Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Really hope that Barzal is not untouchable if we are really considering a trade with the Isles.

A forward/d-men combo of Harmonic/Barzal+ or Pulock/Nelson++ seem like acceptable starting points than adding + or ++ more assets out of 2017 1st, MDC, Sorokin, Pelech etc.

An established player (Harmonic or Nelson) plus futures would be most favorable. I just don't think the prospects they are offering are as great as say Sergachev.

Last edited:

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Not sure why the Avs would badly want Hamonic...I suppose it would indicate they aren't really rebuilding, just trying to quickly turn things around within two years.

Avs could move Hamonic for someone like Trouba. Wasn't Hamonic wanting to go to Winnipeg?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Avs could move Hamonic for someone like Trouba. Wasn't Hamonic wanting to go to Winnipeg?

The Jets aren't moving Trouba unless Trouba still badly wants out. He's their best defender, and he's getting to play on the right side which was apparently one of his complaints.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Not sure why the Avs would badly want Hamonic...I suppose it would indicate they aren't really rebuilding, just trying to quickly turn things around within two years.

Because they'd be acquiring a d-man that can PLAY DEFENSE!!!! (I know..crazy, right?)

It doesn't matter that he's had an off year, happens to most players every now and then. He's a very good #3 on a great contract. Gives us some options with Barrie and would be a phenomenal partner for Zadorov.

For me, any deal with the Islanders HAS to include Barzal & Hamonic or else no deal.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Sadly it seems islanders fans are just as bad as sens fans. Now we should be thanking them for giving us nelson. I mean he only has 2 less points than duchene

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Because they'd be acquiring a d-man that can PLAY DEFENSE!!!! (I know..crazy, right?)

It doesn't matter that he's had an off year, happens to most players every now and then. He's a very good #3 on a great contract. Gives us some options with Barrie and would be a phenomenal partner for Zadorov.

For me, any deal with the Islanders HAS to include Barzal & Hamonic or else no deal.

And he'll be 27 next year, which is what I was referring to. I figured the Avs would want someone much close to MacKinnon's age.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
And he'll be 27 next year, which is what I was referring to. I figured the Avs would want someone much close to MacKinnon's age.

Ideally yes, however NYI really dont have that player. While getting a young top pair potential Dman would make a ton of sense, there is also some to getting a proven top 4 dman that would shore up the D right now.

If the Avs get Hamonic, who fits what the Avs are looking for it gives them a defensive solution for the next 4 years at least which gives the Avs time to draft and develop some long term solutions for D and gives them a more stable base to build the team on than a Dman that would take 2+ years to make it to the league and has a chance to bust.

They also still get young pieces in Barzal and the 1st (which is likely to be the highest of picks they could get) which fit in with the rebuild. The Avs will need good young offensive players as well as D and can give Jost and extra year to develop.

The main drawback from getting a more ready Dman is it could make the Avs bounce back next year a good amount (As a D of Zads/EJ, Barrie/Hamonic is really solid) which could cost them a high end pick next year which may not be best.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Despite what many people here seem to believe, teams are rarely built with everyone in the same age group. For one, forwards and d-men reach their peaks at different ages and it's pretty tough with teams mostly building through the drafts now to accomplish that anyways.

The facts are : this team needs to get better and we need to improve our D. We need to do it for the fans, to put butts in the seats but we also need to do it for the players we currently have on the team right now that we want to keep. (How long until a key player we're counting on, demands a trade out of here if we keep sucking donkey butt?)

I realize that everyone wants Sergachev, as if at age 19, he's going to come into the NHL and be the answer to all of our problems but the reality is that he's likely a good 2-3 years away from having a significant impact. What the hell do we do until then? Keep stinking it up? While there's a chance that happens regardless, I would hope Avs management have a real plan to turn this around in a major way.

Part of that, is gradually adding pieces that is going to allow you to be successful. People seem to think that any trade for Duchene needs to absolutely include that bonafide #1 D-man that we've been searching for. Even if we DO end up getting that prospect, one player cannot do it alone. Add the very best D-man in the league to this team this season and substract Duchene and you still don't have a playoff team. We need help in a lot of areas. I believe Hamonic & Barzal address a few of those.

Like I've said before, Barzal is the real prize for me, I just love that kid.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

WPG probably wont move Trouba within the division. He would be the absolute best case scenario for the Avs though. Kid is a stud.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I can see the logic in the not every D we get has to be 24 and under argument but Hamonic is 3 years to UFA, Duchene is 2 years to UFA. Does that really help us build something? The other pieces would have to be pretty good to offset that risk or else we are just moving one problem from one side to the other.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Ideally yes, however NYI really dont have that player. While getting a young top pair potential Dman would make a ton of sense, there is also some to getting a proven top 4 dman that would shore up the D right now.

If the Avs get Hamonic, who fits what the Avs are looking for it gives them a defensive solution for the next 4 years at least which gives the Avs time to draft and develop some long term solutions for D and gives them a more stable base to build the team on than a Dman that would take 2+ years to make it to the league and has a chance to bust.

They also still get young pieces in Barzal and the 1st (which is likely to be the highest of picks they could get) which fit in with the rebuild. The Avs will need good young offensive players as well as D and can give Jost and extra year to develop.

The main drawback from getting a more ready Dman is it could make the Avs bounce back next year a good amount (As a D of Zads/EJ, Barrie/Hamonic is really solid) which could cost them a high end pick next year which may not be best.

YES very much THIS!!! Well said.

As for the main drawbacks, I get what you're saying but there are never any guarantees with the draft anyways. This year, there's a good chance we're drafting 4th...next year, who the hell knows. We could be drafting at a number where a forward again makes the most sense...OR we could finish with 12th best chance and win the frikkin' lottery.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Wonder if there's a bit of an arms race coming in the east. Washington just made a statement - do teams like the Pens and Jackets try to match?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I can see the logic in the not every D we get has to be 24 and under argument but Hamonic is 3 years to UFA, Duchene is 2 years to UFA. Does that really help us build something? The other pieces would have to be pretty good to offset that risk or else we are just moving one problem from one side to the other.

I've stated on numerous occasions that Barzal is the real prize but man, you have got to stop thinking that every single player that is on an expiring contract in 2,3,4 years is already packing their crap to get the hell out of town. Re-signing players does happen you know....sometimes...and even if it doesn't then you're looking at Barzal who is likely a top-6 forward, the 1st round pick and then the return you'd be getting by shipping out Hamonic after 2 years of service.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I've stated on numerous occasions that Barzal is the real prize but man, you have got to stop thinking that every single player that is on an expiring contract in 2,3,4 years is already packing their crap to get the hell out of town. Re-signing players does happen you know....sometimes...and even if it doesn't then you're looking at Barzal who is likely a top-6 forward, the 1st round pick and then the return you'd be getting by shipping out Hamonic after 2 years of service.

Not to mention, he would be a good shelter for the young D we already have instead of throwing them to the wolves because we have nothing better. Three years of Hamonic is worth something in and of itself even though we won't sniff a championship in that time.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I like Barzal a lot so I'm not going to disagree there. It's just smart business to look at the finite amount of time someone would be under team control and how that aligns with one's organizational plan. If they get a resigning then that's a nice bonus but I'd rather operate under the known timeline one has rather than staking their plan on hopes of getting someone to stick around. This is what they have lacked, a true plan of where they want to be in 3-5 years and how to get there. It seems as if every year they operate under the "are we better next year" plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad