though you hope and pray that Vegas might do the Avs a solid and take him -- unlikely. If Soda is still around, you hope that Jost can take the 2nd line center job sooner than later.

Beyond that you look to UFA for a D partner for FB -- someone with some wheels -- and a 3rd line winger to help the 2 way game. A 7th/8th D man and a 4th line depth center is also in the cards on one year deals.

That yotes trade is atrocious. Stopped reading after that in all honesty.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Sadly I think even if they have, there is little incentive to come here.

the Avs can offer burning that first year by letting him play out this season in the NHL and clearly have plenty of opportunities (almost locks) for him to win a full time spot going into next season, but this train wreck won't look very good to a guy who can pick his spot and get much the same offer elsewhere.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs try to sign college players but they aren't willing to do enough to close the deal. I don't expect it to change in the future. We'll hear that Avs were in on them and then they sign with Rangers or Oilers who are willing to promise spots on the team while Avs aren't.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Avs try to sign college players but they aren't willing to do enough to close the deal. I don't expect it to change in the future. We'll hear that Avs were in on them and then they sign with Rangers or Oilers who are willing to promise spots on the team while Avs aren't.

You know, this narrative is totally baseless. They have been in on multiple collegiate FA's and most of those players choose to go to the team of their choice. Most of those kids would want to be a part of a team with a generational talent like McDavid, on an iconic team like the Rangers, or part of a team that is already in the playoff hunt. It's not just about them being promised something, and even if it was, I am glad we have a GM that views them as rookies that need to earn a roster spot in the NHL.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's not baseless, that's exactly how it went down between the Avs and Hayes. Even without that knowledge, when there's so many years of trying but no doing then you can fill in your own blanks. If we are not anyone's first choice, that's not an excuse, then you make a better offer. Just sitting around saying hey we tried but we aren't anyone's first choice isn't good enough.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Wait have they even made an offer(s)? I can't remember the last time I heard or read 'the Avs are in on college FA X' and I definetely don't remember the last time I heard 'it's down to the Avs and teams x,y,z for FA ___'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad