Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Drouin 2016-17 Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Was he checked out during the World Championship too? 'Cause that dude got scratched multiple times.

He started on the second line there too and went from there to a healthy scratch. If he can't get motivated to help his country win gold then his problems go deeper than what happened here.

I don't think he should be relegated to 4th line duty either and I think he should be on 2nd unit PP at least but t is a troubling situation.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
The simple fact of the matter is that we have Soderberg, and we have to make use of him unless by some unlikely maneuver we manage to get rid of him. If that means "misusing" him on the PP and as a scoring line center, so be it. We have proof that he can be effective there. Burying him on the 4th line isn't a realistic option. You have to work with him to figure out how to make the best of the situation.

Exactly, or try to deal him to a team that needs a player like him in return for a less-skilled, but more defensive effective forward.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Elliott Friedman, on NHL Net, brought up Jussi Parkkila and Cory Hirsch, and mentioned the reports about the one guy from earlier. Said he wouldnt be surprised if it was Parkkila, who has ties to Varly, Bobrovsky and the KHL.

member 116861

Elliott Friedman, on NHL Net, brought up Jussi Parkkila and Cory Hirsch, and mentioned the reports about the one guy from earlier. Said he wouldnt be surprised if it was Parkkila, who has ties to Varly, Bobrovsky and the KHL.

I remember the last time we tried a Canucks goalie as our coach.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Just what we need, the guy who doesn't know what the outer roll of the pad is for. Still though if he were willing to be full time I'd be happy.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
But he's a poor-man's 2C. He'd be better as a wing where his many faults and failings would be minimized. That's why I said make him the next Mikael Samuelsson. Samuelsson was the NHL equivalent of that kid in the Mighty Ducks they literally towed onto the ice just so he could shoot. That's all Samuelsson was good for...and that's all Soderberg is good for as well.

I'm exaggerating here but you get the point. In fact I'm pretty sure Samuelsson was better defensively than Sortaberg.

Anyhow, the Avs have WAY too many good options at C even if they trade away Duchene to settle for Carl taking up a scoring line center spot.

This year we could have really used a poor man's 2C putting up 40+ points. If Duchene does get traded, I'd give Soderberg a try there to begin next season. Put Compher at the 3C spot and Jost on MacKinnon's wing. Give Soderberg Landeskog. Get him scoring again.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Friedman says the Avs asked for and got permission from the Leafs to speak with Kyle Dubas. Very interesting.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
No, the 51-point season was the result of "misuse." He was signed because he had a rep for good two-way play (even though he played soft minutes behind the best two-way center in the NHL, which made his #s very deceiving) but only put up those numbers because injuries and Duchene's struggles prompted Roy to use him as a scoring-line pivot. Bednar placed him in the checking role he was supposed to play, and he not only struggled, he tanked it, lazily coasting around the rink in a prolonged pout all season. I will never forget the time last year he was kicked out of the faceoff circle and he was to cover the point man in a d-zone draw, the Avs lost the F/O, and he just sort of glided toward the d-man who received the puck. They scored. One of many half-assed plays he made all season.

Actually, in addition to bad defensive play, Soderberg is also a poor skater and actually not that great a playmaker. There's only one thing he does pretty well: Shoot. For whatever reason, dude knows how to put it on net...which is why I find so mystifying that Bednar didn't at least just slap him on a scoring line wing and make him into the next Mikael Samuelsson. That is the ONLY way the Avs will get their money's worth, or at the very least inflate his trade value.

I also am in the camp that believes that Soderberg has skill, and can come back to being a reasonable hockey player. He clearly tanked it this past season, and I don't believe he'll go back to the player he was unless Bednar significantly changes his approach.

I disagree with the notion that Soderberg's 51 point season was an anomaly, since he had two 40+ point seasons right before that. I also do not believe the Avs would have paid almost $5M per season for a depth center. He was brought to Colorado to play on a scoring line, I think.

You do bring up an interesting point that I hadn't considered before, in that he put up 40+ points in Boston playing behind Bergeron, hence he probably had nice matchups all season long.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
“When I played wing, it was very hard for me,” he said. “When I played left wing and posted up (on a breakout) I never see the ‘D’ coming. It feels more comfortable to be in the middle of the ice.” - See more at: http://corubberhockey.com/legally-b...y-avalanche-contributor/#sthash.7qRbK2w3.dpuf

JTC and Jost have proven nothing at the NHL level, and once again, will be given sheltered minutes.

Also:

2013-2014: 73GP- 48pts, +4
2014-2015: 82 GP- 41pts, +10
2015-2016: 82 GP- 51pts, -7
2016-2017: 80 GP- 14pts, -26

Given his history at the NHL level, I would say last season was an anomaly.

Yes, I agree. Though if the coach doesn't change his approach, this won't likely change either.

I simply don't get how more responsibility isn't placed squarely at Bednar's feet. So many players on the team had either record low career offensive output FAR below their previous worst numbers, or had much lower offensive output than they had the previous 2 years: Soderberg, Comeau, Duchene, Landeskog, Barrie, Colborne, Mitchell, McLeod. Soderberg was simply one of many.

I am more negative on Bednar than Soderberg. Far more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad