Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
...but since you guys are scouting the Barracuda pretty heavily three games in a row (Barracuda played against San Antonio, so presumably you scouted them well then), I figure I'd help you guys out by giving you a quick run down.

Hope I could help!

I'm an outsider here but saw your post and thought I'd ask a quick question:

What about the goalie Troy Grosenick? He seems to be doing OK.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
About Barrie. I think Zadorov runs the PP better than him. Faster, better passes and he can shoot the puck.

If the $5.5M offensive defenseman isn't a great outlet passer or can run a PP well, wouldn't it make more sense to let him do his dancing elsewhere, if the trade return is great? Avs main problem is first pass from defenders and neither EJ or Barrie can bring it. EJ is hard to move. Barrie isn't.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Kinda random but you know one guy I wouldn't mind shipping out even though most of you like him and I myself don't have a problem with? McLeod. The guy's survived 3 (4 I don't remember Granato) bad coaches and bad teams and is still here lol.

I mean if you're going for a change then it includes that. He might be considered a good locker room guy but if there's something wrong with the make-up of your team then you wanna get that roster turnover right? Plus some GM going on a playoff run might fess up a late draft pick for him or Martinsen, I'd honestly see that trade more likely than moving Beuchemin or even possibly Iggy without retaining a tonne of salary.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
About Barrie. I think Zadorov runs the PP better than him. Faster, better passes and he can shoot the puck.

If the $5.5M offensive defenseman isn't a great outlet passer or can run a PP well, wouldn't it make more sense to let him do his dancing elsewhere, if the trade return is great? Avs main problem is first pass from defenders and neither EJ or Barrie can bring it. EJ is hard to move. Barrie isn't.

I 100% agree. Actually, I think Gelinas would be better too. I'm basing this completely off what I saw in NJ and not his time in Colorado but he was a good pp player and not just because of his shot. He moves the puck well around the offensive zone. It's unfortunate that he hasn't been given a fair opportunity. Even the few times he has been I've noticed Mackinnon being hesitant to give him the puck and tries to keep it low instead.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I 100% agree. Actually, I think Gelinas would be better too. I'm basing this completely off what I saw in NJ and not his time in Colorado but he was a good pp player and not just because of his shot. He moves the puck well around the offensive zone. It's unfortunate that he hasn't been given a fair opportunity. Even the few times he has been I've noticed Mackinnon being hesitant to give him the puck and tries to keep it low instead.

While I agree with this stuff, Barrie can come off the PP when hes traded. The last thing we need to do is tank his value as well.

Fortunately it's possible to run two defenders on the PP lol.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My theory: Barrie will be traded for a forward and Sakic wants to have more dmen before making the trade. Trading Barrie now would make Sakic look like he's even more desperate to get defensive help in front of other GMs.

Maybe but that wouldn't stop trade talks or rumors.

There's a million rumors about Duchene and Landeksog. A bunch for Iggy. Some for Beauch. None for Barrie.

Kind of interesting.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
In that order:

1- Lindholm
2- Hanifin
3A- Sergachev
3B- Chabot
5- McAvoy

I approve this message. If the Avs end up trading friggen Matt Duchene and Gabriel Landeskog and one of these names are not in our organization I'm going to be pretty depressed. Though I'd add a few to the bottom of the list (Trouba)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I approve this message. If the Avs end up trading friggen Matt Duchene and Gabriel Landeskog and one of these names are not in our organization I'm going to be pretty depressed. Though I'd add a few to the bottom of the list (Trouba)

Yeah there's the "plan B" list with Hamonic, Trouba and Faulk.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm an outsider here but saw your post and thought I'd ask a quick question:

What about the goalie Troy Grosenick? He seems to be doing OK.

Strange that you're asking here instead of coming to the Sharks forum, but I'll answer. :laugh:

Grosenick is not a future NHLer. Of course this is just my opinion, but from what I've seen he isn't not a future NHLer. He got really hot over the past month and then got picked to the All-Star Game. He's 27 and this is 4th NHL season, but only the first he's had a save percentage significantly over .900. We're just hoping he can be a good AHL goaltender, as goaltending is an organizational weakness after Jones and the Barracuda are real Calder Cup contenders if he is.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My theory: Barrie will be traded for a forward and Sakic wants to have more dmen before making the trade. Trading Barrie now would make Sakic look like he's even more desperate to get defensive help in front of other GMs.

Yeah I've had the same feeling since Barrie was signed. Like they just bought themselves more time to move him with his contract.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Canes fans seem to think that Landy would be a better fit for them than Duchene. Mainly because they are building long term and Duchene is only signed for 2 more years. They are worried that he might not want to re-sign with them, while Landy is signed for longer. I understand their point.

Would you trade Landy for Hanifin, one for one, nothing added on either side? (RyJo for Jones type of trade).

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
I like Zboril and I think he'd immediately become our best D prospect but you can't have him as the main piece in a Landeskog trade. Hopefully the Avs look elsewhere.

Yeah. Absolutely no reason to trade Landeskog if you are not getting something better as the main piece. Its not like the Avs have to trade him anyway.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Maybe but that wouldn't stop trade talks or rumors.

There's a million rumors about Duchene and Landeksog. A bunch for Iggy. Some for Beauch. None for Barrie.

Kind of interesting.

That is because Barrie sucks. Scouts aren't stupid they see that -21 and can put 2 and 2 together. Guy simply can not be relied upon to play competent defense.

At least he is still putting up points, he is still on pace for 45 points. So hopefully some team will give us a bag of pucks or something for him.

That contract is a killer. You can't pay 5.5M per for one dimensional players.

At this point I'd seriously be OK with getting a B rate prospect for Barrie, just so we can rid ourselves of that awful contract.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Canes fans seem to think that Landy would be a better fit for them than Duchene. Mainly because they are building long term and Duchene is only signed for 2 more years. They are worried that he might not want to re-sign with them, while Landy is signed for longer. I understand their point.

Would you trade Landy for Hanifin, one for one, nothing added on either side? (RyJo for Jones type of trade).

I'd drive Landy to the airport myself to get Hanifin.

Canes wouldn't touch that deal with a 10 ft. pole. If we want Hanifin we probably have to give them Duchene.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd drive Landy to the airport myself to get Hanifin.

Canes wouldn't touch that deal with a 10 ft. pole. If we want Hanifin we probably have to give them Duchene.

The difference between Landy and Duchene is not a team not touching one with a 10 foot pole and the other being a good trade. Some teams probably actually value Landeskog over Duchene.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013

Absolutely! The Avs need a trade like this badly and have created this mess themselves. You just can't be drafting forwards only with all of the 1st rounders and expect that the roster is balanced or that the D will magically fix itself. It is pure lunacy.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

yes.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think people need to take a step back from the ledge when it comes to Landeskog and Duchene.

With the way the team has performed they should be on the market. It doesn't mean that we will end up trading them. We're just letting everyone know that they are available.

Knowing this, one would have to assume that Sakic is probably fielding calls from 29 GMs right now. Players of this caliber don't appear on the market often. Just because we're hearing that Boston and LA seem to be aggressive doesn't mean that we are going to make a deal with one of them. If Sakic doesn't like what he is hearing he can just say no thanks and wait for something he does like hearing. If he holds out long enough these teams might crack and offer more. Plus by waiting more teams will inevitably enter the sweepstakes thus starting a bidding war.

There is no pressure on Sakic to make a deal fast. He is in the drivers seat, and it's pretty clear he knows this or he would have made a panic move awhile ago.

Sakic isn't going to move players of this quality, unless he knows he is getting the deal he wants. I doubt there will be any settling on something less, just to get a deal done.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The difference between Landy and Duchene is not a team not touching one with a 10 foot pole and the other being a good trade. Some teams probably actually value Landeskog over Duchene.

I personally think that Duchene holds a fair amount more value than Landeskog around the league. And rightfully so, Duchene is just a better player.

Some teams might need a Landeskog type player more, but that doesn't mean he has more overall value. It just means that particular team could use a player closer to his style.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I personally think that Duchene holds a fair amount more value than Landeskog around the league. And rightfully so, Duchene is just a better player.

Some teams might need a Landeskog type player more, but that doesn't mean he has more overall value. It just means that particular team could use a player closer to his style.

The value is close, if not equal. Players like Landy (power forward, 2-way) historically are gold and extremely sought after. He's still young and signed long term. Duchene might be "better" but this type of player is more common and more easily replaced.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

In the end I wouldn't cry, but I've never been as high on Hanifin as some. Yeah he made the NHL early, but hes playing a fairly limited role in his second season. The hype train is strong with that one IMO...

I'd rather have Sergachev and the plusses Montreal may be willing to add since he isn't in the NHL yet.

I personally don't like it one for one for Landeskog.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
In the end I wouldn't cry, but I've never been as high on Hanifin as some. Yeah he made the NHL early, but hes playing a fairly limited role in his second season. The hype train is strong with that one IMO...

I'd rather have Sergachev and the plusses Montreal may be willing to add since he isn't in the NHL yet.

I personally don't like it one for one for Landeskog.

Oh boy do we disagree on that one :P.

I feel the exact opposite. Hanifin is 15 months older than Sergachev and already so far ahead of him that it is not even funny.

I personally have soured on Sergachev quite a bit. There are IMO legit questions about his hockey IQ and how well he can translate his game to the next level.

He really has not been impressive at all this season so far. He looked lost with the Habs (remember. Hanifin had no problem cracking a very decent blueline last year), IMO did not impress at all during the WJC and hasn't lit the world on fire in junior either.

He has all the tools but I personally doubt right now that he will reach his potential.

Hanifin on the other hand already is a #3/4 on a decent team. He might not have the sky high offensive potential or flair of Werenski right now and he still makes his fair share of mistakes but he is still on his way to being a great D.

I mean he will only turn 20 this month. His trajectory IMO is very similar to the one of Seth Jones before he got traded right now.

That is why I would love to get him right now before he takes the next step. Who knows if he will progress the way Jones did but if he does, we won't have a chance in hell of getting him.

Sergachev? I don't see him in the NHL anytime soon. Again. He has sky high potential so I would not be mad if we traded for him but I think he is pretty overrated in here right now and has a long way to go before he will be in the NHL.

But that is just me.
And young Ds are notoriously unpredictable.

I would have laughed at you if you had told me a year ago, that Boston wouldn't want to trade Carlo for Landeskog in 2017.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad