Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Drouin 2016-17 Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It'll be interesting to see who ends up being the 2nd best defenseman out of that 2013 draft. There are a few good ones in there that are still developing.

I honestly don't see anybody beating Risto out for that. He is already a #1... a number of the others have potential, but I don't see a #1 out of the group.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Bonino is going to want to cash in this summer. Don't want anything to do with him. Will probably command a 4-5 year contract at 4+M and some stupid team will give it to him even though he isn't good enough in the regular season to warrant it.

I think Del Zotto will be highly coveted this summer, too. The league values puck-moving defensemen who can skate now more than ever. He'll find a team willing to give him a multi-year deal.

I'd give him 3.5-4M over 4 seasons. Reliable 40pts center, those don't exactly grow on trees. He isn't going to break the bank wherever he signs.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd give him 3.5-4M over 4 seasons. Reliable 40pts center, those don't exactly grow on trees. He isn't going to break the bank wherever he signs.

Why? You've already got MacKinnon and Soderberg tied up to long-term deals at C, with Jost and Compher coming up on ELC's and likely playing that position, too. Even if you move one of those players, where's the room for Bonino? Unless we plan on paying nearly 5M per season for a 4C in Soderberg

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Why? You've already got MacKinnon and Soderberg tied up to long-term deals at C, with Jost and Compher coming up on ELC's and likely playing that position, too. Even if you move one of those players, where's the room for Bonino? Unless we plan on paying nearly 5M per season for a 4C in Soderberg

That's happening regardless of whether they sign another center or not.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Did you have to ruin the glimmer of hope I have regarding the blind man's situation? :(

He might get another crack at playing higher in the lineup but after what I saw for an entire NHL season and then the WHC, I'm not confident he'll make the most of it. He didn't have a long leash but he had some top six opportunities throughout the season and I didn't think his play or give a **** improved at all.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He might get another crack at playing higher in the lineup but after what I saw for an entire NHL season and then the WHC, I'm not confident he'll make the most of it. He didn't have a long leash but he had some top six opportunities throughout the season and I didn't think his play or give a **** improved at all.

I personally think the guy has checked out - and will remain that way so long as Bednar is the coach.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with him unless by some magical scenario Vegas actually takes him.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I personally think the guy has checked out - and will remain that way so long as Bednar is the coach.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with him unless by some magical scenario Vegas actually takes him.

Was he checked out during the World Championship too? 'Cause that dude got scratched multiple times.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Soderberg sucks!

He wasn't utilized correctly. I find it odd that Roy could have him put up a 51 point season, and then the very next season, under a different coach, he puts up 14. Bednar needs to be better about the situations he chooses to deploy his players. Soderberg was not put in a position to succeed this season.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We might not find a better option but giving Zadorov some easier minutes, at least to start the season, might be the way to go. He was inconsistent even on the second pairing last season and now he's coming off of that ankle injury.

I've penciled in Hanifin next to EJ at times though so it's not like my dream offseason ends with an ideal defense either.

I mean, I'm sure we'll initially put Beauchemin there, so we don't put the entire burden on Zadorov's shoulders, but if Zadorov can't prove at least semi-capable there pretty quickly, it's going to be another disaster of a season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He wasn't utilized correctly. I find it odd that Roy could have him put up a 51 point season, and then the very next season, under a different coach, he puts up 14. Bednar needs to be better about the situations he chooses to deploy his players. Soderberg was not put in a position to succeed this season.

No, the 51-point season was the result of "misuse." He was signed because he had a rep for good two-way play (even though he played soft minutes behind the best two-way center in the NHL, which made his #s very deceiving) but only put up those numbers because injuries and Duchene's struggles prompted Roy to use him as a scoring-line pivot. Bednar placed him in the checking role he was supposed to play, and he not only struggled, he tanked it, lazily coasting around the rink in a prolonged pout all season. I will never forget the time last year he was kicked out of the faceoff circle and he was to cover the point man in a d-zone draw, the Avs lost the F/O, and he just sort of glided toward the d-man who received the puck. They scored. One of many half-assed plays he made all season.

Actually, in addition to bad defensive play, Soderberg is also a poor skater and actually not that great a playmaker. There's only one thing he does pretty well: Shoot. For whatever reason, dude knows how to put it on net...which is why I find so mystifying that Bednar didn't at least just slap him on a scoring line wing and make him into the next Mikael Samuelsson. That is the ONLY way the Avs will get their money's worth, or at the very least inflate his trade value.

Soderberg sucks!

Could not agree more. He has now supplanted Bates Battaglia as my least-favorite Avs player of all time.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No, the 51-point season was the result of "misuse." He was signed because he had a rep for good two-way play (even though he played soft minutes behind the best two-way center in the NHL, which made his #s very deceiving) but only put up those numbers because injuries and Duchene's struggles prompted Roy to use him as a scoring-line pivot. Bednar placed him in the checking role he was supposed to play, and he not only struggled, he tanked it, lazily coasting around the rink in a prolonged pout all season. I will never forget the time last year he was kicked out of the faceoff circle and he was to cover the point man in a d-zone draw, the Avs lost the F/O, and he just sort of glided toward the d-man who received the puck. They scored. One of many half-assed plays he made all season.

Actually, in addition to bad defensive play, Soderberg is also a poor skater and actually not that great a playmaker. There's only one thing he does pretty well: Shoot. For whatever reason, dude knows how to put it on net...which is why I find so mystifying that Bednar didn't at least just slap him on a scoring line wing and make him into the next Mikael Samuelsson. That is the ONLY way the Avs will get their money's worth, or at the very least inflate his trade value.

Could not agree more. He has now supplanted Bates Battaglia as my least-favorite Avs player of all time.

If that's the case, we should continue to "misuse" him. 51 points would be pretty solid for a 2nd line center. Quit trying to put a square peg in a round hole and get the most of our players if that's really all there is to it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I mean, I'm sure we'll initially put Beauchemin there, so we don't put the entire burden on Zadorov's shoulders, but if Zadorov can't prove at least semi-capable there pretty quickly, it's going to be another disaster of a season.

Why do you have to go there, man? That's not cool at all. If Beauchemin is the alternative, I take back what I said about taking it slow with Zadorov.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Why do you have to go there, man? That's not cool at all. If Beauchemin is the alternative, I take back what I said about taking it slow with Zadorov.

Ha, yeah. Our options there are just really poor, and I don't see many great ways to solve it this year without screwing us in the future.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015

So, let me get this straight, he was misused and successful, but then was used properly and "tanked it." Also, he physically can not play wing because of his vision. I think we should just keep misusing him as well.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If that's the case, we should continue to "misuse" him. 51 points would be pretty solid for a 2nd line center. Quit trying to put a square peg in a round hole and get the most of our players if that's really all there is to it.

But he's a poor-man's 2C. He'd be better as a wing where his many faults and failings would be minimized. That's why I said make him the next Mikael Samuelsson. Samuelsson was the NHL equivalent of that kid in the Mighty Ducks they literally towed onto the ice just so he could shoot. That's all Samuelsson was good for...and that's all Soderberg is good for as well.

I'm exaggerating here but you get the point. In fact I'm pretty sure Samuelsson was better defensively than Sortaberg.

Anyhow, the Avs have WAY too many good options at C even if they trade away Duchene to settle for Carl taking up a scoring line center spot.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Whether he was misused or not, Soderberg did nothing over the course of the season to change Bednar's mind.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
But he's a poor-man's 2C. He'd be better as a wing where his many faults and failings would be minimized. That's why I said make him the next Mikael Samuelsson. Samuelsson was the NHL equivalent of that kid in the Mighty Ducks they literally towed onto the ice just so he could shoot. That's all Samuelsson was good for...and that's all Soderberg is good for as well.

I'm exaggerating here but you get the point. In fact I'm pretty sure Samuelsson was better defensively than Sortaberg.

Anyhow, the Avs have WAY too many good options at C even if they trade away Duchene to settle for Carl taking up a scoring line center spot.

Jost and JTC will be given softer minutes as they get acclimated to the NHL. Soderberg still has a lot of value and is a good player, he just needs to be utilized correctly. If there is not a spot on the team for him, trading him for a player that fits more in the mold of what the team is trying to do could be possible. It's also funny that players like Mack and Landeskog get passes for their seasons, yet Duchene and Soderberg get crucified for theirs.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So, let me get this straight, he was misused and successful, but then was used properly and "tanked it." Also, he physically can not play wing because of his vision. I think we should just keep misusing him as well.

I don't believe that. His vision can't be that bad if his shooting accuracy is as good as it is.

And again, the Avs have much, much better options at C before having to settle for him. I don't think one 51-point season justifies the garbage he pulled this year, nor does it justify putting him ahead of better players on the depth chart. Put him on the wing, give him decent power play minutes, and hopefully find someone dumb enough to trade for that albatross of a contract.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
I don't believe that. His vision can't be that bad if his shooting accuracy is as good as it is.

And again, the Avs have much, much better options at C before having to settle for him. I don't think one 51-point season justifies the garbage he pulled this year, nor does it justify putting him ahead of better players on the depth chart. Put him on the wing, give him decent power play minutes, and hopefully find someone dumb enough to trade for that albatross of a contract.

“When I played wing, it was very hard for me,†he said. “When I played left wing and posted up (on a breakout) I never see the ‘D’ coming. It feels more comfortable to be in the middle of the ice.†- See more at: http://corubberhockey.com/legally-b...y-avalanche-contributor/#sthash.7qRbK2w3.dpuf

JTC and Jost have proven nothing at the NHL level, and once again, will be given sheltered minutes.

Also:

2013-2014: 73GP- 48pts, +4
2014-2015: 82 GP- 41pts, +10
2015-2016: 82 GP- 51pts, -7
2016-2017: 80 GP- 14pts, -26

Given his history at the NHL level, I would say last season was an anomaly.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK

Yes. I have no problem with trying him on the wing either, but the 4C option for a guy of Soderberg's skill is garbage.

He doesn't really have "one 51-point season" though, he went 48, 44 and 51 for 3 straight years until Jared Bednar entered the picture. Which tells me that he's in actuality a very consistent albeit mediocre scoring threat when he's deployed properly. So ****ing deploy him properly.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The simple fact of the matter is that we have Soderberg, and we have to make use of him unless by some unlikely maneuver we manage to get rid of him. If that means "misusing" him on the PP and as a scoring line center, so be it. We have proof that he can be effective there. Burying him on the 4th line isn't a realistic option. You have to work with him to figure out how to make the best of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad