Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Drouin 2016-17 Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd love to have 5 minutes with Joe and just ask him what the hell he sees in Jared Bednar. Same way I wish I could ask Craig MacTavish and Kevin Lowe why they decided Dallas Eakins was a better coach than Ralph Krueger

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

It's nothing earth shattering but I still like hearing what the talking points are. I was surprised they would even admit signing Mironov is coming even if we all know it. I wonder if the Russians are making sure Mironov doesn't blow up at Worlds and extort more money out of the Avs. I wish they would have asked what attributes they are looking for in the draft, about the prospects training in Denver right now, other personnel moves. But hey that's asking too much, I know.

bear16

Dec 20, 2013
Here's a great quote from a proposal (Landeskog for Hanifin) on the main board...

"Over the past two months, I've come to the conclusion that there isn't a single player on the Avalanche roster worth Noah Hanifin straight up."

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A whole lot of nothing in that interview, as expected.

On Army, I believe they just very recently had their meetings or they're still wrapping up so I'm holding out hope that an announcement will be made soon.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'd love to have 5 minutes with Joe and just ask him what the hell he sees in Jared Bednar. Same way I wish I could ask Craig MacTavish and Kevin Lowe why they decided Dallas Eakins was a better coach than Ralph Krueger

I think Sakic is all about treating people right and he felt Bednar didn't get a proper chance.

Personally I want my GM to be a bit more ruthless, but that's just me. The only time Sakic was ruthless was when he signed a three year $21M offer sheet with the Rangers.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Here's a great quote from a proposal (Landeskog for Hanifin) on the main board...

"Over the past two months, I've come to the conclusion that there isn't a single player on the Avalanche roster worth Noah Hanifin straight up."

Just got off the Board, Canes fans are delusional. Avs are closer to solving their D problems then other teams realize:

- 2017 Draft Heiskanen (LHD - same as Hanifin) assuming we're lucky;
- 2018 Draft nearly half the prospects are quality D;
- Trade Duchene/Landy adds another D;
- Trade or Keep Barrie;
- Bigras/Mironov/Siemens (LHD);
- Meloche (RHD).

So the future is bright, even if the Canes don't offer Hanifin. D being an area of weakness will be a strength by 2019.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Can't really say I blame people for saying stuff like that after the past season.

I'm sure what they meant is of the players available they don't think anyone is worth Hanifin. I'm sure if they were offered MacKinnon they'd probably drive Hanifin to the airport themselves. The poster probably just doesn't like Duchene or Landy for Hanifin. Which is fine and they are entitled to their own opinion.

I have a very strong feeling that Hanifin will be wearing an Avs jersey in the fall. It just makes too much sense for both teams. Carolina is kind of in that we need to take that next step phase and to do that they really need a guy like Duchene to play 1C. The Avs are in complete rebuild mode a want a young high end dman to build around, which Carolina has an excess of.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Army survives, whenever he retires he should start on a speech circuit about how to charm people and influence them.

I can't help but feel like Army is squandering his ability to suck up and survive any organizational change ups. Like why isn't he using his powers to weasel his way into a gig at goldman brothers or in the administration? I bet cheetoh would love hearing Army kiss his ass so much that he'd make him secretary of state

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Just got off the Board, Canes fans are delusional. Avs are closer to solving their D problems then other teams realize:

- 2017 Draft Heiskanen (LHD - same as Hanifin) assuming we're lucky;
- 2018 Draft nearly half the prospects are quality D;
- Trade Duchene/Landy adds another D;
- Trade or Keep Barrie;
- Bigras/Mironov/Siemens (LHD);
- Meloche (RHD).

So the future is bright, even if the Canes don't offer Hanifin. D being an area of weakness will be a strength by 2019.

They aren't delusional, they have valid points. If I had Noah Hanifin I'd tell the Avs to take a hike unless they offered MacKinnon. D are too valuable, and Hanifin has too much potential. The only part where I get confused is when they then turn around and seem OK with trading Hanifin for Sam Reinhart.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They aren't delusional, they have valid points. If I had Noah Hanifin I'd tell the Avs to take a hike unless they offered MacKinnon. D are too valuable, and Hanifin has too much potential. The only part where I get confused is when they then turn around and seem OK with trading Hanifin for Sam Reinhart.

When you have Slavin-Pesce already locking up your top pairing for the next decade, a #1 dman in Faulk, and a bunch of top 4 prospects on their way; moving Hanifin for a top liner makes a lot of sense. Even if Hanifin is more likely to end up a stand out #1 than the forward they get back.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
When you have Slavin-Pesce already locking up your top pairing for the next decade, a #1 dman in Faulk, and a bunch of top 4 prospects on their way; moving Hanifin for a top liner makes a lot of sense. Even if Hanifin is more likely to end up a stand out #1 than the forward they get back.

I don't agree with that logic. You don't sell lower on a player like Hanifin just because you have other good defense. If they don't get the right return now, keep Hanifin - let him develop, maybe he becomes a #1, and then trade him for a piece better than and with less risk (younger, signed longer) than Duchene. Or become the new Nashville Predators. They already have Aho and Skinner as highly talented forwards, Rask is pretty decent, and Gauthier looks nice. That's already far more forward talent than the Preds ever had pre-Johansen and pre-Forsberg emergence. Aho could be a star. If they get the goaltending, they can build their team on the back of one hell of a defense in a couple years, see where their forwards are at, and then trade accordingly. We're i the Canes, I'd look to move Hanifin for a MacKinnon type or, barring that, go hunting this off-season and even during the next year for a top six forward with their 1st / Fleury / Bean and other pieces.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
June is usually disappear off the website time so I don't think it's out of the question yet.

I think the Bednar thing is also he didn't have the type of players he wanted. Sakic even admitted they were too slow.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd just roll with those top four if I was the Canes and if I was forced to trade someone, it'd probably be Faulk. Apparently they badly want to make the playoffs though and might not be willing to wait for Hanifin so I hope that ends up being good news for us. This summer is probably Sakic's one shot at Hanifin because if he develops like people expect, he'll be untouchable after that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't agree with that logic. You don't sell lower on a player like Hanifin just because you have other good defense. If they don't get the right return now, keep Hanifin - let him develop, maybe he becomes a #1, and then trade him for a piece better than and with less risk (younger, signed longer) than Duchene. Or become the new Nashville Predators. They already have Aho and Skinner as highly talented forwards, Rask is pretty decent, and Gauthier looks nice. That's already far more forward talent than the Preds ever had pre-Johansen and pre-Forsberg emergence. Aho could be a star. If they get the goaltending, they can build their team on the back of one hell of a defense in a couple years, see where their forwards are at, and then trade accordingly. We're i the Canes, I'd look to move Hanifin for a MacKinnon type or, barring that, go hunting this off-season and even during the next year for a top six forward with their 1st / Fleury / Bean and other pieces.

They need to become a playoff team that can excite the fanbase. And a re-invigorated Duchene would do that with the other pieces they have if Darling proves to be legit. They can't just keep waiting and losing the local populace's attention. If this was Toronto where the fans will never stop selling the stadium out regardless of price or futility; then sure, just sit tight and let your young dmen become more and more valuable. But at some point you have to get aggressive to keep your young talent from plateau'ing; and Francis is being pushed into that position.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
June is usually disappear off the website time so I don't think it's out of the question yet.

I think the Bednar thing is also he didn't have the type of players he wanted. Sakic even admitted they were too slow.

Most see it as excuse making and I think there's some truth in that but I also agree with him on that point. Bednar might be a terrible coach regardless but he was also put in a bad spot with the timing and the personnel didn't fit what he wants to do.

Where they start to lose me is when they're using those things as reasons why they failed but then Bednar is playing the **** out of some of the older slower players who consistently make mistakes and just kinda do their own thing out there. Did he use Beauchemin, Tyutin, Comeau, Bourque, etc that way because he had no one else or does he actually like those type of players?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If I was Francis... I'd honestly trade Hanifin the last out of their D. Here's how I'd order it: Hanifin > Slavin > Faulk > Pesce. Hanifin isn't as established as any of them, but it is clicking for him and he will have a breakout season next year. I believe, Pesce is probably the piece that would be the preferred centerpiece for the Canes. With some adds, I don't think it is unrealistic either.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
If I was Francis... I'd honestly trade Hanifin the last out of their D. Here's how I'd order it: Hanifin > Slavin > Faulk > Pesce. Hanifin isn't as established as any of them, but it is clicking for him and he will have a breakout season next year. I believe, Pesce is probably the piece that would be the preferred centerpiece for the Canes. With some adds, I don't think it is unrealistic either.

I don't know enough about Pesce to know if I like him or not? Should I like him or hate him if he is a center piece for Dutchy?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know enough about Pesce to know if I like him or not? Should I like him or hate him if he is a center piece for Dutchy?

Pesce is a good player. Whether or not people would be okay with him depends on their expectations. He is a solid 2/3 right now with good to great defense and solid puck moving ability. He isn't great offensively and there probably isn't more than 25 point upside in him. Kinda soft for his size too. With EJ on the top pairing, Pesce would be holding down the 2nd pairing here. Barrie would probably have to move to the left with either EJ or Pesce.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'd be pretty happy with Pesce, frankly, but I'd want something else coming along too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad