Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Drouin 2016-17 Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Most see it as excuse making and I think there's some truth in that but I also agree with him on that point. Bednar might be a terrible coach regardless but he was also put in a bad spot with the timing and the personnel didn't fit what he wants to do.

Where they start to lose me is when they're using those things as reasons why they failed but then Bednar is playing the **** out of some of the older slower players who consistently make mistakes and just kinda do their own thing out there. Did he use Beauchemin, Tyutin, Comeau, Bourque, etc that way because he had no one else or does he actually like those type of players?

Some of it he's working with the roster he's given. He definitely didn't have to play Beauch as much as he did but he did limit the others.

It's funny to me the whole "wow, we were so much better with younger players the last couple weeks of the season". That's the hilarious part. Yeah, ya think? You could have done that in December too.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Dallas really is pushing to get back in the postseason huh. Can't imagine they won't do something to find their Klingberg partner this offseason as well. If they still have their 3rd pick, I bet they'll use it on Vilardi, Mittelstadt or Glass to replace Spezza in two years.

Are they gunna be the team who overpays Alzner and gets stuck with his broken down years?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Now Dallas has to dump a goalie, and probably spend an asset to do it. They're in a really bad spot, I'm not sure there's any clean way out of it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Now Dallas has to dump a goalie, and probably spend an asset to do it. They're in a really bad spot, I'm not sure there's any clean way out of it.

Why not just buy one out? I'm not so sure Bishop is going to sign either, at least not as easy as Darling.

Too bad Avs couldn't try to sell Pickard

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bishop has been rumoured to the Stars for so long that it had to happen. They probably know what it's going to take so I think they'll get it done.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
With Varly the way he is, why should the Avs sell Picks? Who would replace Picks? Bernier?

To get assets. Any backup I guess. They could still lose him in the XD.

And before the road gets started, I'm not suggesting dump him for a random pick. Just saying the goalie market might get hot as teams scramble.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I didn't know much about Pesce but he really stood out when I tuned into a bunch of Canes games to watch Slavin and Hanifin. He's not a game breaker but he'd be a very good addition if was available. I doubt why they'd want to break up the Slavin-Pesce pairing though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
To get assets. Any backup I guess. They could still lose him in the XD.

And before the road gets started, I'm not suggesting dump him for a random pick. Just saying the goalie market might get hot as teams scramble.

Picks himself is an asset. Potentially a good one to have. He has shown he can be an effective backup behind Varly and step in for shorter injuries (longer he obviously struggled with). The expansion draft is a pretty minor issue. The Avs are going to lose somebody regardless. It could be Picks, but I really doubt it. If it is Picks though, it saves Nieto, Andrighetto, Comeau (I know people hate him, but he could be sold at next year's deadline), Barbario, etc. Those players are still assets and one would still be here because Picks was taken instead.

These teams want a starting goalie. Pickard has shown he isn't great in that role. Teams would rather take a proven option, or a player that shows more potential.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I don't agree with that logic. You don't sell lower on a player like Hanifin just because you have other good defense. If they don't get the right return now, keep Hanifin - let him develop, maybe he becomes a #1, and then trade him for a piece better than and with less risk (younger, signed longer) than Duchene. Or become the new Nashville Predators. They already have Aho and Skinner as highly talented forwards, Rask is pretty decent, and Gauthier looks nice. That's already far more forward talent than the Preds ever had pre-Johansen and pre-Forsberg emergence. Aho could be a star. If they get the goaltending, they can build their team on the back of one hell of a defense in a couple years, see where their forwards are at, and then trade accordingly. We're i the Canes, I'd look to move Hanifin for a MacKinnon type or, barring that, go hunting this off-season and even during the next year for a top six forward with their 1st / Fleury / Bean and other pieces.

Sounds like they are tired of building and want to start competing.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
If we lose Picks to VGK, what could we get from Dallas to eat one of Niemi/Lehtonen contract for them?

2018 1st? Nichushkin?

I have no idea. Niemi makes 4.5 and Lehtonen makes 5.9

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
They acquired the rights to Bishop they haven't actually signed Bishop yet so they don't have any cap issues atm. Cgy also I believe will have a net vacancy this summer and Wpg has one every summer.

Also, our moves should be dependent on us, I'm tired of speculating more about Montreal or Carolina or whichever other team than the actual roster in front.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Would Faulk still be an option for us? Probably not an ideal target, maybe if we strike out on the younger defenders.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Would Faulk still be an option for us? Probably not an ideal target, maybe if we strike out on the younger defenders.

To me, he would absolutely be ideal. Defensemen have different prime years than forwards, and his prime would line up wonderfully with the young forwards. Hanifin's prime would still be a couple years away, and MacK and Landy are already in theirs. Faulk would also mean we could shop Barrie for a young forward.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
They acquired the rights to Bishop they haven't actually signed Bishop yet so they don't have any cap issues atm. Cgy also I believe will have a net vacancy this summer and Wpg has one every summer.

Also, our moves should be dependent on us, I'm tired of speculating more about Montreal or Carolina or whichever other team than the actual roster in front.

Atm is the key there. Not only do they need to sign Bishop, but they still need 2 top6 forwards, a top pair Dman and another top4 Dman. That's a lot of money.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
If we lose Picks to VGK, what could we get from Dallas to eat one of Niemi/Lehtonen contract for them?

2018 1st? Nichushkin?

I have no idea. Niemi makes 4.5 and Lehtonen makes 5.9

We'll just probably sign Curtis McElhinney, seems like an Avs thing to do

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Atm is the key there. Not only do they need to sign Bishop, but they still need 2 top6 forwards, a top pair Dman and another top4 Dman. That's a lot of money.

For sure, but it's unlikely they'll get all the pieces they need this year.
They have 20 mil in cap space right now. Let's say closer to 14 after bishop. That gives some good flexibility to add a couple of missing pieces. They could acquire other pieces through trade moving out salary at the same time.

And if they just hold for a year, they'll get over 10 mi in additional cap space the following season.

I think they're in a very comfortable spot. Unless they're trying to fix everything in one off-season.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
I can't help but feel like Army is squandering his ability to suck up and survive any organizational change ups. Like why isn't he using his powers to weasel his way into a gig at goldman brothers or in the administration? I bet cheetoh would love hearing Army kiss his ass so much that he'd make him secretary of state

I hear that the FBI needs a new boss.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
buying out niemi costs 1.5M this year and next. 1.66M for lehtonen. they likely won't needing cap space that badly that they would be willing to give up big assets to get rid of either in cap dump trade.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
buying out niemi costs 1.5M this year and next. 1.66M for lehtonen. they likely won't needing cap space that badly that they would be willing to give up big assets to get rid of either in cap dump trade.

Yeah I looked up their term remaining after my post. Dallas would definitely be better served buying out one of them since they both only have one year remaining.

Bummer.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

We don't need a big asset, just swap firsts so we get Heiskanen. That's not too much to ask.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I would welcome any of the 4 Hurricanes defensemen. In order of who I'd want most, it'd go Hanifin > Slavin > Faulk > Pesce. If this team was to take a run at Pesce I'd expect something nice coming back with him if it's for Duchene. I'd do a 1-for-1 if it was Faulk/Slavin, and I'd be willing to add a tiny bit if it was Hanifin (not much though).

But please, Joe. Please. Get something done this summer. I don't want to hear a summer presser about how "the right deal was never out there"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad