Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
What would the Avalanche of Colorado want from the habs for him, assuming there's either a 50% retention or none at all.

The price will be pretty low. Most Avs fans would probably get rid of him for anything :laugh: Management probably wants a low pick, 3rd rounder is probably too rich for anyone who has seen Iggy play this season. Then again he is a big name and GMs can get blinded by that, hopefully.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I bet Iginla goes for a 2nd round pick straight up, or a 2nd+4th if the Avs retain salary.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Hello Avs fans! I'm sure you guys noticed Friedman said (or spread a rumour) that Iginla would be willing to waive his NCM to go to a contender.

What would the Avalanche of Colorado want from the habs for him, assuming there's either a 50% retention or none at all.

With a 50% retention, I am sure the Avs would ask for more (probably not too steep of a price). Without retention, I suspect the Avs would take a "future considerations" type of trade. I think Sakic will try to help his buddy out and get him to a team that Iggy wants to go to.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Hello Avs fans! I'm sure you guys noticed Friedman said (or spread a rumour) that Iginla would be willing to waive his NCM to go to a contender.

An apology.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Oh I know that they can't sign Duchene yet but they need to decide what they are doing and take the temperature so to speak by this summer. I'm seriously very concerned they'll let it slide into a pending UFA situation.

I don't think you need to be concerned with that TV. They didn't do that with ROR or Barrie. They only did that with Stastny and that was a special situation. It was a combination of being in the middle of their first successful season in a long time and not wanting to ruin that, combined with talking with him at the deadline and thinking they were close to a deal, combined with the UFA prices being dirt poor because Snow killed the market by holding off on trading Vanek.

That combination is highly unlikely to repeat. Not to mention Duchene will have more value than Stastny, and they know they can't lose him for nothing. Just like they knew they couldn't lose ROR for nothing.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think you need to be concerned with that TV. They didn't do that with ROR or Barrie. They only did that with Stastny and that was a special situation. It was a combination of being in the middle of their first successful season in a long time, with the UFA prices being dirt poor because Snow killed the market by holding off on trading Vanek.

That combination is highly unlikely to repeat. Not to mention Duchene will have more value than Stastny, and they know they can't lose him for nothing. Just like they knew they couldn't lose ROR for nothing.

The ROR situation wasn't an ideal position to be in either. Im not talking about what happened to Stastny in his pending UFA year. We absolutely can't get to that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The ROR situation wasn't an ideal position to be in either. Im not talking about what happened to Stastny in his pending UFA year. We absolutely can't get to that.

IMO they handled that fine. They waited until close to the last minute to sign him (in terms of when his value was highest and the team trading for him could still sign him) and still got good value for him.

Also Duchene may not be willing to take another home town discount, but I don't think he'll overshoot his value, or take a hardline negotiating stance the way ROR and Newport did either.

Not that I'm saying either way whether they should trade Duchene now or wait.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
IMO they handled that fine. They waited until close to the last minute to sign him (in terms of when his value was highest and the team trading for him could still sign him) and still got good value for him.

Also Duchene may not be willing to take another home town discount, but I don't think he'll overshoot his value, or take a hardline negotiating stance the way ROR and Newport did either.

That's not really what I'm getting at, I'm not speaking of specifics. I'm still on record saying they got a very good return for ROR. I'm talking more about how they need to plan for the future, something they did not do with stastny's free agency looming.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
^At what point do you start to wonder if Duchene would want out? The guy obviously wants to be a winner, and he has played all of 8 playoff games in the NHL. If I was Duchene, I would not be re-signing a new contract a year early unless the team had just made the playoffs and was playing a good brand of hockey.

If it came down to it, I'm sure Duchene would value winning over his childhood love of the Avs. No one wants to be the next Shane Doan.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

They traded him at the last second. I really would not say they handled that fine.

That 2 year deal straight to UFA should have never, ever happened. I hope they learned from that.

Thank god we had Murray desperate to do something available Otherwise that could have gotten ugly. And we probably still lost that trade.

TV is exactly right. We can't afford that wait and see approach anylonger. Our players no longer should have the right to free agency or whatever Sakic called it with Stastny.
They either re-sign a year before they can go to UFA, or they get traded right away.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's not really what I'm getting at, I'm not speaking of specifics. I'm still on record saying they got a very good return for ROR. I'm talking more about how they need to plan for the future, something they did not do with stastny's free agency looming.

I see. Well I think that planning for the future involves two decisions. The first decision is whether they want to move forward with Duchene past this year and continue to build with him, or move him for a D man and reset. Then if they decide to keep him the next decision down the line will be how much they're willing to spend to extend him, or move him for assets. Then it gets into the ROR situation.

They only have to worry about the first decision right now though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I see. Well I think that planning for the future involves two decisions. Whether they want to move forward with Duchene past this year and continue to build with him, or move him for a D man and reset. Then if they decide to keep him the next decision down the line will be how much they're willing to spend to extend him, or move him for assets. Then it gets into the ROR situation.

They only have to worry about the first decision right now though.

Yep, that's what I mean. So they don't have to decide today but they do by this summer.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
^At what point do you start to wonder if Duchene would want out? The guy obviously wants to be a winner, and he has played all of 8 playoff games in the NHL. If I was Duchene, I would not be re-signing a new contract a year early unless the team had just made the playoffs and was playing a good brand of hockey.

If it came down to it, I'm sure Duchene would value winning over his childhood love of the Avs. No one wants to be the next Shane Doan.

I don't think Duchene necessarily wants out, but finally after the way last season played out, and especially now, I don't think it would crush him as much if he was moved. It's been miserable for him. I'm sure there's part of him that would welcome the change.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Duchene would do better on another team but not because he's dogging it here but more that he's stuck in a rut and his own fandom/expectations screws it up for him here.

Barrie on the other hand I wonder if he's resentful of the arbitration. Looks very unengaged.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Friedman didn't exactly say Iginla wants out and will waive his NMC but it was still good to hear the Avs will look to move him if he's willing. Maybe that's an obvious scenario but you can never be so sure with the Avs. Hopefully it happens.

Beauchemin is the one they need to be a lot more aggressive with. Try to get him to waive and then get rid of him. Maybe keep him around for a little while because he's a great tank commander but move him at some point this season. It's probably going to be tough to do though.

Yetti090

Jul 1, 2014
Manchester, England
Problem is not our core. Problem is our GM who doesn't put any pieces around them. No idea why people call for Dutchy to be traded when he isn't and hasn't been the problem. How about giving him ANYONE to skate with? Honestly outside of #9, #29, #96, #6, #4, and #31, this whole team is trash.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Problem is not our core. Problem is our GM who doesn't put any pieces around them. No idea why people call for Dutchy to be traded when he isn't and hasn't been the problem. How about giving him ANYONE to skate with? Honestly outside of #9, #29, #96, #6, #4, and #31, this whole team is trash.

#4 has been trash this season too.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't trust Garrioch at all but if we can get a good young piece for Varly, what's the hold up? Do it.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I don't trust Garrioch at all but if we can get a good young piece for Varly, what's the hold up? Do it.

This season could turn really, really ugly (I mean it already has but it always can get worse) if Varly gets traded and Pickard can't handle starter minutes. I am personally not sold on Pickard and I am not sure that Avs management/coaching is either the way they keep going back to Varly.

I really don't think they will wave the white flag 26 games in unless they get really good value right now (which is doubtful).

I think this would be a move closer to the deadline if a team with a questionable or injured goalie wants Varly to get over the (playoff) hump.

I also really do not see any viable destination for him right now to be honest.
Who needs a goalie, can afford Varlys contract and is in a serious playoff hunt?
Why not trade for MAF instead?

Yetti090

Jul 1, 2014
Manchester, England
This season could turn really, really ugly (I mean it already has but it always can get worse) if Varly gets traded and Pickard can't handle starter minutes. I am personally not sold on Pickard and I am not sure that Avs management/coaching is either the way they keep going back to Varly.

I really don't think they will wave the white flag 26 games in unless they get really good value (which is doubtful).

I think this would be a move closer to the deadline if a team with a questionable or injured goalie wants Varly to get over the (playoff) hump.

I also really do not see any viable destination for him right now to be honest.
Who needs a goalie, can afford Varlys contract and is in a serious playoff hunt?
Why not trade for MAF instead?

I could see Carolina, NY Islanders, Dallas, and Calgary all being interested in him. Problem being is that Varly's value is the lowest it has probably ever been since he joined us

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
People can want to move a core piece without the core piece being the issue. The Avs have to find a way to realistically build a team... that will likely involve a core piece being shipped out. The combination of biggest return and expendable is Duchene. Varly is more expendable, but he isn't likely to get as big of a return. The situation the Avs are in is not really either of their faults (though they have contributed), but that really shouldn't matter when trying to build a team. Focus on the parts you need to find and build around... then stick to that path. For far too long the Avs have switched directions. I may not agree with a direction they eventually choose, but one needs to be chosen and stuck to.

It is probably too late to get much for Varly. There was a chance this summer, but that ship has now sailed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

If they can find a way to improve the D, and keep their high draft picks, and keep the forward depth, and not move Duchene, then that's obviously the best way to do it.

Problem is that's incredibly difficult. UFA doesn't have enough high end talent to help, and the players cost top dollar. That leaves trades or the draft to address the problem.

To add to the problem, they've waited so long to fix this that some of the core guys like Duchene and Varly aren't too far away from UFA. Even Barrie only has three years left.

So can they fix the problem in the next few years while these guys are on good contracts, or will it extend into their next contracts where they're more expensive? The smart money is on it taking more than a few years.

If they can fix it through trade it will be quicker, but how do you bring in top players without moving out any top players?

If they fix it through the draft, then it for sure will take more than a few years. Then you can see why they're contemplating moving Duchene, who only has two years left after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad